Bottom of feet going numb with pain…

Okay so I swapped back to the shimano road shoes, which seemed to have a bigger toe box than the MTB shoes. I put these inserts in the shoes and also raised the saddle a bit. It definitely helped with the toes. Feet felt the best in a long time. I still need to make more adjustments to the cockpit as my wrists were taking a beating.

Okay so I swapped back to the shimano road shoes, which seemed to have a bigger toe box than the MTB shoes. I put these inserts in the shoes and also raised the saddle a bit. It definitely helped with the toes. Feet felt the best in a long time. I still need to make more adjustments to the cockpit as my wrists were taking a beating.
I found inexpensive Shimano MTB shoes to have wide-ish toe boxes and liked them. So I spent $$ on some fancy Shimano shoes only to find out their high end shoes are narrower in the toe box. :mad:

Even "wide" toe-boxes on most bike shoes are narrow by barefoot style shoe standards which is frustrating.

Merrill used to make a minimalist hiking shoe that had a low but wide toe box. I loved them. Sadly, I only have aging low- and hi-top pairs left. I'm going to check out some Addidas/Five-Ten shoes next - no idea what their toe box is like, or if they even offer size 14.

Merrill used to make a minimalist hiking shoe that had a low but wide toe box. I loved them. Sadly, I only have aging low- and hi-top pairs left. I'm going to check out some Addidas/Five-Ten shoes next - no idea what their toe box is like, or if they even offer size 14.
Funny you say that. I'm returning my minimal-drop Merrill Bare Access XTR shoes I bought to REI tonight that I got for hiking/trail running. Wide toe box, but way too much arch support where it's painful.

I'll probably get another pair of Merrill Trail Gloves even though they're more minimalist than I'd like for technical terrain, mostly in the tread. Altra shoes are great for wide toe boxes but holy crap on wet rocks it's like walking on ice. Even the Altras I find to be too cushioned but many people love that.

Is it a fairly stiff sole shoe? I had some pain in some cheaper Shimano shoes and with the cleat too far forward. Moving the cleat further back and stiffer shoes fixed my foot pains.

Funny you say that. I'm returning my minimal-drop Merrill Bare Access XTR shoes I bought to REI tonight that I got for hiking/trail running. Wide toe box, but way too much arch support where it's painful.

I'll probably get another pair of Merrill Trail Gloves even though they're more minimalist than I'd like for technical terrain, mostly in the tread. Altra shoes are great for wide toe boxes but holy crap on wet rocks it's like walking on ice. Even the Altras I find to be too cushioned but many people love that.
Did you ever ride with the Bare Access XTR? How was the pedal traction?

Also, Trail glove has a rock plate, but the Bare Access doesn't. Do you feel it?

If you’re looking for a killer hiking shoe with a nice wide toe box, I highly recommend the Keen Targhee III or Ridge Flex.

Did you ever ride with the Bare Access XTR? How was the pedal traction?

Also, Trail glove has a rock plate, but the Bare Access doesn't. Do you feel it?

Never road with the XTR, just hiked. I doubt it would be great as there's a lot of tread in complex shapes. Great for hiking, not great for pedals.

I have older trail gloves, not sure if they have rock plates and I doubt they do. I'm also thinking their "rock plate" is just a layer of harder rubber, unlike the Altra where it's a plastic plate you install. I run in an older pair of Merrell Road Gloves on the road pretty often and when I hit pieces of gravel on asphalt it hurts, but whatever.

I may check out the trail gloves tonight, if so I'll let you know if I notice the rock plate.

I finally ditched my go-to NB running shoes. Unlike previous versions, they now all seem too soft and standing all day leads to foot/leg discomfort. After a LOT of searching, test fits, and returns, I did find an 80’s style court shoe with a dense, stiff sole. Been wearing them every day and all foot leg issues are resolving.

Totally unbranded, except for the chain links, but they are a Reebok Bike shoe! Low heel-toe drop, decently wide toe box, and good pedal grip too.

76ED4917-8398-4B52-ADF8-3DED7BB67D5B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom