Cancer - The Big C

THATmanMANNY

There I said it. Maybe you were directly affected or know someone or someone that knows someone. Share your stories, ask for prayers, vent. Friends or foes, you are my homies I lean on from biking, home remodeling, and making a difference.

American Cancer Society - GWB Challenge
If you can, please support the American Cancer Society by making a donation to a Team my employer has started in honor of our son Harrison. I will be walking as well.

Steps-Together is another local organization you can contribute to to make a local difference. We’ve been involved for many years and their mission is to support local families experiencing a medical crisis.

Friends have even set up a Blood and Platelet Drive on May 7th in honor of Harrison! Please help fill the time slots! Last I heard it has been 75% booked.
7393610B-1AE9-4020-8DD1-0CC51CED9ECB.jpeg

Buried in the Things That Make You Frown Thread I shared that our son was diagnosed with Leukemia mid February. He is on his 9th week of treatment and doing well. I’m posting this sitting in the chair next to him in the hospital as he is peacefully taking a nap. We are here for scheduled treatment that takes up this week. He is making progress and there isn’t a damn day I don’t tear up. I’ve also lost my shit on multiple occasions when there is bad customer service involved. Lol. The stress level is high. We are incredibly proud of him and for anyone going through this on any level, cheers to you and your loved ones. Through our challenges we are trying to find positive impacts and thank you for your continued support. ✌️ and ❤️
29555A4F-CD0E-4360-BB97-4139D0AF8ABC.jpeg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Manny, thanks for sharing this and good vibes and thoughts coming your way from my household.

You were around when my wife was going through her cancer journey and I feel for you having to experience this with your child. I am sure you are a rock for your son and wife, but please take the following of as a fellow co-survivor:

My way to deal with my wife's treatment was to try take care of everything. My son was 2 at the time, so taking care of him and then taking care of pretty much all aspects that come along with having a full-time job, a house, cars, all that stuff. I am sort of a on-the-gas person by nature anyways, but please take time for yourself and to make sure you take care of yourself, it is not selfish to do such. You can serve your son and everyone else if you are of sound body and mind. Obviously my main outlet is cycling and I have noted before that my top tubes have seen many a tear. Sometimes it would be a chill ride to get the thoughts sorted and sometimes it was smashing the pedals as an outlet for whatever was happening. Typically came back from those rides in the right head space to deal with whatever the day had in-store.

I also felt like I was in a position where I couldn't ask for help, I needed to be strong and whatever other norms I felt like I needed to live up to. Please know you can ask for help, you can talk to people that are going through the same thing, it helps.

Cancer really change my perspective on how to live. Get something out of every day and don't feel bad if you need to take a day to reset.

In happy news, my wife just celebrated her 13th cancerversary. While you are likely full consumed by this now, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, there is life beyond cancer.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Manny. You took me off guard with that news the other day. As bad as it is going through this myself, I couldn't imagine dealing with it if it were my son.

If you have any questions or need help dealing with the hospitals, reach out. My wife became a bit of a pitbull when dealing with the hospital and Dr's.

THATmanMANNY

@stb222 thank you for your pro tips and support. Congrats to your wife, you, and family. Definitely struggling to find wheel time. Like zero. When we are out of here I will do that. I make sure my wife gets her time (yoga, salon) and well that makes me happy too.

@Bike N Gear i figured haha. Sorry man. When people ask how I’m doing I’ve been straight up with them and 100% of the time they are floored. And thank you too! Your wife loves you a lot!

iman29

Kudos to you for putting this out there, we all need a way to cope and manage as caretakers and co-survivors, but this can't be a worse scenario i can think of than having to watch that little guy battle through it. Blogging here is a good way to feel the support and also be able to dump your feelings to unload a little.

Sadly everyone knows someone who has dealt with the Big C. For 6.5 years between middle school and HS I watched my Mom battle back from breast cancer 3 times before she lost the final round 1.5 months before I graduated HS. In between that time period somewhere she nursed my Dad back to health when he had a major Basal cell carcinoma on his forehead and they almost lost him on the operating table. I can still remember the sounds and smells of the trips back and forth to the hospitals which is probably why I have an aversion to anything hospital related to this day. Most of those years and the emotional, financial impacts of that are kind of a blur to be honest.

