BubbleCross

One of my favorite races of the year, sooo bummed I had to miss this. Work was crazy all week and I had to help with an install on Sunday. Stoked to see it back at the old venue, course looked super fun in the video. The added length of the first sand section after the playground looks tiring.

Can you do another one Thanksgiving weekend?!

There really should be an early thanksgiving morning "fun" race.

It would be fun to get a crew at holster park for Thanksgiving Worlds.

-pom

imagine it in reverse? coming down that double track into the beach?! BUBBLE DOUBLE, it even rhymes.
I'd bring my mtb for that. And ride the stairs after the loose sand. I'm in! MTBubbleNJ 2015? How long does it take to organize an event?

So this entire season everyone at every race pretty much has been complaining/whining about the courses. When I got out of my car at Bubble I wanted to be the annoying asshole who was all positive this time about the course. Turns out, everyone isn't negative, people just prefer a course like Bubble. Everyone was positive about the course.

I think the downhill into the beach would be...interesting. I really liked the challenge of riding the beach then going up the hill. Going down and into the sand would be an entirely new dynamic. Spectator friendly I'm sure...

How about going "up" the downhill that led into the finishing straight? That would be interesting for sure.

I try not to complain about courses...at least publicly. It's really hard work to put on a CX race and I appreciate those who can and are willing to do so. Certain tracks suit certain people better so people will always complain when the odds aren't in their favor.

Grass crits can be fun but I'm definitely of the mindset that cx courses should be challenging. Difficult elements make for better racing and can separate those with technical abilities from those who just have a lot of power. Good courses all seem to have a lot of the same ingredients: well thought out turns that flow but are deceptively tricky at race speed, elements of risk/reward (i.e. take the safe slow line or the risky fast line), climbing that is well distributed throughout the lap (rather than just up and just down), and some "signature" features (not to be read as whirlybird/death spiral/pinwheel). The bubble course ticks off all those criteria for me.

A great venue like Providence or Gloucester makes it much easier to create a great track. But one can do a lot even in a sub-par venue like a lot of the ones we are stuck with in NJ. Mill Creek was a great example of a very marginal venue--essentially pancake flat park with one dirt mound--but the promoters were able to build a fun and challenging track because it was clear they thought it out and probably spent the time to dial in the lines.

Bubble venue has so much great terrain to work with. I think it could easily support 2 very different courses in the same weekend without just running it backwards. Easy for us to say that it should be a double but the truth is it's a lot of extra work for the promoters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom