Bring a Trailer - OMFG or On Topic

OK here we go Part 1:

Bought the Jeep when I was about 14, worked on it so much over the next few summers that I burned out on it before I could drive it. Sat in my grandfathers garage for years, then I sold it to a friend of my brother.

My first real car. Bought it for $50, replaced the motor with a low mileage junkyard find and sold it for $650 3 years later. Mine was orange with a black stripe.

Used the money to buy this. Drove this all through college. Thing ate starters like nothing. Wasn't anywhere near as nice as this, but same color scheme and had the working cowl induction hood. Sold it to my brother and he wrecked it. :mad:

My mom was looking for a new car and she liked the Dodge Omni. We went to look at them and they had a GLH on the lot, somehow me and my brother convinced her to buy it. When I got a real job after school I needed something more reliable so my Mom sold it to me. Fun car and with a boost bleed off it would at least hang with the junky Camaros and Mustangs of the time.

Last edited:
OK here we go Part 1:

Bought the Jeep when I was about 14, worked on it so much over the next few summers that I burned out on it before I could drive it. Sat in my grandfathers garage for years, then I sold it to a friend of my brother.

My first real car. Bought it for $50, replaced the motor with a low mileage junkyard find and sold it for $650 3 years later. Mine was orange with a black stripe.

Used the money to buy this. Drove this all through college. Thing ate starters like nothing. Wasn't anywhere near as nice as this, but same color scheme and had the working cowl induction hood. Sold it to my brother and he wrecked it. :mad:

My mom was looking for a new car and she liked the Dodge Omni. We went to look at them and they had a GLH on the lot, somehow me and my brother convinced her to buy it. When I got a real job after school I needed something more reliable so my Mom sold it to me. Fun car and with a boost bleed off it would at least hang with the junky Camaros and Mustangs of the time.

it might take me a week to remember all the cars i owned......had an omni too! it was great in the snow.

well you made me do it so I had to search for a 77 Monte Carlo.

I found this one - omg that lime green is hideous especially on the interior but the 76 and the 77 were very similar.

I bought a 77 MC just like this in college but I had to bring it home on a tow truck. It was black (and rust) with a white interior and bench seats and a very worn out 305 2bl carb. I spent about a month just to get it up and running but within 3 months the engine needed too much work to fix. I found a donor car which was the exact same car and was even Black but it had the upgraded red interior with the factory swivel seats. I also found a junkyard 454 vette motor with xxx miles on it and since this body style was already setup to accept a big block it was an easy swap. i did it with a friend in his 1 car garage in the middle of February it was so cold and we had just basic tools but somehow we got it running. I ran out of money for the exhaust so we ran 45 degree couplers from the header mufflers and bolted some pipes to the frame to exit the exhaust from in front of the rear wheels. the engine got a top end tear down and cleanup with a little bit beefier cam and aluminum intake and a Carter carb. Had to upgrade the trans to handle the extra HP and I put in a shift kit i could chirp the wheels between 1st and 2nd gear pretty easily which was cool for a 5000lb car.

the first week i had to drive it so slow because the weight of the bigger engine sagged the front springs so bad the header collectors would constantly scrape the ground. I found a set of Chevelle station wagon springs and put those up front - it was almost like a gasser they were so much taller but helped a lot.

I drove that thing around for 4 years with a toolbox in the trunk and always had a pile of spare parts because it was always breaking down but a lot of good memories in that thing. Too bad I dont even think I have one picture of it.

After dumping 1000's of dollars into turning it from a POS to a faster POS i sold it to the guy who helped me rebuild the engine for like 600 bucks and then about a year later the frame finally rusted out in the front (known issue) and he told me one day he went over a speed bump and the front end of the body separated from the chassis so he had to junk it.

if it was fully restored i guess it would look like this. If I had discretionary money for fun i would find one just like this and buy it in 3 seconds.

Attachments

• A369A96D-1752-4534-A70C-2FEA21CB0DEF.jpeg
    A369A96D-1752-4534-A70C-2FEA21CB0DEF.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 7
First car, but mine was shit brown.

Second car, but '80 in black.

First brand new car. Barrecrafter ski rack, not luggage rack.

$1200 repair estimate at VW dealer for various shit, so I walked to showroom and traded it in for this, for $24 more per month.

All trucks after this. Too boring. Wife got the sports cars.

OK here we go Part 1:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-jeep-cj5-2/

did you paste the URL from an iphone or ipad?

the pasted link acts differently than pasted text URL - although the unfurl was attempted here,
for some reason it failed. the system will retry at some point.

OK - I have a problem. Can't stop looking at BaT.
Lots of window shopping, and the cars are nice.
Cool to see things related to cars owned (ie @UtahJoe's 'stang)

But once in a while, there is something...

Like a Ferrari Daytona. it is the example of the time, and stands on its own. While i like other cars much more (there are better 'vettes)
this is an OMFG icon.

View attachment 142362

Don Johnson, this is the real thing.
not an abomination!

View attachment 142363
any opportunity to drop the best scene in ferrari daytona history :)

im on there non stopped looking for old trucks and things....always loved the front ends of these

Guilty. I want an air cooled 911. Definitely a few years away from making this a reality.

Haz anybody here actually bought or sold a car on BaT? If/when the inlaws decide to sell their amazing W123 wagon that'll be the place for it.

https://bringatrailer.com/2014/01/23/1985-dodge-omni-glh/
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-jeep-cj5-2/

did you paste the URL from an iphone or ipad?

the pasted link acts differently than pasted text URL - although the unfurl was attempted here,
for some reason it failed. the system will retry at some point.
No, working from my home computer. ??

Good watching on a miserable day - Mecum auction from Indy is live on NBCSN. I plan in hitting their Kissimmee venue next year

Back
Top Bottom