Brewery news

JDurk

Apparently, like dogs, people now think the rest of the world must believe their kids are as adorable as they think they are. They're not.
I don't dislike kids or dogs. You nailed it about the dogs. Not looking to derail my OP, but I go thru this daily as the president of my company brings all FOUR of his dogs to the office because, as he likes to brag to others, especially when visitors come in the office, "To keep the women happy." A day doesn't go by that someone comes into the office and 2 or more dogs start barking and he yells at them by name.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
I respect that this brewery is implementing this policy, particularly because of the small space at the Kensington spot. I would consider it bad business if done for philosophical reasons alone, but it makes sense in cases like this. Some places that serve alcohol should absolutely be 21+ to enter.

We occasionally bring our kids to breweries, but never just to drink with other adults. In states that have common sense laws that allow breweries to serve food, we see it as no different than a restaurant. In places like jerz that lobbied breweries out of the food business, we occasionally find ourselves bringing them when we can BYOF or have a meal delivered. Having a DD goes without saying, and it isn't just when we are out of the house.

Our philosophy has always been to integrate our kids into our daily lives, not change everything we do because we decided to become parents. We've taken them out to eat from when they were months old, and I can't think of a time that they impacted anyone else's dining experience in a negative way. They don't need toys or special treatment, they are simply part of our family and we (usually) enjoy spending time together. In my experience, other people's kids "bothering" us in a brewery/restaurant happens far less compared to other adults doing so.

So my take here is that some parents are bad at teaching their kids how to conduct themselves in public, and some adults don't do very well there either. It's all part of being human; the best and worst thing about it is other humans.

To those who would like to see kids blanket banned from breweries, would you also support a no elderly people policy? No kids in restaurants? Stuff like this makes the eventual retirement far from the US more palatable by the day. I'm pretty certain that this will not be a topic of conversation in Costa Rica anytime soon.

Re: dogs, I feel absolutely the same. Some of our most enjoyable dining out experiences have been with our dog sitting under the table. Same rules apply.

Captain Brainstorm

I respect that this brewery is implementing this policy, particularly because of the small space at the Kensington spot. I would consider it bad business if done for philosophical reasons alone, but it makes sense in cases like this. Some places that serve alcohol should absolutely be 21+ to enter.

We occasionally bring our kids to breweries, but never just to drink with other adults. In states that have common sense laws that allow breweries to serve food, we see it as no different than a restaurant. In places like jerz that lobbied breweries out of the food business, we occasionally find ourselves bringing them when we can BYOF or have a meal delivered. Having a DD goes without saying, and it isn't just when we are out of the house.

Our philosophy has always been to integrate our kids into our daily lives, not change everything we do because we decided to become parents. We've taken them out to eat from when they were months old, and I can't think of a time that they impacted anyone else's dining experience in a negative way. They don't need toys or special treatment, they are simply part of our family and we (usually) enjoy spending time together. In my experience, other people's kids "bothering" us in a brewery/restaurant happens far less compared to other adults doing so.

So my take here is that some parents are bad at teaching their kids how to conduct themselves in public, and some adults don't do very well there either. It's all part of being human; the best and worst thing about it is other humans.

To those who would like to see kids blanket banned from breweries, would you also support a no elderly people policy? No kids in restaurants? Stuff like this makes the eventual retirement far from the US more palatable by the day. I'm pretty certain that this will not be a topic of conversation in Costa Rica anytime soon.

Re: dogs, I feel absolutely the same. Some of our most enjoyable dining out experiences have been with our dog sitting under the table. Same rules apply.
Your kids are exceptions to the rule, or raised "old school" like many of us were. We didn't take our kids out until they were at the age where they could order their own food and drink, and could sit in a chair without the compulsion to get up and start wandering around. These days its let the kids loose so they're out of our hair, screw everyone else. Its a problem though when some random 2-3yr old is trying to climb my table to grab my fries and their parents think its adorable. Then there's the soccer balls and footballs bouncing off your legs/table because everyone's kid is the next Lionel Messi or Tom Brady, and need to go everywhere with a ball, like a dog. You know if your kids behave badly, you live with them, don't act surprised. Then there's the ball-sniffing and begging for food from dogs. I was at Hill Farm once when there were so many dogs they literally formed a pack and started wandering around. It was entertaining though to watch there owners get up and scramble when the pack started to drift off of the grounds and head towards the road. I love dogs and miss mine dearly, but they're not people. They lick their balls and eat their own shit (and other's shit) no matter how you dress them up or whatever human name you give them. They don't need to go everywhere you do unless they can fit in your purse or man-purse. Are there exceptions to the rule? Yes, there always are, but I also remember when the exception to the rule was poor behavior. Its ok for kids to be kids, but there's a time and place.

