Book of Paul H

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I don't have a Garmin, just my phone. I normally use Strava. I'll look in the App Store and see if I can find something that I can import the files to for a turn by turn kind of tour lol

Try Maprika. I think it has 2 maps for HM.
I was at HM 2 weeks ago and it was still a bit swampy in some areas. Hopefully things have dried out for you this weekend.

tracer650

The thing with high mountain is that if you go without a tour guide and use maprika to navigate you will only be on the colored trails (double track). The single track is not always that obvious to see but in most cases it follows the old 4wd trails. Stop into wyckoff cycle sometime and I can try and explain it or maybe show you if you night ride at all.

pat_the_cat

I ride at night with guys in Allamuchy so I don't think that's a problem. We don't set a blistering pace but we are riding and having fun. I'll try to stop by Wyckoff Cycle. I'll check the hours on the website.

A-ron

High mountain

I am also interested in seeing singletrack at High Mtn. I live right in the area and have only ridden the color trails. I can ride day or night.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I can probably be there by 4:30pm or later to give you a tour tomorrow or Thursday. There was about an inch of snow and some ice there when Pat and I rode on Sunday, but we still had a good ride. With the rain that came down yesterday, the snow is probably mostly gone, not sure how much ice there is though. Let me know if tomorrow or Thursday afternoon/evening works for you.

A-ron

in for 4:30

Hey,
4 30 is good for me... let me know where to meet you? Parking lot by the main trail entrance for red? I am cycling in from Wayne nearby.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm not going to be able to make it tomorrow, is Friday at 4:30pm ok? Meet at the main lot for the red trail on College Ave at WPU.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have weekend riding plans already, but I should be available Mon, Tue, or Wed at 4:30pm. PM me your cell and I'll text you if my plans for tonight change.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Looks like I'm now free tonight. Let me know if you want to ride. I'll PM you my cell.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
High Mountain is still kicking my arse.
Went north to south hitting the yellow trail from Valley Rd and finished off red trail and ended up in WP parking lot.
I think I finally have the legs for it... except for couple of steep long inclines but my path selection is still very poor. I probably hit every rock in the damn place. lol

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I was riding in HM this past Saturday morning and I was thinking as to why some might not like this place.
For a noob like myself, the rock garden can be difficult and takes a toll on your bike. I dropped my bike only 2 times so far but it has been banged and scrapped around from the rocks and has its battle scars.
But this place has a little bit of everything. After a nice hike, you get rewarded with a nice down hill and the scenery is beautiful. But then again, I have never been to any other park so I really have nothing to compare it to.
I mentioned in another thread where my daughter was scared to get on a bike. At that time I questioned to myself who she takes after and I realized on this ride that she takes after ME! Some of those steep rocky garden down hills were straight out scarey for this noob! :)

Took some pictures with my phone this time...

0509150650a1.jpg

05091506521.jpg

05091507051.jpg

I think this is the spot where Google map points as High Mountain Park Preserve

05091507181.jpg

The typical rock garden you will see at HM.

05091507281.jpg

From another thread, I thought someone asked about the entrance to HM from Franklin Lake side. Well... this is one entrance that connects to the yellow trail.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
When I first started, it was more about the exercise and being in nature. I was just a guy in a mountain with a bike. Nothing more. Now, I finally feel like I having a lot of fun and... well... actually MTBing... obviously at a beginner level but nonetheless. My normal route is running north to south by catching up to the yellow trail from valley rd where I am still hiking quite a bit of it but once I get to the red trail, adrenaline starts pumping and I am in the saddle most of the time. I think my confidence level at this point is higher than my skill level and almost had a crash this weekend when my rear slipped. I was probably going too fast and pick the wrong line. Don't get me wrong, I am still slow as heck and on my brakes a lot of the times but I'm just having tons of fun on the red trail. Anxiously waiting for the day when I can start ride off the berms on a fast corner. I always take my phone and my drivers license with me in case of an accident and someone finds me unconscious. lol

I still get confused at certain trail intersections and because there are quite a bit of unmarked trails at HM, I would probably get lost without my phone.

rick81721

Lothar
I thought about it...and IDK if it is the teen spirit in me but I am not too attracted to this.
But at the same time, enough brains to carry my drivers license.
I really should get one with my blood type on it.

Nice thing about a road ID is you can put alot of info on it - whatever you want. I have "no known allergies" and my health insurance ID number on mine.

Mr.Moto

@C8N - curious as to where you park on the Franklin Lakes side. That area is residential with no real parking.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
@C8N - curious as to where you park on the Franklin Lakes side. That area is residential with no real parking.
Oh...I don't drive to HM. I live in Wayne so I just ride on my bike up north on Valley Rd to the parking lot of Haier. From this point, there is an unmarked entrances that leads up to the yellow trail.

Top Bottom