Book of Paul H

^ No problem. I try to ride at HM every weekend so if you need more picture references, make your order and I will try by best to supply. :)

We parked at the circle in Franklin Lakes last night for the first time and it was fine. It's a pretty tough climb up yellow from there without much of a warmup, but there is less traffic to deal with compared to the red trail parking lot at WPU.

I am starting to see people walking their dogs and jogging on Sunday mornings usually on the red trail by the WP parking lot.
Saturdays, I usually see no one and this is probably because I usually ride around 7AM.

Because of the rain this Sat, HM was pretty swampy and slippery. So I decided to do some exploring.
From my usual starting point, just went straight up yellow and end up on the orange which meets up with Scioto Dr to find this....

06061506171.jpg

Rode around Franklin Lake and caught up with the red trail on Reservoir Dr

06061506551.jpg

0606150656a1.jpg

06061506561.jpg

Down the red, took a pic of this...

06061507041.jpg

Went on the white trail and ended up coming out on I think it was Sanderling Rd???

Headed out to HM on Sunday again as I couldn't get my fix on Sat.
Did my usual route but still.... couldn't get enough and wanted to hit the white back up north but totally missed the intersection.
Instead, did a bit of road riding around the neighborhood and went home.
Next weekend I am going to try riding the white a bit.

Last edited:
Rode Sat and Sun.
Saw the damndest thing... someone was camping in HM. I thought this wasn't allowed.
Not that it bothered me much but the annoying part was, the dude parked his Jeep right at start of a fun down hill. :mad:

Anyways, tried white trail and it wasn't too much fun. There was this one downhill and way too much loose rocks... pretty noisy going down. It also looked like people do not use this trail all that much.
Did stumble upon a hidden single trail that connects the white to the red.... scouted it out on Sat and rode it on Sun. Oh boy... single trails adds another dimension to MTBing.
The narrowness of the trail added another level of difficulties trying to stay within lines of the path when going over rock gardens and navigating the tight turns.

Once I get to the WP parking lot, I usually take a breather. This Sun, there was a couple with 3 dogs. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs but they left one dog, a boxer, unattended to roam around free as it pleased while its owners were chilling inside their car. This dog actually charged at me. Needless to say, I had to cut my break short and headed home.

Lastly... my front brakes are making noises. Looks like the pads needs to be changed. I ordered my pads from Amazon last Thursday I think.... I hope they make in time before the weekend.

You should check out some other places, or at least get a grasp on all the singletrack at high mountain. I started mtb'ing there at first and riding the colored trails is awful and not that much fun. When you actually ride real trail you will have a lot more fun. Try Lewis Morris or Jungle Habitat, get a rack if you dont have one.

You should check out some other places, or at least get a grasp on all the singletrack at high mountain. I started mtb'ing there at first and riding the colored trails is awful and not that much fun. When you actually ride real trail you will have a lot more fun. Try Lewis Morris or Jungle Habitat, get a rack if you dont have one.

I definitely will in the near future and yes, I do have a rack. Installed a hitch on my car not too long ago just for this purpose. :)
For now, I like the fact that I can just get on my bike from my home to the trails without having to drive. Plus, too big of a noob at this point and I am more comfortable to ride where there are no one around that I may annoy with my slowness. At HM, I can stop anywhere and take a breather... and really take my time whenever it is necessary without bothering anyone else. Lastly, believe it or not, I kinda enjoy hiking up with my bike and I still have tons of fun on the red trail at HM. But at the end of the day, I guess I am wanting to "graduate" from HM so that I can keep up with the pack at other parks and do some groups rides with some fine members of MTBNJ.... of course if they will allow this noob to join them.

Just so that I can live vicariously thru you for now, since you know HM, what didn't you like about HM and what makes other parks better?
I am really curious as I have never really been to other parks at this point. I did a little off-roading at Saddle River but didn't enjoy it as much. For the lack of better words, it wasn't as intense? as HM but then again, I don't believe Saddle River to be a real MTB park?

If you are riding color trails at HM it is some of the most difficult riding out there. The trails are not maintained for MTB. There are steep climbs, when MTB trails have switchbacks. There are too many big rocks on climbs that make it impossible in parts of yellow. Even difficult MTB trails are more "rideable" in my opinion and more fun. Everyone who rides mountain is cool and if you see someone riding faster behind you, just move over and let them pass, no one will be mad. I would really drive and explore Lewis Morris if I were you. It is really cool to ride to a trail, but I started riding when I was a student at WPU and I got the wrong idea of mtb cuz I only rode at HM. It's more fun at other places, unless you are on the singletrack at HM which is unmarked.

My original goal was to "graduate" from HM and then bike it from my home to either Ramapo or Ringwood. I don't have the endurance yet to ride my bike out to Ramapo/Ringwood from Wayne and then ride the trails and get back home. I might have to grab my bluetooth speakers with GnR blaring and drive out to THE JUNGLE sometimes soon.

kidding about the bluetooth speakers. :)

If you are on the marked trails at HM your missing the good stuff. There are at least 10 miles of single track there, but it is unmarked. There is ride able single track to the summit from the red trail on the franklin lakes end, also from the red at the college to the summit. If your into climbing you'll love it. Lots of single track all over the place, get GPS app and explore, there is so much more.

