Blauvelt Conditions

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Trails are complete shit. Choppy snow throughout. Warm temps on the way. Will be unridable for the next week or two.

Som3guy

Rode it last Friday, 3/12, and I agree with a.s., it's mostly quite rideable. Wet only around streams and at the lowest points
IMG_2479.jpeg

scott62

Back there today, the raspberry vines will give you a shredding this time of year. I look like I got tangled up in barbed wire .

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Conditions have been great with hardly any wet or muddy spots. I've been going in and trimming back overgrowth. I'd like to make a coordinated effort this Fall to address wet sections with some rock armouring. Give a shout out if you're interested in helping.

_Antonio

NYMC

Conditions have been great with hardly any wet or muddy spots. I've been going in and trimming back overgrowth. I'd like to make a coordinated effort this Fall to address wet sections with some rock armouring. Give a shout out if you're interested in helping.

_Antonio
Thanks for the trimming! No more bloody arms. I'm down to help with any trail work up there.

DirtyDave

_Antonio
Shout given.

Oey12

Unfortunately, the soil is more like clay in Rockland county. The water takes a very long time to dry. After these rains it’s going to take about a week before those trails are rideable.

scott62

I have to disagree, that black dirt on the trail is called duff, a proper trail system removes that so the trail will not grow over. There should not be organic matter on the trail path. The trail should be mineral matter, that makes it much more rain/ water resistant .

Oey12

We are going to have to agree to disagree than…

I live in the county and I have dug many holes on my property for various projects. The water tables are very high and the soil does not drain water well. I am not a soil expert however the soil in and around the county does not absorb well.

It’s a very well done trail system but the truth is it needs more time to dry than many of the other systems in the area (Graham, Boy Scout Camp, even Sterling). In order to have continued use of Blauvelt trails I would highly recommend airing on the side of precaution in order to not damage the trails. I do 70% of my riding there because time is not something I have a lot of.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I have to disagree, that black dirt on the trail is called duff, a proper trail system removes that so the trail will not grow over. There should not be organic matter on the trail path. The trail should be mineral matter, that makes it much more rain/ water resistant .
Not sure which trails you are riding but the designated MTB stuff was properly built. There are a lot of side trails and local paths that are not well built so I can understand what you mean.

Top Bottom