Biggest loser

JDurk

Yeah i would not ride 100 miles on my MTB on purpose but I got a new gravel bike back in July for my 50th bday so it’s good to go for this event. I just hope the rider will be ! 🤪
I will tell you there is 1 section where you will wish you are on a mtb. Racing Ralphs are fast tires on gravel too.

The Kalmyk

So I have been following along since post #1 but I didn't want to seem like I was some martyr because I have not experienced the bounce back up in weight or loss of fitness over the past xx months/years. Aside from the last 2 weeks being down for the count with COVID, in fact I finished 2021 pretty strong as I achieved a goal at the end of December of riding 100 miles for the Winter solstice (yes on the road sorry).

That being said, as I read along and LOL (literally) at every other post, I know the feeling and have been down the road of many of those here since at one time in my life before I found cycling I was nearly 300 lbs (yes really). Last time at this year my fitness went into the crapper for almost 2 months due to lack of motivation and COVID and other stuff in my life. To fix this I found that I needed a target to motivate me and I convinced 3 of my other friends to ride our first Randonneuring event (125 miles).

To proactively prevent the same funk, we (4 of us) just signed up for this event in April 2022 (assuming COVID doesn't cancel it, or work doesn't prevent me from being ready). This would be my first Gravel/offroad 100 miler and I am already thinking WTF did I do. But it will be a good motivator to maintain and not gain weight, while continuing to build my fitness and overall well being.

In the meantime the last 2 weeks I have been recovering from COVID I lost 3.5lbs since I could not really eat or drink much. Now that I am feeling better I am more focused on cutting out too much of the crappy snacks, drinking more water and trying to fix my crap sleep schedule.

So I hope I can offer some perspective, motivation and a good dose of my usual sarcasm here while everyone gets more fit and less fat!

Good stuff man!! Looking forward to seeing your rides over at the biyf thread when you’re all better.

Which 200km did you do and what year? I was into the rando from 2011-2014ish. Its something i will likely revisit. My toughest day on the saddle was a 300km i did with the PArando group. It was first 300 and the hills were murder. Worst part at the time was the fact that i got caught between two groups. I learned a whole lot about my riding mindset that day.

iman29

I will tell you there is 1 section where you will wish you are on a mtb. Racing Ralphs are fast tires on gravel too.
Thanks for the info. I just put on a set of Gravel Kings I got from @jimvreeland hopefully those will still be in decent shape come April or I will opt for a fresh pair of tires for the event (most likely scenario ).

iman29

Good stuff man!! Looking forward to seeing your rides over at the biyf thread when you’re all better.

Which 200km did you do and what year? I was into the rando from 2011-2014ish. Its something i will likely revisit. My toughest day on the saddle was a 300km i did with the PArando group. It was first 300 and the hills were murder. Worst part at the time was the fact that i got caught between two groups. I learned a whole lot about my riding mindset that day.
We did the Cranbury 200K just last year in April 2021. We decided our first attempt should be a relatively flat course in case we had any navigation or mechanical issues. I also am very familiar with the jersey shore area from 10 years of Bike MS events. I’ve done plenty of endurance rides but that was one of the longest distances I have done. We may try another one during 2022 depends on the timing.

The Kalmyk

We did the Cranbury 200K just last year in April 2021. We decided our first attempt should be a relatively flat course in case we had any navigation or mechanical issues. I also am very familiar with the jersey shore area from 10 years of Bike MS events. I’ve done plenty of endurance rides but that was one of the longest distances I have done. We may try another one during 2022 depends on the timing.
Schweet! I know that route by heart. Maybe look at the ones far south or the Central Jersey 200km. It used to be called the Ron Anderson Special and historically runs in the fall

Johnny Utah

Two week check in.

Down another two pounds, which is my weekly goal. Beyond the Covid scare last week and a ramp up in calories I did not have any cheats.

9.2 hours on the bike last week, plus Pilates and snow shoveling.

Pretty consistent with food, eggs and oats in the am, shakes in between meals, veggies/meat/white rice.

Lots of water, black coffee in the am and a half cup in the afternoon.

No booze
C339D953-4E5D-4DD9-A70F-42C93263FDFE.jpeg
4E81E528-0340-49E4-BE41-669650385386.jpeg
FB2D824D-F0A0-496A-987E-29D5D1B633F4.jpeg
2F47C967-E686-46BB-ABF1-E7D16176B9FD.png

The Kalmyk

Two week check in.

Down another two pounds, which is my weekly goal. Beyond the Covid scare last week and a ramp up in calories I did not have any cheats.

9.2 hours on the bike last week, plus Pilates and snow shoveling.

Pretty consistent with food, eggs and oats in the am, shakes in between meals, veggies/meat/white rice.

Lots of water, black coffee in the am and a half cup in the afternoon.

No boozeView attachment 175804View attachment 175805View attachment 175806View attachment 175807
Now that’s puttin in work🤘🏻🤘🏻

Good shit Johnny

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Starting weight 216 lbs.
Fighting weight 195 lbs (by 4/1)

I weigh myself on Tuesdays so I have an extra day to burn off the crap from the weekend.

Last week: 213 (after breakfast)
Today: 212.6 (before breakfast)

I’m having a peanut for breakfast. One peanut. :confused:

The Kalmyk

Let's hit this shit under 6 hours this year!!

The Cranbury or Central? And what is the current standing record? 5 plus hours at twenty i will certainly need a road bike which i dont own. And i live i reality... i doubt i could hold that pace. No faking Jacks here son. 17-18ish at that distance i know i can hold.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
The Cranbury or Central? And what is the current standing record? 5 plus hours at twenty i will certainly need a road bike which i dont own. And i live i reality... i doubt i could hold that pace. No faking Jacks here son. 17-18ish at that distance i know i can hold.

Cranbury. I set the CR under 6.5 hours solo. One of my goals is a sub6 200k Brevet but that's gonna take some effort and some friends.

I also don't own a road bike right now so that may be a problem 🤣🤣🤣

The Kalmyk

Cranbury. I set the CR under 6.5 hours solo. One of my goals is a sub6 200k Brevet but that's gonna take some effort and some friends.

I also don't own a road bike right now so that may be a problem 🤣🤣🤣

Good shit! That’s a lot of time to shave... 23.07% if you hit 5hours on the dot. The headwind is real on that route at the time of year. No negative splits happening if it fierce. Autobus is definitely favorable.

Besides you know how i roll...Who the fuck rides 27.5😆😆

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Good shit! That’s a lot of time to shave... 23.07% if you hit 5hours on the dot. The headwind is real on that route at the time of year. No negative splits happening if it fierce. Autobus is definitely favorable.

Besides you know how i roll...Who the fuck rides 27.5😆😆
You can borrow one of my bikes if you really want to try and beat the record

Robin

One of the good things about being in school is I can only eat during my lunch - so no "snacking". And by the time I get home, do my workout/thing, it's time to make dinner. But...no change since Friday....a bit disappointed. I've been on course with my plan of exercise and tracking my food/what I eat. Maybe it will budge later this week. Feeling good overall, so I have that going for me.

Top Bottom