Went to Ringwood today. Started from ryerson to red to blue to shepherd lake. I found it to be pretty similar to the hidden trail at HM. Narrow single trails with lots of climbs. Based on what I saw today, I am not sure if RW is worth the 30min drive considering HM is practically in my backyard.

Went to Ringwood today. Started from ryerson to red to blue to shepherd lake. I found it to be pretty similar to the hidden trail at HM. Narrow single trails with lots of climbs. Based on what I saw today, I am not sure if RW is worth the 30min drive considering HM is practically in my backyard.

If you don't think Ringwood is 'worth the drive' you most certainly missed pretty much EVERYTHING the park has to offer.

If you don't think Ringwood is 'worth the drive' you most certainly missed pretty much EVERYTHING the park has to offer.
Dont take it the wrong way... As i said, it was only based on what i saw today. I am sure ive barely scratch the surface on what RW has to offer.

As a regular rider of both parks, I would say that Ringwood is absolutely worth the drive. It's much larger and has some really incredible trails. It's awesome that you have High Mountain in your backyard (I'm very jealous), but you should definitely check out other places as well. I would be riding HM during the week and venturing out to other parks on the weekend if I was as close as you. I'm not sure which trail at HM you are referring to as the hidden trail, as all of the good stuff there is unmarked. But, if you have only ridden one unmarked trail at HM, let me know when to meet you there so I can show you the rest. It sounds like you are missing out currently.

As a regular rider of both parks, I would say that Ringwood is absolutely worth the drive. It's much larger and has some really incredible trails. It's awesome that you have High Mountain in your backyard (I'm very jealous), but you should definitely check out other places as well. I would be riding HM during the week and venturing out to other parks on the weekend if I was as close as you. I'm not sure which trail at HM you are referring to as the hidden trail, as all of the good stuff there is unmarked. But, if you have only ridden one unmarked trail at HM, let me know when to meet you there so I can show you the rest. It sounds like you are missing out currently.
Yes... unmarked trails. I stumbled upon 2 unmarked trails during my time at HM. One was off yellow trail up north which I won't be able to find now as it was quite a bit ago. I just remember I ended up on red. The other one which I can locate is the one that connects the red to the white trail. I think it was about a mile or 2 long. I don't think it would be difficult to find some of those unmarked trails as long as some time is invested because I still get confused on many as they tend happen more naturally than the marked ones in some cases.

I would love to just see how a true MTBer rides in HM and it is a very generous offer. However, I would like to mention that I am still working on my overall fitness and I would hate to frustrate you and slow you down and even possibly annoy you. After all, I am sure you would want to enjoy your ride. Having said that, if you are still willing to help out this noob, I would be more than appreciative.... I'd be grateful. :)

Because I work in the city and get home pretty late, I tend to stick to the weekends. Let me know if you can do a weekend ride and I will try to fit to your schedule the best I can.

Last edited:
I would like to mention that I am still working on my overall fitness and I would hate to frustrate you and slow you down and even possibly annoy you.

I don't care how slow you are. You won't annoy me.

Let me know if you can do a weekend ride and I will try to fit to your schedule the best I can.

Weekend is fine. I'm not sure if anything is going on yet this weekend with the holiday, but PM me and we can figure it out. My weekends are usually pretty much wide open.

JimN was gracious enough to take this noob out for a ride at HM and shown me the unmarked trails.
Whether JimN knew it or not, wow, I have not been pushed so hard since I started this back in Nov of last year. It was a tremendous experiences and a real eye opener as well because I realized how out of shape I still am. Granted, I am considerably better than when I first started but this experience has shown me I still have a long way to go.

In the beginning, not wanting to slow down the pace, I huffed and puffed to keep up. I even ran when I fell out of the saddle.
Towards the middle to the end, I kinda of insisted that he goes on without me because I was pretty drained.... but JimN nonchalantly and patiently said, no... almost to say....
MGM119-AT-2__99122.1404191664.1280.1280.jpg

lol

Few things I need to do...
1. Need to build up my fitness
2. Need to learn to use the gears more
3. Need to practice on the switchbacks

I want to give myself 6 months and then I am going to call JimN again.... if he will graciously allow me to ride with him again.
Thank you again JimN for showing me the good stuff in HM and showing me so patiently what MTBing is all about!
Hopefully next time we meet, I won't be so bad! :)

Lots of good peeps on here, with plenty of patience.....
I'll throw out a thank you to them also - they know who they are.

Thank you again JimN for showing me the good stuff in HM and showing me so patiently what MTBing is all about!

No problem at all.

Hopefully next time we meet, I won't be so bad! :)

Lol, you weren't nearly as bad as I was expecting based on your posts :p

I want to give myself 6 months and then I am going to call JimN again

You don't have to wait six months. Let me know if you cannot find any of the trails that I showed you, and I'll try and give you directions or meet up with you again to show you. Ride High Mountain 2-3 days a week and you will be kicking my ass next year.

Back
Top Bottom