Can you recommend a GPS?

The compass feature on any GPS only works when you are MOVING. Otherwise, the GPS has no way of telling which way you are pointed. You can't stand still and have the GPS give you the direction that you are facing. If that is not good enough, then I suggest you try a magnetic compass (or hire a sherpa)

This issued is reduced, if not resolved by introducing the electronic compass that's in the Oregon models. Maybe i understood it wrong but this is what's said in the Garmind website about the compass in those models: 'electonic compass is similiar to a magnetic compass when you are stationary or walking. If you maintain a higher speed, such as traveling in automobile,the compass uses GPS signals to determine your direction.' So i am guessing this is a new thing for Garmin?

Do most of the mid range models let you import routes these days? I've considered a small unit (such as one of the garmin etrex models) Having used professional GPS units I'm familiar with how they track, and what your movements look like on a screen, and getting yourself oriented on the screen. I would use it as a live map, to say "you are here" at this intersection, and I could zoom out a bit to see where a left turn or a right turn would take me. But maybe I'm dreaming and that's not realistic under the canopy with a consumer grade unit. Any thoughts?

I would never recommend using a GPS to follow a loop at 6 Mile. It's too tight in there. You're better off following the map if you want to follow a course. Any place that has a myriad of intersecting trails, forget it. But if you're in a "roomier" place like MD, Mooch, etc then you can easily just follow the map and get where you need to go.

I've gotten lost in MD before, and I just zoomed out to see where I started. I went for a while, then checked again. It got me home no problem, but I can see how some people might not like that feeling of not being totally sure.

If you're going to use the arrow option, I would slow down at the intersections and let the GPS figure out which direction you're going and see where it's telling you to go, then go that way.

I used my 305 to follow your gps route at round valley and it worked flawlessly, not that RV is an interconnected trail system. Nevertheless, I couldn't foresee having any problems with it at any trails I've ridden aside from 6mile, which I have always found to be very easy to navigate.

Rule of thumb, if you're riding somewhere new and there is a chance you will get lost or lose your group, have a trail map in your camelbak or jersey pocket. I make sure I have one before I go anywhere new.

get lost

I don't know about anyone else but my best rides over all my years of riding have been the ones where I have been completly lost,out of water,no food! But lets face it it's N.J. the most roads per capita your really not gonna get life threating lost. So I say just get lost.

I am all for having fun in the trails and getting lost. I think i would love that if i had another buddy to go and get lost with. On top of that, my goal is still to learn the trails and be able to put together some good loops and know the loops well so i can do it by myself. I've got lost before to the point where it's dark and we have no idea where the trails lead and when/if we are going to get out of the woods. It's scary.

At this point, i think my best bet is to go somewhere where they are willing to demo the GPS. Without seeing it, i don't think i feel comfortable buying an expensive unit because the functionalities they offer have not convinced me nor did all the reviews i've read/heard.

So no one has used or owned a GPS from the Colorado or the Oregon series of Garmin products?

So no one has used or owned a GPS from the Colorado or the Oregon series of Garmin products?

IMHO, the Oregon & Colorado models are way too big to strap on a bike. Also, I would never mount a touchscreen where one endo could kill the screen. Thats why people gravitate towards the Edge series for biking... small and rugged.

I had the 305, now have the 705 (though the 605 is the same). You can hit the button to find your starting location with good success. I have even tested it thru 6 mile run and it didn't miss a turn. It will beep approx 30-45 ft before each turn and give an arrow of the direction you should head.

It can get annoying since it will beep as you are going thru the winding singletack because you are constantly chaning direction, even though there is no intersection to make a turn (but I guess if I were actually lost I wouldn't mind that).

The down side is that it is going to take you back the same way you came from. It just retraces your steps. If you are lost, but close to your car, its not going to point you to the proper trail to head back. Your going to do your whole ride in reverse. If you ignore the turns & later pickup the same trail, it will continue leading you back.

The 605/705 is definitely better for finding your way out of the woods than the 205/305. On the road, it can't be beat. Full color street maps. I've used it in my car also.

I had the 305, now have the 705 (though the 605 is the same). You can hit the button to find your starting location with good success. I have even tested it thru 6 mile run and it didn't miss a turn. It will beep approx 30-45 ft before each turn and give an arrow of the direction you should head.

It can get annoying since it will beep as you are going thru the winding singletack because you are constantly chaning direction, even though there is no intersection to make a turn (but I guess if I were actually lost I wouldn't mind that).

The down side is that it is going to take you back the same way you came from. It just retraces your steps. If you are lost, but close to your car, its not going to point you to the proper trail to head back. Your going to do your whole ride in reverse. If you ignore the turns & later pickup the same trail, it will continue leading you back.

The 605/705 is definitely better for finding your way out of the woods than the 205/305. On the road, it can't be beat. Full color street maps. I've used it in my car also.

Is the only difference between the 605 and the 705 the cadence and the heart rate monitor? Those are the two things i did not consider as most people said they rarely use these features.

I just looked at the manual and it did seem like it was quite along the line of what i would want. Now for those of you who mount their GPS on the stem - do you fall/crash a lot? And if so, do the GPS ever get damaged/lost because they are not securly tightened enough or other reasons? I'd hate to purchase something like that and have it broken or lost as i am sure others may have the same concern.......

Thanks for the info!

I Now for those of you who mount their GPS on the stem - do you fall/crash a lot? And if so, do the GPS ever get damaged/lost because they are not securly tightened enough or other reasons? I'd hate to purchase something like that and have it broken or lost as i am sure others may have the same concern.......

Thanks for the info!

I have had periods of significant crashing. I put a small gnarf in my 605 once, but other than that, no damage...has never fallen off....

When on the stem, it is pretty well protected...you basically have to get the bike up-side-down to hit the gps on the ground.

And how are the maps in the 605 vs the 705? Have you needed updates? Other ones that would be helpful for biking? The maps aren't exactly small investments.......

I have had periods of significant crashing. I put a small gnarf in my 605 once, but other than that, no damage...has never fallen off....

When on the stem, it is pretty well protected...you basically have to get the bike up-side-down to hit the gps on the ground.

thanks.

Is the only difference between the 605 and the 705 the cadence and the heart rate monitor? Those are the two things i did not consider as most people said they rarely use these features.

Cadence and heart rate? I use HR every single time I'm out. They're both great tools for training. Granted, I haven't wired my Cad yet, but if there's little to no price diff, get it.
You'll end up with a ton of ride data you might think isn't important until you start playing with the reports and graphs.

What i read on the garmin website is that there is a compass feature, in which it tells you the direction you need to go and the direction you are going now. Your goal is get those two pointers aligned on the compass and you should be heading towards the right direction. Now i dont know if that feature is available on all garmin products. And that's where i am a bit confused since i did not see that on the 205/305s - how do they navigate?

The one TommyJay mentioned and all the Oregon series ones have this compass feature and that, as i see, is what i am looking for in regards to navigation. But unfortunately these ones are pricier..... Unless i missed something huge......

Sorry it took so long to get back to you - I've been swamped at work these last few days. In terms of getting back, I typically retrace the route that I stored as I ride. When you come to a fork in the trail, you just head in the direction indicated by the trail marked on the gps (it shows your previous route as a colored line and your current position as a big arrow. keep the arrow on the line, and you're good to go).

You can of course, use the compass and heading information, or find location (if you stored your start point), but I think that's overkill.

One thing I will say - with the gps and US Topo 2008 loaded and the DEP map of allamuchy, I had no problems navigating when straying off the marked trails. The contour lines on the GPS agreed precisely with those on the map, so when I was'nt on a marked trail I could still tell where I was with reference to the map.

In terms of ease of use, I found the 60Csx to be really intuitive for all of the basic features I've tried.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you - I've been swamped at work these last few days. In terms of getting back, I typically retrace the route that I stored as I ride. When you come to a fork in the trail, you just head in the direction indicated by the trail marked on the gps (it shows your previous route as a colored line and your current position as a big arrow. keep the arrow on the line, and you're good to go).

You can of course, use the compass and heading information, or find location (if you stored your start point), but I think that's overkill.

One thing I will say - with the gps and US Topo 2008 loaded and the DEP map of allamuchy, I had no problems navigating when straying off the marked trails. The contour lines on the GPS agreed precisely with those on the map, so when I was'nt on a marked trail I could still tell where I was with reference to the map.

In terms of ease of use, I found the 60Csx to be really intuitive for all of the basic features I've tried.

Thanks for the info!

Did you people all go to a store and try out the different units and see how they work before you made the purchase? If so, where is a good store that has a good selection? (there aren't seem to be a large number of places with a good selection) I think i have a few that i am interested but i will have to see how it works to convince me......

Back
Top Bottom