Biggest loser

xmonger

No but two people I know who were Keto for over a year both saw their cholesterol shoot up. They had to stop.
That's interesting. Most people get better blood work with the significant fat loss associated with keto. If anyone is interested, Dr. Eric Berg and Mark Sisson are good people to research on doing healthy keto or low carb in general.

Over the Bars

That's interesting. Most people get better blood work with the significant fat loss associated with keto. If anyone is interested, Dr. Eric Berg and Mark Sisson are good people to research on doing healthy keto or low carb in general.
All diets including keto come down to the same thing calories in vs calories out. I would suggest treating this as a lifestyle change and not a diet and eat in a way that you can sustain for the rest of your life. For most people keto is probably a short term solution but it is very popular right now and certainly can work. My diet is like the anti keto diet 50 percent carbs 30 percent protein 20 percent fats.

xmonger

All diets including keto come down to the same thing calories in vs calories out. I would suggest treating this as a lifestyle change and not a diet and eat in a way that you can sustain for the rest of your life. For most people keto is probably a short term solution but it is very popular right now and certainly can work. My diet is like the anti keto diet 50 percent carbs 30 percent protein 20 percent fats.

Yep, there are definitely various good and different approaches to sustainable weight loss. Keto might not be right for everyone as a.s. noted above. I would say from my experience and research it's demonstrably one of the best ways to eat for older 40+, very overweight, insulin resistant (prediabetic or diabetic) people. It's not always just calories in/out for them as there is a hormonal component to achieving weight loss for that group. Carbs stimulate insulin (fat storage) much more than protein while fat has a little to no insulin response with the benefit of satiety.

The essence of keto is all natural foods eliminating processed foods, seed oils, fruits and most carbs. Calorie in/out definitely worked for me when I was younger but I always gained the weight back over time. I personally find keto more sustainable and have been on it for a year. I eat a lot of leafy green salads, vegetables, beef, lamb, chicken, sardines, eggs, cheeses, with olive oil and Irish butter. I combine it with intermittent fasting and have found it to be second nature once I settled into it after a few weeks. I'll occasionally have some carbs but don't crave them anymore.

If anyone fits the group I mentioned and is having difficulty losing weight, I'd highly recommend they look into it.

Good luck to everyone. All your weight loss stories are very inspirational to others looking to get into better shape.

Keep up the good work.

Over the Bars

Yep, there are definitely various good and different approaches to sustainable weight loss. Keto might not be right for everyone as a.s. noted above. I would say from my experience and research it's demonstrably one of the best ways to eat for older 40+, very overweight, insulin resistant (prediabetic or diabetic) people. It's not always just calories in/out for them as there is a hormonal component to achieving weight loss for that group. Carbs stimulate insulin (fat storage) much more than protein while fat has a little to no insulin response with the benefit of satiety.

The essence of keto is all natural foods eliminating processed foods, seed oils, fruits and most carbs. Calorie in/out definitely worked for me when I was younger but I always gained the weight back over time. I personally find keto more sustainable and have been on it for a year. I eat a lot of leafy green salads, vegetables, beef, lamb, chicken, sardines, eggs, cheeses, with olive oil and Irish butter. I combine it with intermittent fasting and have found it to be second nature once I settled into it after a few weeks. I'll occasionally have some carbs but don't crave them anymore.

If anyone fits the group I mentioned and is having difficulty losing weight, I'd highly recommend they look into it.

Good luck to everyone. All your weight loss stories are very inspirational to others looking to get into better shape.

Keep up the good work.
Sounds like you found what works for you šŸ‘ keep it up

Over the Bars

Started MAPS anabolic lifting program today instead of my push pull leg workout that I peiced together. It's a full body 3 times a week routine and the first phase is heavy weight under 6 reps for almost everything. Liking it so far. Going to do cardio on the off days

Robin

Down 1 lb this week. Not to shabby considering I was out at Ray's last weekend - while I did pack meals, I *may* have indulged a bit - they had GF brownies and rice crispy treats at the Ray's cafe. I regretted eating them after from the sugar rush (and of course I didn't learn from the first day). This week I got out twice on my MTB! But either allergies have kicked in or mild cold - congested.

xmonger

Some one just posted weights for stupid cheap... somone jump on it
No doubt. That's a great deal. It would have fetched a king's ransom when the gyms were closed.

Cassinonorth

Killer rebound week after last weekend's SB party went off the rails.

Screenshot_20230218-071928.png

Goal Weight End of February: 188 lbs

Current Weight: 189.2 lbs (-10.8 lbs YTD)

Screenshot_20230218-072141.png

5.5 hours on the bike, 3 hours in the gym. Diet was basically perfect calorie wise, averaged 115g protein which is not bad, not great. I'd love to get that closer to 150g. Did a FTP test for the first time in probably 4 years yesterday, 244 which honestly isn't bad. 2.9 w/kG, hopefully can get that closer to 3.5 by April.

Over the Bars

1 week down been doing great on the calorie intake and increased my walking along with getting a ride and a trail run in. Finally saw a drop this morning after the Initial drop the first two days. I can't remember the last time the scale actually stayed the same for multiple days In a row and didnt bounce up and down. Must still be doing some recomp because I've been seeing changes in the way I look all week. Made sure to take measurements and pictures form all angles for when I inevitability start to get frustrated with the scale not moving. Good luck to everyone this week keep the loses rolling.

2/12 166.6
2/19 163
Down 3.6 mostly water

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
2023 - Week 7
'23 Starting Weight: 201.3
Current Weight: 187.8
Week: -0.7
YTD: -13.5

Super bowl roller coaster ride!
Ate well last Sunday after weighing-in. No worries, right back at it this week with a couple of rides,
and a couple of TM sessions in RV and 6MR. Hiking into RV with the pack is def a workout.
Legs are feeling it.

Felt good on the trainer too - although the week's schedule cut into evening workouts.
Couple of dinners out, and long work days (which i bring on myself from late starts)

Sleep hasn't been great - might be the alcohol. Going out included having wine with dinner.
And one of those spring days included a beer on the deck - so back to zero this week as a test.

At some point i'll need to do an FTP test and fire up a training plan.
Two weeks until vacation.
Where I'll be putting on some running miles.
Oh boy.

IMG_3562.PNG

JDurk

2023 - Week 7
'23 Starting Weight: 201.3
Current Weight: 187.8
Week: -0.7
YTD: -13.5

Super bowl roller coaster ride!
Ate well last Sunday after weighing-in. No worries, right back at it this week with a couple of rides,
and a couple of TM sessions in RV and 6MR. Hiking into RV with the pack is def a workout.
Legs are feeling it.

Felt good on the trainer too - although the week's schedule cut into evening workouts.
Couple of dinners out, and long work days (which i bring on myself from late starts)

Sleep hasn't been great - might be the alcohol. Going out included having wine with dinner.
And one of those spring days included a beer on the deck - so back to zero this week as a test.

At some point i'll need to do an FTP test. Two weeks until vacation. Then I'll be putting on some running miles.
Oh boy.

View attachment 207658
Hold my beer. Sleep is where I notice alcohol and/or sugar intake the most.

Patrick

Staff member
Hold my beer. Sleep is where I notice alcohol and/or sugar intake the most.

I can see it with the chart of resting HR. 5 bpm higher than usual if I have any alc.
This getting old thing sucks.

Forgot I double whammied myself Friday night. We went to Ironbound Hard Cider for dinner.
They serve a 16oz, 8% cider that is awesome - but it is delivering a dose of alc and sugar....
Paid for that one yesterday morning after having two.

JDurk

E2M program R7W7D2

Overdue update as I was travelling for work and pleasure from 2/3 - 2/12.
Diet
Did well with healthy choices for the time in San Antonio. Stuck to a decent eating window. Did cheat a bit in the evening with choices at the frequent Tex-Mex eating locations, making much healthier choices than the others I was dining with. Limited the adult beverages to beer or bourbon over margaritas. Once in Colorado, opened the eating window earlier with plans to hit the slopes early and all day, having breakfast where we stayed, eating 1 meal at the mountain, then dinner out. At the Microtel lodging, made the best of the options available. At the AirBnB, I made a breakfast egg frittata for all of us that lasted our 2 day stay. On the mountain, stayed away from the pizza, burgers and FF for a salad with chicken, but always included a large cookie. Out to dinner, let things go a little, but again healthier choices than the others I was dining with. Avoided nervous eating and drinking at the pub stop to watch the Super Bowl. Great game, not happy with the outcome.

Exercise
Got 3 good days of circuits, cardio and extra credit workouts in the hotel gym in San Antonio. Actually the first time I've been in a gym since I don't know when. At least before C19 shut everything down, cancelled my gym membership last year. Was on my feet all day during the convention and walked everywhere. Felt good for all 4 full days on the slopes in CO. No issues with altitude or fatigue to note. Slept a few hours on the red-eye flight Monday morning, called out of work to unpack/unwind, managed to get back into the routine with a run, circuit and extra credit. Will be taking advantage of the weather this week to walk at lunch.

Weight
1/2/22 Starting weight = 235.4
2/14/23 current weight =181
Diff: weekly up .6 total lost = 54.4
Happy with myself to not go off the rails like I did during the holiday trip to FL. Proves that staying active and mostly healthy food choices, cheating in moderation, will prevent any significant weight gain. Weekly, tale of the tape measurements proved that as well.

While I was away, wife was home and enjoyed some desserts, scaring herself straight with a 4lb increase. Got back to focusing on what to eat, with exercise and has already dropped back to where she was.
E2M program R7W8D1

Final week of Round 7. Up early on President's Day, even thought I'm off for the holiday, to stay in the routine. This week will be my 1yr anniversary of completing the 1st, 8wk round.
Diet
Stayed mostly on plan last week. Unfortunately, I did exceed my self imposed limit of Reese's Peanut Butter Hearts that were left around the office, all damn week. Added some carbs to early meals a few days before the planned ride on Sunday. No beer until the treat meal on Saturday night at our local favorite seafood restaurant, where I had crab dip app and 8oz filet with asparagus and garlic mash. After yesterday's ride, I was hungry all afternoon and snacked a bit more. Then walked to Tonewood to have a beer or 3.

Exercise
Did well all week with cardio, circuits and extra credit in the garage pain cave. With the warmer weather, was able to do a few lunch walks as well. Rode at Batsto yesterday with some of the team dudes. They were all on their geared bikes, me on the rigid SS. At some point on the 2nd half of the ride, I became the rabbit when I went to the front and pushed the pace. Felt good and got a few comments from the guys that they couldn't catch me.

Weight
1/2/22 Starting weight = 235.4
2/20/23 current weight =182.4
Diff: weekly up 1.4, total lost = 53
Besides the chocolate over load, adding carbs to early meal a few days helped with energy during the ride. But I probably could have done without. And the beer Sat and Sun afternoon.

Nothing to update for my wife, still maintaining.

Last edited:

Robin

Wrapping up the 2nd round (8 weeks) of E2M for me...when I started this round, my intention was to continue to solidify better habits and if the weight came off, hurray.

I've been good about my IF windows with the exception of a few days of traveling/not home. For the most part, I've stuck to only one "treat meal" a week - except when at Ray's. That has also been great financially! I'm still eating my protein, fat, and carbs - and snacking more on nuts/fruit instead of "bars".

Some things I'm noticing - while my endurance/stamina on the bike isn't where it used to be, I'm feeling stronger on punchy pops and climbs. I also felt good pumping/jumping at Ray's. I'm lifting heavier and yesterday someone mentioned that I'm looking strong. Win win. And my hot flashes seem to have disappeared...

Hubby asked if I'm going to do another round. I told him that I like the structure and accountability. I will continue with my routine again.

Start 10/31 - 132.6 lbs
Today - 116.4 lbs
lbs lost - 16.2 lbs
Total inches - 28

Last edited:

xc62701

I hope Iā€™m back. Since Christmas Iā€™ve been sick - off and on with some sinus bug. I think Iā€™m coming out of it and hope to get back to eating better and working out more regularly. I need a few days of better eating before I attempt the scale again and then I need to stay focused. Race season will be quickly upon us and itā€™s way easier being lighter. Kudos to those that have made changes and are seeing the results!

Patrick

Staff member
Having another tough week with getting any cardio. Been working on ladders, and in weird positions to get to tight spaces.
Getting home hunched over like the old man I am isn't conducive to hopping on a bike.
Trying to keep the eating in check - so not too much damage. Have a couple days on the bike this weekend,
so hopefully a decent push to close the week strong.

Top Bottom