Cole

Your kids are exceptions to the rule, or raised "old school" like many of us were. We didn't take our kids out until they were at the age where they could order their own food and drink, and could sit in a chair without the compulsion to get up and start wandering around. These days its let the kids loose so they're out of our hair, screw everyone else. Its a problem though when some random 2-3yr old is trying to climb my table to grab my fries and their parents think its adorable. Then there's the soccer balls and footballs bouncing off your legs/table because everyone's kid is the next Lionel Messi or Tom Brady, and need to go everywhere with a ball, like a dog. You know if your kids behave badly, you live with them, don't act surprised. Then there's the ball-sniffing and begging for food from dogs. I was at Hill Farm once when there were so many dogs they literally formed a pack and started wandering around. It was entertaining though to watch there owners get up and scramble when the pack started to drift off of the grounds and head towards the road. I love dogs and miss mine dearly, but they're not people. They lick their balls and eat their own shit (and other's shit) no matter how you dress them up or whatever human name you give them. They don't need to go everywhere you do unless they can fit in your purse or man-purse. Are there exceptions to the rule? Yes, there always are, but I also remember when the exception to the rule was poor behavior. Its ok for kids to be kids, but there's a time and place.
I agree with this. My wife often says how she was scared of Adults growing up, because they would correct her if she was doing something wrong even if though weren't her parents. If you correct someone else's kids these days it's and issue.
If my kids are acting up or stealing your fries (if jersey was allowed to sell them at breweries) please correct them... And then I'll buy you a beer 🙂

JPark

I never bring mine... 🥸

I have always said they seem to encourage families to come, at least most of the ones I go to. I get it if it's too small for the crowd, but if it was that small, I wouldn't go either.

Conclave, Readington, Sunken. locally.
Hill Farmstead, kids may have out numbered parents...
It's never too early to get your kids into quality beer ;)

The Kalmyk

While I plan for a mostly Dry January, thought I would put this here for discussion. It has gotten out of hand with strollers and dogs at my local brewery. It was really a problem at the smaller, original location, but now that they've opened up the 2nd larger location, not as bad...

Thoughts?

I recall at Screamin Hill years ago, a guy must’ve been on dad duty and showed up late with an infant in one of those carrying car seats.

My man needed that Saturday night taste in his system... using all measures... sad

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Cape May has been using Yards in Philly for a few years to increase capacity. This will bring it back to the other side of the river. It also puts them not far from Tonewood. I was a huge Cape May fan, but right now Tonewood > Cape May.

In the last 5 years (maybe more) i've only purchased special release beer from flying fish.

I like that Tonewood, while distributing, isn't mass producing at the FF level. I'll grab some when I see it in Wegmans.

BPaze

Cape May Brewing announces it is acquiring the assets of Flyin' Fish Brewing.

Wasn't Cape May purchased at some point last year by a larger brewery as well? I remember hearing rumblings of this, but don't drink it enough to really follow closely.

JDurk

In the last 5 years (maybe more) i've only purchased special release beer from flying fish.

I like that Tonewood, while distributing, isn't mass producing at the FF level. I'll grab some when I see it in Wegmans.
Flyin' Fish has (had?) a self-imposed rule for no distribution outside of 100mi radius or diameter from their facility. They've also rebranded their logo and marketing recently.

Also rebranding/logo changes for Tonewood and Spellbound. Tonewood has upped their production levels with 2 locations brewing now.

Top Bottom