Buying frame vs Complete bike

Bora

So I have a "green light" granted by my wifey to get another bike- Niner Rip9. It looks like the cheapest option I have is to go with purchasing the frame and the components separated and then building the bike. What are the PROs and CONs of buying the frame vs the full bike? How much the LBS usually charges to build the bike?

Fire up Excel and run the numbers. Sometimes it is cheaper to purchase a frame and throw your own goodies on it afterwards. Most people that buy frames are upgrading something they currently have and don't need any of the parts that are on the complete bike. A special seat, brakes you love, a wheelset, etc.

Buying a full bike will always be cheaper as bike companies buy mass amounts of parts and give them to you cheaper as a package. Does this mean you will end up spending less in the long run? I dont know because many times you become uphappy with a certain components performance and want to upgrade. This is common with the stock wheels or fork. On the other hand you can sometimes get better components than you would be able to afford buying them all seperatley. So basically I probably just confused you more.

Also, if you are buying a frame and components seperatley dont forget to factor in the cost of assemly (unless you can put it together your self) and all the extras you will need (housing, cables, can you shorten your hydraulic brake lines yourself?, misc. bolts/screws, you get the idea)

I haven't bought a complete bike for myself since 1994, wow that's like when Pearl started kindergarten...

I cant imagine buying frame and building is cheaper than buying a complete. In fact, I bought a complete X-Cal because I knew that taking all those parts and transferring to my Misfit frame would be cheaper than buying parts. Then turned around and sold the frame for almost twice as much as the diSSent frame, so maybe that's a 3rd option.

The Niner Rip9 frame is 1200
The build kit based on XT components comes to about 1200-1300 (crankset, cassette, derailleurs, brakes, wheels)
The Reba RLT TI 29er I can score for 550.
The total is 3050.

I can do small stuff (derraileur installation/adjustment, brakes bleeding), but not the complete bike (like bb or headset, cassette installation- since it requires tools).
I just do not think I can get the RIP9 even close to this number based on what people were buying it complete.

The Niner Rip9 frame is 1200
The build kit based on XT components comes to about 1200-1300 (crankset, cassette, derailleurs, brakes, wheels)
The Reba RLT TI 29er I can score for 550.
The total is 3050.

I can do small stuff (derraileur installation/adjustment, brakes bleeding), but not the complete bike (like bb or headset, cassette installation- since it requires tools).
I just do not think I can get the RIP9 even close to this number based on what people were buying it complete.

Rip frame for $1200....wow, good deal!

Sigh I am lost now =|
It does make sense to buy the build, but as stated- the frame is damn cheap compared to the msrp.

You owe it to yourself to check with a local Niner dealer. Just tell them the price you can get it for, and see if they can match it. If they can, Thats the route to take.
If you buy it from them you wont have to worry about install. You'll also get good service when something goes wrong. And if you need to warranty something, you will have them working for you.

Ive done it all ... internet piece by piece, custom build at LBS, and a stock complete bike from an LBS. The best deal was the custom build at a LBS.

So here is what advice I have given before and has worked well for others.

1st purchase frame

2nd purchase something like this

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29pro_SL_xii.htm

xtr 2x10, 15mm maxle dual air reba elixir silver brakes serviceable crank and wheels

this is at the top you can look to a lesser model if you choose. This of course will not work if you desire a fork of more then 100mm.

I know nothing about rip so you need to look at seatube size to be sure front derl. matches and post

This will get you rolling with a spare frame to sell or keep...

Last edited:
That's the way to do it. Probably won't get much for that frame but you could build it up as a budget SS or commuter.

I would go with Matt suggestion. I'm trying to buy Moto TI but the damn thing is sold out...

Matty's suggestion is awesome and I would def do it... But the Rip is 120mm =(
I called the lbs and I will most likely end up getting it there if the price is right.

Last edited:
Matty's suggestion is awesome... But the Rip is 120 =(

buy the package and sell the shock to purchase the right one, I've done stuff like that before. Hell I ordered the X-cal frame in a 17.5 so it would be a easier sell than the size I'd used. You should have no problem selling that fork.

Nice

I built my bike from the ground up. I bought most of the components online. Saved a ton of money and didnt pay any sales tax. I was able to really customize all the right brands, bling that I wanted. Once done, I simply brought everything to my LBS where they charged me around $200 to put everything together. How antsy are you looking to ride it? My only point, a lot of the nice 2012 components havent come out yet but look for them around Feb-March. However, if you know what you want, now is the time to pull the trigger because many of the retailers are trying to get rid of 2011 parts. You can get fantastic deals now on the top of the line stuff. Have fun.

Back
Top Bottom