Book of Paul H

Since my crash at HM a month or so ago... havent ridden the bike on the trails. TBH.. i doubt it will ever see trail duty other than gravel... or possibly 6mr or Allaire. It is pretty fun on gravel and more comfy on the road.

perfect bike for Allaire and Wharton.

I hear... rigid MTB is fun on gravel because where ever you can find that little lip, I try to hit it to get a little bit of air. I can't do that on the Crux.
And it was fun indeed on the Columbia Trail, so far the only ride by Elma (at least on my watch), I just wish I had those Teravail Sparwood tires, the gravel Maxxis didn't do it for me, too skinny. I'm almost finished with the build, got the 3 ded stem (hopefully @stb222 will approve of it, even though it's a little boxy), the right saddle and matchy-matchy grips (I temporarily borrowed the ones off the Mukky, but since I had to geta new set why not in red). I need to put fresh 3M tape on the frame and waiting on some matchy matchy red screws for the fork. I also fixed a big scratch the was right under the crown of the fork, filled it with epoxy, sanded and painted the patch semi-matte black, I dare you to find it (nit really, but it's good enough for me). Picture to follow on the serviceguy's angst thread...

Was bored and did another weigh-in on the bikes.
These are full riding weights with pedals, bottle cage/s, tube and etc. Hightower had some added dirt.

Crux: 22lbs 4oz
Talon: 23lbs 11oz
RDO: 24lbs 11oz
Hightower: 31lbs 9oz

Was bored and did another weigh-in on the bikes.
These are full riding weights with pedals, bottle cage/s, tube and etc. Hightower had some added dirt.

Crux: 22lbs 4oz
Talon: 23lbs 11oz
RDO: 24lbs 11oz
Hightower: 31lbs 9oz
how do you explain the talon being lighter than the RDO? I get the lighter fork, but the RDO is a carbon frame...or is it depleted uranium instead?

331348E1-86C7-4933-9E59-34306F3C7D53.jpeg

good times

Always had an issue with cramping and thought that increasing my cadence would help with this. I have tried to increase my cadence once before but since I didn't have the means to measure cadence, I kinda gave up. Now that I have a Garmin and a cadence sensor, I thought I give it another go.

Starting pt... looks like my cadence was at 60-65rpm avg.

So far, have done 3 rides (excluding indoor rides) where I was keeping an eye out on cadence. Have done about 7 20-30min indoor rides where my avg cadence, per ride, were anywhere from 70 to 82rpm. First 2 outdoor rides, 16miles and 20miles, I averaged 73rpm on both and on the 3rd, 36miles, 77rpm avg. My avg speed, more or less, has not changed altho... I feel slower. I am feeling the burn more in my calves during the ride and my legs feel more tired for the rest of the day after the ride. I guess it makes sense. I felt a tingle of a cramp coming on in my left quad towards the end of the 36 mile ride but went away pretty fast.

Is an avg of 80rpm a reasonable goal?

Always had an issue with cramping and thought that increasing my cadence would help with this. I have tried to increase my cadence once before but since I didn't have the means to measure cadence, I kinda gave up. Now that I have a Garmin and a cadence sensor, I thought I give it another go.

Starting pt... looks like my cadence was at 60-65rpm avg.

So far, have done 3 rides (excluding indoor rides) where I was keeping an eye out on cadence. Have done about 7 20-30min indoor rides where my avg cadence, per ride, were anywhere from 70 to 82rpm. First 2 outdoor rides, 16miles and 20miles, I averaged 73rpm on both and on the 3rd, 36miles, 77rpm avg. My avg speed, more or less, has not changed altho... I feel slower. I am feeling the burn more in my calves during the ride and my legs feel more tired for the rest of the day after the ride. I guess it makes sense. I felt a tingle of a cramp coming on in my left quad towards the end of the 36 mile ride but went away pretty fast.

Is an avg of 80rpm a reasonable goal?

Absolutely. The roadies will harp on the 90+ number but not everyone is built to run those numbers.

I’m most comfortable on the road in the low 80’s (avg).

I would think nutrition/hydration is more important for not cramping than cadence. Also, just ride your bicycle more.
I somewhat agree... the reason why I say this is that there were rides where I was overdosing on Clif Blocks with salt and gatorades and cramps hit pretty hard. As you said, its prolly more conditioning but I am trying to cut corners where I can.

I think Jim is correct. Hydration/nutrition would be more of an Issue.
maybe you’re going to hard for your fitness level? I have no clue, just bored and reading these posts.
80 rpm, depending on the terrain, would possibly kill me.

This is the answer. 100% of the time.
There is a train of thought that cramping could be related to genetics as well. There are ppl I know who rides far less than I do who do not have issues with cramps as much as I do.
Too few rides to make a definitive statement but I do feel that my legs recover faster when riding with higher cadence. Plus... I have read that a higher cadence rides will burn fat faster... which I need lol

There is a train of thought that cramping could related to genetics as well. There are ppl I know who rides far less than I do who do not have issues with cramps as much as I do.
Too few rides to make a definitive statement but I do feel that my legs recover faster when riding with higher cadence. Plus... I have read that a higher cadence rides will burn fat faster... which I need lol

Well I will grant that some people won't even get cramps. That's not me nor you.

But I'd say that the best way to ride for 3 hours with your HR at 165 in 90 degree heat is to work up to that and do it routinely. As an example.

Back
Top Bottom