One thing for sure that still influences me today - if my Mom could take care of two young boys, a sick husband while getting Chemo, wearing a wig and going to work 5 days a week (she took the bus back then she didnt drive) then when the shit gets tough in my life I better suck it up. Your son is surely your same strength for you and your family and it seems like this has and will bring you closer.

@stb222 is right - be sure to find little things to make sure youre taking care of yourself and not feel guilty about it. It's ok to enjoy something whether its an hour or two to take a nap, go for a ride or whatever fits into your own personal situation right now.

Keep up the good fight and oh yeah F@ck Cancer. You guys got this.

Bikeworks

Manny, thanks for sharing this and good vibes and thoughts coming your way from my household.

You were around when my wife was going through her cancer journey and I feel for you having to experience this with your child. I am sure you are a rock for your son and wife, but please take the following of as a fellow co-survivor:

My way to deal with my wife's treatment was to try take care of everything. My son was 2 at the time, so taking care of him and then taking care of pretty much all aspects that come along with having a full-time job, a house, cars, all that stuff. I am sort of a on-the-gas person by nature anyways, but please take time for yourself and to make sure you take care of yourself, it is not selfish to do such. You can serve your son and everyone else if you are of sound body and mind. Obviously my main outlet is cycling and I have noted before that my top tubes have seen many a tear. Sometimes it would be a chill ride to get the thoughts sorted and sometimes it was smashing the pedals as an outlet for whatever was happening. Typically came back from those rides in the right head space to deal with whatever the day had in-store.

I also felt like I was in a position where I couldn't ask for help, I needed to be strong and whatever other norms I felt like I needed to live up to. Please know you can ask for help, you can talk to people that are going through the same thing, it helps.

Cancer really change my perspective on how to live. Get something out of every day and don't feel bad if you need to take a day to reset.

In happy news, my wife just celebrated her 13th cancerversary. While you are likely full consumed by this now, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, there is life beyond cancer.
I wanted to quote this for emphasis. As a RN, I stress this way of thinking to the family members I encounter in the ER on a daily basis. As a dad raising two (now) adults with autism, I can attest to caregiver burnout on a personal level as well. And lastly, as someone who is in remission from a rare cancer, I fully endorse living your best life, or some facsimile to it.

@THATmanMANNY I want you to know that I am wishing for nothing but the best of outcomes for your son.

Last edited:

Robin

Thanks for posting @THATmanMANNY . I lost my mom almost 3 years ago to lung cancer and COPD. The month she spent in the hospital during palliative care was hard on both my dad as well as me. Being an only child and 2 hours away...I wanted to be there as much as possible. It was then that someone told me to also take care of myself - and I always remind myself - Self. Family. Work. Everything else. I have put aside things that just don't matter anymore and spend more time with my dad and family.

Sending hugs to you and your family!!

The Kalmyk

Manny- I could only imagine how quick you would trade places! Rest assure your family will be our my family’s prayers!

I’m a 💯 for the blood drive. Will you be there?

ebineezer

Sorry to hear about your son, Manny.

TLDR
My story started a little over a year ago. I had heard about a job opening (teaching) at a different school. I had been at my job for 10 years, so I felt like it was time for a change. Plus it was closer to home and a safe town.

I was hired for the job (yay!) and part of the process required me to get an updated physical and show proof that all of my vaccinations were up to date. I went to a brand new doctor as my current physician was now out of network (I had to jump on my wife’s insurance temporarily as their was a 60 day wait period before the new insurance would kick in). I am almost done with the physical and the doctor is doing the usually “poking around”. He gets to my neck and begins staring. He then says “you have a muscular neck!”. Now, if he would have said that to me in high school, I probably would have agreed, but in my current physical state, I just shook my head and chuckled.

After staring at my neck for a while, he said “I think you should get this checked out.” I said, “ok, when?” …”tomorrow.”

