Bottom of feet going numb with pain…

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I’ve had problems with the pads of my feet going numb (just below the toes) . It happens more in the winter but lately I’ve been having this problem on every ride lasting more than an hour, especially on road rides.

I’ve tried moving the cleats forward and backwards. I’ve tried gel inserts. I’ve switched to a more platform style clipless pedal … sometimes I get relief but it’s still an issue.

Anyone have ideas for a solution?

I’ve had problems with the pads of my feet going numb (just below the toes) . It happens more in the winter but lately I’ve been having this problem on every ride lasting more than an hour, especially on road rides.

I’ve tried moving the cleats forward and backwards. I’ve tried gel inserts. I’ve switched to a more platform style clipless pedal … sometimes I get relief but it’s still an issue.

Anyone have ideas for a solution?
Have you tried insoles like super feet? Any issue I have had with feet were resolved with these. The black and hockey ones are made for low volume shoes. They make a big difference on the road bike.

Last edited:
@jdog does shims if your feet have any pronation (?) or if your legs are different lengths.
Might be something there.

There is a trick for spreading out the point load also. Can't find it - something under the insole??

do you do flats on the DH bike? same issue?

Last edited:
You got high arches, by chance?

Either way, get a pair of insoles with a metatarsal pad. Real ones, not foam bumps. They feel weird at first, but they do the job well if you are getting a pinched nerve.

If you need more correction than that, a podiatrist can write a script for real ones.

What pedal-cleat system are you using on the road bike ? Foot pain is usually more noticeable on a road bike because the MTB bike requires us to be in a less static position for long periods of time. I’d follow the recommendations that have been already offered. High quality inserts and clear shims.

@jdog does shims if your feet have any pronation (?) and if your legs are different lengths.
Might be something there.

There is a trick for spreading out the point load also. Can't find it - something under the insole??

do you do flats on the DH bike? same issue?
I ride flats and don’t usually have issues when DHing. It’s more prevalent when I’m seated, clipped in and on the pedals for a long duration. Road rides are torture. 😟

You got high arches, by chance?

Either way, get a pair of insoles with a metatarsal pad. Real ones, not foam bumps. They feel weird at first, but they do the job well if you are getting a pinched nerve.

If you need more correction than that, a podiatrist can write a script for real ones.
Yes I do. Thanks for the info. Will look into that.

What pedal-cleat system are you using on the road bike ? Foot pain is usually more noticeable on a road bike because the MTB bike requires us to be in a less static position for long periods of time. I’d follow the recommendations that have been already offered. High quality inserts and clear shims.
I actually swapped out my road shoes and cleats for XT platform SPD and use my MTB shoes. This helped a little but still having issues on the long rides.

Yes I do. Thanks for the info. Will look into that.

I use Viva Pedag insoles in my daily kicks/cycling shoes. You may need to size your shoes up--since they have a plastic heel--if you are already on the border of tight fit.

Roomier toe boxes help, too.

Bike fit. Feet issues are seldom issues with your feet.
That’s definitely an issue but I’ve been fitted correctly. Moving the seat forward and back, changing handlebar position- none of it has helped.

I’m going to give the metatarsal supporting insoles a try.

I had some struggles w/ numb feet on road rides. A combo of things stopped it. Cycling shoes seem to be cut a little narrow so I started using wide shoes, I really like Sidi Mega width and Specialized wides. I dremel the slots so my cleats can mount further back an additional centimeter or so, this makes a huge difference for me, feels so much more comfortable. I never fasten my straps tight- I like a little bit of slop between foot and shoe. On long rides I'm really careful not to pull my socks on tight or else I get numb toes.

Cycling shoes seem to be cut a little narrow so I started using wide shoes,
I never fasten my straps tight
This and this^

when I got my first clip less pedals, I had awful pain. Went to a sports podiatrist “you have wide feet ya dummy”
Wide width shoes sorted that pretty well, and also don’t cinch straps down too tight.

That’s definitely an issue but I’ve been fitted correctly. Moving the seat forward and back, changing handlebar position- none of it has helped.

I’m going to give the metatarsal supporting insoles a try.

Well, then you have lots of experimenting to do. Took me 3 pedal systems and a dozen pair of shoes 🤣🤣🤣

Too add to what others have said about arches, I have high arches and have had foot issues in the past. I rode bonts for a few years and they have zero instep support. Without realizing it I was curling my toes to compensate for the lack of support. Since adding arch support I haven’t had the same issues. You want your foot to be fully supported so there is no foot movement when you’re pedaling.
I also got treadlab inserts for my work shoes and they helped a lot.

How tight are the muscles in your feet/hamstrings/ calves? Do you stretch regularly? Reason I ask is I have had similar sounding symptoms and it all stemmed from a very inflexible body.

Funny enough I’ve been stretching more lately due to a bulging disc issue. That’s a whole other thread. :(

Back
Top Bottom