Building up mobility, strength and resilience when in the 50s to notch up the MTB skillset

carvegybe

Thought to gather some thoughts from this community on preparing my body to notch up my skills building. I feel I hit a glass ceiling with my MTB skills and, being in my 50s, I'd like to spend a few weeks improving my readiness for more explosive training moves, for example trying to get bunny hopping dialed, etc. I have the upper body of a chess player, so I need to make sure whatever muscles I have are primed to protect me and deliver the strength I need on the bike. I've had a few injuries, so I know this is important. I particularly need to strengthen the core and upper body.

Time is my biggest limiter so I don't want to test out multiple different programs. I'd rather do something that people have actual experience with and that works.

I imagine I need something like a 6-8 week program starting with mobility, power build-up using own body weight, progressing to weights while at the same time practicing dynamic movements, like squat jumps etc. I am sure there will be side planks, bird dogs, etc... but, for example, I am not sold on isometrics. But I can be convinced otherwise. I imagine this would include short sets of daily exercises and perhaps 2-3 days a week in the gym.

Fitness wise, I'm good and have been doing structured training consistently over last 5-6 years or so, but this is on an indoor training bike, so this has created asymmetries that I need to deal with, such as hip mobility, etc.

Any recommendations would be appreciated....but please limit your advice to something you've actually done and have direct experience with.

I'm of course willing to pay for a good, well-thought through program.

Thanks!

intervals….. find a hill, the steeper the better.
One of my favorite is to climb in the easiest gear as fast as I can, go to the bottom and drop a gear and repeat…. Keep at it till you are climbing in the hardest gear…. With warm up and cool down it takes 20-30 minutes

I have found kettlebells to give me what you seem to be looking for, and the nature of the movements helps mobility. Because you never get into super heavy weight, injury is less of a concern as well. My current program has helped my mobility tremendously, particularly in regard to back and shoulder pain.
I would recommend looking at Mark Wildman’s YouTube channel, especially the nerd math series for program design and his warm up series. He has good stuff on heavy clubs which I am intrigued about, but don’t have the time for.
I keep my program simple, prioritizing consistency over quick strength development. On A days, I run mobility ( jumping jacks, halos, round the worlds, bird dog, windmill,) Turkish get ups, swings, and clean and press , finish with 10 minutes of yoga. B days mobility, pull-up and goblet squats super sets, then snatches, with short sets of farmer walks and rows, finish with 10 minutes yoga. I will vary exercise combos throughout year, but always keep a swing and TGU in the line up as they are the exercises that keep my pains away, one helps with power and other with grind strength. I think the TGU is an amazing exercise that hits just about every muscle in a low impact manner, and if I could only do one exercise that would be it. I have 4 bells and mix in heavier ones gradually until I eventually phase out the lightest one. Swing progression might look like: 10 sets 10 on the minute, week 1: light bell all sets, week 2: light bell 8 sets; medium bell 2 sets, etc. after week 5 go back to week 3 and start progression again. Rinse and repeat. Think of building a program that will will run for years not months.

I have the upper body of a chess player

Impressive!

5617762604941312.jpg

You really don’t need much, most of the skills you are taking about are technique over strength.

For reference, have you gotten hurt trying to bunny hop?

You really don’t need much, most of the skills you are taking about are technique over strength.

For reference, have you gotten hurt trying to bunny hop?
I agree, but I think my base mobility, strength and resilience needs to be better than it is. This is why I am thinking about a few weeks to establish a reasonable base rather than many months of the same. And yes, I hurt my shoulder trying to do a manual front wheel lift, but that was me being stupid and started to do drills without warming up. That shoulder injury took a few months to heal and I still have slightly limited range of movement.

The technique side of things is another story, but one step at a time...

I had a Total Knee last dec. I worked with a trainer 2 days a week for a year before hand and since. My trainer loves this guy:

Movements that challenge your range of motion, stability and core are pretty vital. Mix in slow flow yoga and some perhaps some power yoga. I'm also a fan of a sauna / cryo mix.

Best of luck.

As someone (55 y/o) currently experiencing knee pain (maybe meniscus) caused by who knows what, after visiting an ortho Dr, acupuncturist friend and now working with a PT, the common reason is age and weak hips. As a cyclist with running for cross training and weight bearing exercises for strength, the movements are mostly linear. So the PT movements have been lateral targeting my hips for flexibility and strength.

Last edited:
Thought to gather some thoughts from this community on preparing my body to notch up my skills building. I feel I hit a glass ceiling with my MTB skills and, being in my 50s, I'd like to spend a few weeks improving my readiness for more explosive training moves, for example trying to get bunny hopping dialed, etc. I have the upper body of a chess player, so I need to make sure whatever muscles I have are primed to protect me and deliver the strength I need on the bike. I've had a few injuries, so I know this is important. I particularly need to strengthen the core and upper body.

Time is my biggest limiter so I don't want to test out multiple different programs. I'd rather do something that people have actual experience with and that works.

I imagine I need something like a 6-8 week program starting with mobility, power build-up using own body weight, progressing to weights while at the same time practicing dynamic movements, like squat jumps etc. I am sure there will be side planks, bird dogs, etc... but, for example, I am not sold on isometrics. But I can be convinced otherwise. I imagine this would include short sets of daily exercises and perhaps 2-3 days a week in the gym.

Fitness wise, I'm good and have been doing structured training consistently over last 5-6 years or so, but this is on an indoor training bike, so this has created asymmetries that I need to deal with, such as hip mobility, etc.

Any recommendations would be appreciated....but please limit your advice to something you've actually done and have direct experience with.

I'm of course willing to pay for a good, well-thought through program.

Thanks!
Crosssfit.

Crosssfit.

I have been doing CrossFit for 2 years and seeing gains in strength. I only rode a bike for years and had limited mobility and no strength.

I especially like the Olympic moves like cleans and deadlifts. I like bar stuff...wall balls and burpees not so much but know they are helping.

Basic truth from another 50+ here. If you don’t incorporate changes into your lifestyle going forward PERMANENTLY, then don't bother. Don't fall victim to the Bicycling Magazine cover story, "How to be a better climber" that they would publish every spring for 20 years.

How do you become a better climber? Climb.
How do you become a better chess player? Play chess.
How do you become better at fielding ground balls at shortstop? Field ground balls at shortstop.

Do I need to go on? Whatever it is you're trying to be better at, do that thing. You're not going to do any 6-8 week program then get on the bike and magically be better. It's just not going to happen and at 50+ it's not going to happen even more.

So you need to step back and take stock of what it is you're really trying to do here. Ask yourself this question also. In your 50+ years how often have you tried to do something you really didn't inherently want to do, and have it stick? Ok maybe brushing & flossing your teeth. I mean who wants to do that? I'll grant that. But if you don't like lifting weights, or crossfit, or whatever, you won't stick with it and then you'll be that much closer to 60 without having made progress.

I'll give you these 2 recommendations.
  1. Figure out what you're trying to be better at and find some time to practice this specific set of things
  2. Stretch for 20 minutes before bed every night. At my age, I have found this is invaluable
  3. Bonus line item - reassess in 2 months and see where you're at

Honestly, at 50+ I’m just glad to be back on my bike at all. Was expecting more results from what I did for PT this year starting in this past April. Was expecting to be bunny hopping again by now but I’m not, those are the kind of moves that give me pain, not joy, now. I’ve met plenty of goals and feel really good but wasn’t realistic about them when I started. Getting more fit, stronger, smoother and faster by riding more in the woods is my main motivation.

I’m also part of the 50+ cadre and agree with the previous two posts. Came back to biking 12 years ago. I started DH biking for the first time last spring and now have two summers of meager skills but I love it. Started by rolling tabletops and still can’t hold a manual but now can handle most medium or smaller drops. Went to Trexler and Glenn Park when creek closed for the season and just practiced, having a blast the whole time. Make it something you enjoy. Good luck.

I agree, but I think my base mobility, strength and resilience needs to be better than it is. This is why I am thinking about a few weeks to establish a reasonable base rather than many months of the same.
58yo here. I have always been active, but about a year ago I committed to an active stretching regime to target my problem areas. Let me tell you I am genetically “inflexible”, so this was a huge step in my fitness. End result was a moderate increase in targeted “stiff” areas, but most notably, all my daily aches and pains have disappeared.

Truth: It was a big impact on my daily routine, dedicating 45+ minutes each day only to stretching, forcing me to cut back on other areas. But the quality of life gains were worth it.

Last edited:
58yo here. I have always been active, but about a year ago I committed to an active stretching regime to target my problem areas. Let me tell you I am genetically “inflexible”, so this was a huge step in my fitness. End result was a moderate increase in targeted “stiff” areas, but most notably, all my daily aches and pains have disappeared.

Truth: It was a big impact on my daily routine, dedicating 45+ minutes each day only to stretching, forcing me to cut back on other areas. But the quality of life gains were worth it.
I'm In the 60 + crowd. Can't stress stretching enough. I think this is why I can still ride a hardtail.

I'm also starting to do body squats and push-ups.

Last, I keep wanting to improve my skills, but I don't want to practice.
If I practiced my skills would i.prove.

Edit added stuff

Last edited:
Over 50 and I've been riding and lifting my entire adult life (look very much more like a cyclist). The body is very specific and it's almost impossible to be good at everything. Crossover benefits are debatable, but it's good to try to be in good all-around shape. Be careful at this age how far you take it or you will get injured. I'm sure you can find some 70 y/o 150 lb guy deadlifting 500 lbs for reps on YouTube, but that's not the norm. You're at the age when most lifelong people are scaling back on heavy and/or explosive stuff. What you said with the bodyweight stuff makes sense. Careful with things like squat jumps; see how you react to them.

Last, I keep wanting to improve my skills, but I don't want to practice.
I still ride a BMX, so I do practice a lot. When I picked the 20” wheels a few years ago, after a 15-year hiatus, it took me a solid year to be strong enough to ride like I wanted. I will also take small risks so I do crash. And crashing without getting hurt tells me I’m physically prepared and know how to bail.

What I’m getting at, is getting on the ground, stretching or whatever, is really good for you. Getting down and up repeatedly during exercise, is really good for you. Finding ways to exercise the balance of your core (that doesn’t always get used cycling) is good for you. So, feel free to get down!

Off season weight training will make a huge difference in performance, injury prevention and recovery. All these things get harder after 50. I would be happy to show you a customized plan based on your current fitness and goals.

Check out my website. Cheers!
(shameless plug 😏)

Back
Top Bottom