At that point I knew it was more serious. It went from ultrasounds to biopsies galore. And the consensus was that it was thyroid cancer and that it was a little smaller than a tennis ball (more internal than external)

The positive was that it could be removed. I went in for the first surgery March 19, 2021. The game plan was to remove the growth and the right thyroid gland. The hope was that if there was no spread, MAYBE they could preserve the other half of my thyroid. A few weeks later they informed me that the other half would have to come out as well and that I needed another surgery within the next 6 months.

I had the second surgery in June right after school got out.

It’s such a weird story the way it all played out. Had I not been hired at the new school district, who knows when I would have gotten my next physical. Or, had I not gone to a new doctor, maybe my old physician wouldn’t have caught it.
They say things happen for a reason so that’s what I keep telling myself.

Moral of the story, don’t skip routine physicals and blood work. It could save your life. 🙏🏻

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Sorry to hear about your son, Manny.

TLDR
My story started a little over a year ago. I had heard about a job opening (teaching) at a different school. I had been at my job for 10 years, so I felt like it was time for a change. Plus it was closer to home and a safe town.

I was hired for the job (yay!) and part of the process required me to get an updated physical and show proof that all of my vaccinations were up to date. I went to a brand new doctor as my current physician was now out of network (I had to jump on my wife’s insurance temporarily as their was a 60 day wait period before the new insurance would kick in). I am almost done with the physical and the doctor is doing the usually “poking around”. He gets to my neck and begins staring. He then says “you have a muscular neck!”. Now, if he would have said that to me in high school, I probably would have agreed, but in my current physical state, I just shook my head and chuckled.

After staring at my neck for a while, he said “I think you should get this checked out.” I said, “ok, when?” …”tomorrow.”

At that point I knew it was more serious. It went from ultrasounds to biopsies galore. And the consensus was that it was thyroid cancer and that it was a little smaller than a tennis ball (more internal than external)

The positive was that it could be removed. I went in for the first surgery March 19, 2021. The game plan was to remove the growth and the right thyroid gland. The hope was that if there was no spread, MAYBE they could preserve the other half of my thyroid. A few weeks later they informed me that the other half would have to come out as well and that I needed another surgery within the next 6 months.

I had the second surgery in June right after school got out.

It’s such a weird story the way it all played out. Had I not been hired at the new school district, who knows when I would have gotten my next physical. Or, had I not gone to a new doctor, maybe my old physician wouldn’t have caught it.
They say things happen for a reason so that’s what I keep telling myself.

Moral of the story, don’t skip routine physicals and blood work. It could save your life. 🙏🏻

Liked for catching it and having a positive attitude.

THATmanMANNY

Damn and wow. Thank you for sharing your experiences and toughness everyone. Keep on fighting!
@Bikeworks @Mr. E Man @ebineezer @Bike N Gear

Cancer sucks all around but stories here and people we’ve met on this journey makes us feel lucky. Harrison was getting bruises all over his body. I just brushed it off. Mother took the initiative to get him checked at ped and the next morning we were told to go to the ER to confirm the blood work and stayed for 3 weeks. Other pediatric-leukemia patients were ill when they were admitted and stayed several months and several return stays and even divorces. Yikes!

Thanks again for your good wishes!

@The Kalmyk I would trade but I’d probably be a whining bitch going through it. I’m reg for 11:45!

Last edited:

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Manny, i forget if i said anything in the frown thread or not but i'm so sorry your little guy and your family are going through this. He seems to be a fighter though and i'm sure he's gonna beat this. As a dad of a boy about the same age, i can't even imagine how tough and scary this is. My heart goes out to you guys.
My Mom is a breast cancer survivor as well and she beat that shit in 1994 and has been healthy since. I was away at camp that summer and my parents kept the whole thing a secret from me so i have no idea how they got through it. I basically got off the bus in late Aug and they said "Mom had cancer, she had surgery, it's gone now" and even just hearing that was freaking hard and scary. Stay strong Manny!

Ejd

I just made an appointment to donate blood on the 7th. I'm reading this while eating my lunch at work, and crying. My prayers are with you and your family. Your brother in biking and cancer. Ed

Top Bottom