Biscotti Madness

Congrats...a year ago you probably would have been thrilled to get 2nd.

Was Leo using gears? This would have been a big advantage on the flats where you said you were spinning out.:popcorn:

Congrats...a year ago you probably would have been thrilled to get 2nd.

Was Leo using gears? This would have been a big advantage on the flats where you said you were spinning out.:popcorn:

Yes, he had gears. But he lost me I'm the ST with the carnage of riders. I do think gears may have been better if I had as much confidence in the geared bike.

If you tried and failed, you failed, however if it doesn't kill you, it can only make you stronger.:getsome:

Oh yeah, Go Norm!

Well I'm not going to stand there and let the football hit me on the bridge of the nose.

I must be dying or something, even the "murder-fast" first lap at KVSP I was only at 171. Maybe I should start paying at least some attention to my HR numbers:hmmm:

-Jim.

You know that you can't compare HR numbers. I think Freddie's are even higher than mine. Bill said his were normally in the 175 realm for a race. I'm sure the range is all over. I'm pretty sure overall time is the only real number that matters. Or if you listen to your coworker, it's gear ratio :rolleyes:

Incidentally, here's the weekend result. I don't know if Leo reads, but Bill (in orange) is on the board:

6340_1178053967495_1112505435_568344_245975_n.jpg

Last edited:
You know that you can't compare HR numbers. I think Freddie's are even higher than mine. Bill said his were normally in the 175 realm for a race. I'm sure the range is all over. I'm pretty sure overall time is the only real number that matters. Or if you listen to your coworker, it's gear ratio :rolleyes:

Absolutely...this is why testing vs. using some generic equation for determining HR zones is so important (if you're gonna' pay attention to that stuff).

When I worked for a cardio-respiratory diagnostics company in the early 90's I spent *a lot* of time on a cycle ergometer wired up w/a 12-lead ECG (I was the employee they called upon when customer's were visiting in the demo room). I could never get my heart rate above 183. Never. Wearing my old Vetta HR monitor, I never saw my HR above 181 sprinting during races. Even today, I haven't seen my HR over 180...and I'm fat and outta' shape.

When I was young and in shape, and especially now, if I tried to maintain a 175-ish HR for any length of time I would blow myself up. In fact, 10 bpm less than that was I usually saw sustained during a race... My heart stroke volume was 20-25% greater than "normal"...so that is why I think this is...

Or if you listen to your coworker, it's gear ratio :rolleyes:

I've stopped listening to my co-worker a LONG time ago, he's been under the impression he can run a 2-1 ratio because Roger Foco can. He seems to forget there may be a SLIGHT fitness difference in there somewhere:rolleyes:

-Jim.

Absolutely...this is why testing vs. using some generic equation for determining HR zones is so important (if you're gonna' pay attention to that stuff).

When I worked for a cardio-respiratory diagnostics company in the early 90's I spent *a lot* of time on a cycle ergometer wired up w/a 12-lead ECG (I was the employee they called upon when customer's were visiting in the demo room). I could never get my heart rate above 183. Never. Wearing my old Vetta HR monitor, I never saw my HR above 181 sprinting during races. Even today, I haven't seen my HR over 180...and I'm fat and outta' shape.

When I was young and in shape, and especially now, if I tried to maintain a 175-ish HR for any length of time I would blow myself up. In fact, 10 bpm less than that was I usually saw sustained during a race... My heart stroke volume was 20-25% greater than "normal"...so that is why I think this is...

I think I would drop dead if I used those formulas. I belive the formula for my max comes out to 188. On my HR monitor I have never seen it get above 176. And I have actually only seen it that high twice, once on my bike, once on my motocross bike. Normally for me, 172 and my rev limiter switches on. I dont know if I am correct or not, but I have been using the number of about 172 as my max. Thats as high as it ever gets on my monitor 99% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom