Bring your Pizza skillz

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Sorry, can't do. Apply some of whatever that is to your vent hood, tho. šŸ”„
Ironic coincidence, while watching Shark Tank this evening I learned that "shiny head issue" is an actual thing and might be due to my shampoo (in combination with my actual hair loss obviously šŸ˜„)

PS: not my vent hood. That kitchen costs more than my house.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
We had Detroit style pizza recently and have been been sort of making it at home. We donā€™t have the ā€œofficialā€ steel pan so weā€™ve really just been making a pan pizza. Still pretty good though.

225B3F9E-1987-48FD-B61E-1239F129DA41.jpeg

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i want to step my game up and use dough; we cheap and use the flatbreads from the grocery store. thanks for the inspiration

Karate Monkey

I thought this was the prettiest one from the last few weeks, but I'm still having trouble pinning the cooking temperature down with wood.

AM-JKLXMFWdMf08-ZVRaqUCwC-eznJO9LHrJTpBwRTEbh56WMe4mlKmlnPniKPhJXXAoOxJXNPQf4teYBCGB0do_2cPq7t6AQ09qzuNJPXsMvUEsA_1_QA2lebDRtKHontV0NdYPGHoFnFlC0w1mls3TEY7n=w1300-h976-no

I bought one of the gas burners for the Karu, too, but I found that it took forever to heat up compared to wood (though, in defense of the oven: it was, like, 28 degrees out). I can't say I've noticed a big difference in smokey flavor/not with the wood running, even choking the air flow. It is, bar none, my favorite appliance to clean after cooking; no matter how crappy it looks inside, chuck 2-3 pieces of wood into the already hot firebox, and let it rip. After cooling, you can literally wipe any soot off with a damp cloth, and it's ready to go.

My sauce recipe for those interested:

2 #8 cans of Nina San Marzano tomatoes in puree. (The "mid" sized big can. NOT the giant one; the can should say "D.O.P." on it)
1 large/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
4-5 pieces of garlic, finely chopped
4-5 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 tablespoons of Italian blend (Oregano, basil, whatever). Fresh is good.
1 heaping tablespoon of red pepper flakes OR 4-5 dried 'bird's eye' peppers. You can use fresh, too. You do you.
Wine for de-glazing

Grab the onions, chop finely (err on the side of minced, if you aren't going to blend the sauce). Likewise the garlic, herbs, and lastly the dried peppers. Heat the olive oil on highish heat in your largest stock pot until shimmering, then throw in the pepper. The air is going to get VERY angry; after 30 seconds/the oil has taken on a red hue, throw in the onion. Caramelize the onions; you can add a tablespoon of sugar/honey/syrup/whatever to speed the caramelization along. Once almost there, toss in the garlic/herbs, and cook until the garlic is beginning to go translucent. Add your dash of wine to de-glaze the pot, then add your tomatoes--I use a ladle, since trying to pour those cans from full is a recipe for tomato everywhere. Keep the heat on highish, waiting for the sauce to start simmering. Once there, cook for ~10-15 minutes at the same heat level, then reduce to your lowest heat burner at the lowest setting. I leave it on for most of the day, but it's ready to go if you want...you will want to add a couple of tins of tomato paste if you aren't letting it cook down all day. The astute will notice that I did not include salt in the recipe--excess salt is a dietary concern in the house, so add salt if you wish. I do not, under the auspices of it going on pizza that usually has some kind of salted mozzarella on it.

For chunky sauce, mash it with a potato masher, otherwise use an immersion blender to liquify it. Makes roughly 5 liters (because that's the size of my jars).

Zaskar

Made a few last night. Started by preheating the Ooni oven at the low end of the dial and then turned it halfway on for cooking. Seemed more manageable..

Sausage, potato, onion w mozz and blue cheese
IMG_20220406_185402.jpg
Sausage and mozz
IMG_20220406_185406.jpg
And a couple of plain and pepperoni pies. The pep was the last one cooked and it didn't launch properly off the peel.
IMG_20220406_185409.jpg

Top Bottom