Biggest crash in stock market history?

Give it a couple of months, Dave, you big teddy bear, you.

See my first post on 3/16/20 in the "How are we ever supposed to retire?" thread, ????????

Sounds like APO is about to buy up/vulterize some desperate companies.

Private money to the rescue as i mentioned to @stb222 in the past. I think this will be very noticeable to some in hindsight. Middle market companies have been using PE as a business strategy for quite some time now.

Last edited:

I read the article. I hope this medicine proves helpful, but given the trials are far from complete, it seems bizarre to me that this prompts more movement in the market than the "actual" economic data that's been released all week....and there's been lots released.

To me the market moves seem driven by 80% emotion and 20% data lately. I don't understand the optimism. Best case scenario, we come out of this quickly and there isn't a significant second wave when we reopen, there is still a lot of economic damage to overcome But today, in the face of that damage, and the uncertainty of a potential second wave etc., the S&P appears to sitting at around the same level it averaged for the first 1/2 to 2/3rds of 2019.

That simply doesn't make sense to me. To me it seems we are in a far far worse position than we were then economically. No matter how I slice it, it just seems overvalued. Granted, there are some bright spots in there (Netflix, Amazon etc..) but overall I don't get it, there are a lot of companies in there that have a long road ahead.

Am I missing something obvious here?

I read the article. I hope this medicine proves helpful, but given the trials are far from complete, it seems bizarre to me that this prompts more movement in the market than the "actual" economic data that's been released all week....and there's been lots released.

To me the market moves seem driven by 80% emotion and 20% data lately. I don't understand the optimism. Best case scenario, we come out of this quickly and there isn't a significant second wave when we reopen, there is still a lot of economic damage to overcome But today, in the face of that damage, and the uncertainty of a potential second wave etc., the S&P appears to sitting at around the same level it averaged for the first 1/2 to 2/3rds of 2019.

That simply doesn't make sense to me. To me it seems we are in a far far worse position than we were then economically. No matter how I slice it, it just seems overvalued. Granted, there are some bright spots in there (Netflix, Amazon etc..) but overall I don't get it, there are a lot of companies in there that have a long road ahead.

Am I missing something obvious here?
I think amazon will miss on earnings and collapse. I don’t understand it either. We are in a bear market. Dow Composite index is hitting a lot of resistance. China had a 6.8% contraction in the first quarter gdp

I think amazon will miss on earnings and collapse. I don’t understand it either. We are in a bear market. Dow Composite index is hitting a lot of resistance. China had a 6.8% contraction in the first quarter gdp

So, I would think a miss on earnings is somewhat likely, but more likely is a huge revenue increase and an enormous increase in forecast revenue growth, which is most important to valuation.3 Standing IMG_20181227_120446-01.jpg

I don't know, I don't think my wife has slowed down at all. We seem to have a steady stream of deliveries. When I took out the recycling last night I broke down a 5hit ton of boxes!

I struggle with my kids 529 plans because I can only change the investment objective twice per cal yr. My oldest has a 5 year timeline before it's needed. I ended up changing their objectives today...away from "aggressive age based equities" to a "fixed income" objective. They are still down ytd, but not in a terrible spot where the market closed today. Even if the rally runs up further and I miss out, I'm ok with that risk weighed against another drop in the relative near term.

@Rick That article you quoted not long ago had Kosten predicting S&P at 3000 by YE. Well it's only 125 pts. away from there at today's close.

Last edited:
The market definitely didnt take to an employee driven walk out. It exposed one their biggest weakness in a very bad time.

Amazon has traditionally money whipped warehouse workers by paying a $1-2 more per hour against local rates. The trouble lies in employee relations with the company. Being treated as a number, etc etc.

Last edited:
Would anyone be willing to help me get started trading? Not a lot of money. Probably $150 initially.

Back
Top Bottom