bicycling specific innovations

qclabrat

wikipedia says chain drive was first used in bicycles, before cars & motorcycles
no doubt Wiki don't tell fake news. I'm trying to find something more modern where I can associate to current innovation theories. Current front runner in the dropper post. Do not terribly sexy when compared to Apple and Tesla innovations. Hmm... maybe I can use mountain bikes in general as an innovation. Great history in how it got to today from Steve Potts welding rims together for wider options to what we have today.

Reactions: don

qclabrat

Commercially/on almost every modern bicycle, is the slant-parallelogram derailleur that Suntour patented in the 80's(?). It is distinct from the original design, since it moves in two planes at once.

The bendix screw is another. At one point, it was high technology... Now found in $2 coaster brake hubs.
I can't figure out in the 5 seconds looking at one what problem it solved, please illuminate the bendix screw

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Electronic shifting. ....just say’n.

Paddle shifters came first no? Also auto transmission work off of computers doesn't that count.

Brings the idea of internal geared hubs... Don't they use planet gears? Are there any earlier implementation of those which are used now a days in hubs of heavy machinery and monster trucks to drills?

Karate Monkey

I can't figure out in the 5 seconds looking at one what problem it solved, please illuminate the bendix screw

Bendix gears were (are) historically used to start a large(r) motor. At sufficient speed, they are thrown away from the rotating parts, disengaging them; bicycles took this and applied a novel concept: using it as a two way rotational clutch that needed no cables/levers to operate. Bicycles used for transport used this mechanism extensively in the early 1900's. They reigned supreme until Sachs came along and used a roller clutch for the same function--certainly more complicated, but questionably durable; the bendix screw, even in heavily used hubs, rarely wears out before the entire mechanism is unrecoverable. The company that bears the name of the mechanism, Bendix, had an entire division dedicated to bicycles--first under the name Morrow, and later their own branding. I believe that literature from the time placed a coaster brake hub around $4.00--certainly not cheap!

Paddle shifters came first no? Also auto transmission work off of computers doesn't that count.

Brings the idea of internal geared hubs... Don't they use planet gears? Are there any earlier implementation of those which are used now a days in hubs of heavy machinery and monster trucks to drills?

Interestingly enough, there were British machine lathes that used modified Sturmey Archer 3 speed hubs to have 3 different speeds. Many (most?) modern starters in cars are planetary, as well.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
If you're looking for things that are completely unique to cycling, you're going to be pretty limited. Cycling clothing borrows from other areas (like golf, with the notion of a turbulent boundary layer.) Suspension innovation spills over from Moto-X (which doesn't specifically cover droppers, but they're an extension of that.) Frame materials are trickle down from NASA (as is so many other things.) And (as already mentioned) tubeless tires were already a thing. The idea of liquid latex as a sealant may have come from cycling mostly because it solved a problem that didn't exist with motor vehicle tires - thinner sidewalls were more susceptible to puncture and smaller volume means higher pressure, so the liquid latex is an elegant solution. So that might be one. I don't think clipless pedals came from anywhere else, but someone can keep me honest on that one.

Overall, if you want to look for something that is very much unique to cycling, you might have to look for something that solved a uniquely "cycling" problem. For example, changes to frame shapes over time to address cycling-specific applications. A great example of this in road bikes is the differences in frame shape for different applications - like look at the way seat stays come into the seat tube on most aero road bikes now compared to just 10 years ago. In the past, they met the seat tube near the seat clamp, but testing showed the bike is more aero if they come in lower. Geometry differences like that might be the most bike-specific innovations over the years. In less performance-related arenas, saddles are a big one. Saddles shapes and materials have changed a lot over the years, with some fairly radical comfort implications. But personally, I think one of the biggest innovations that seems to be cycling specific would have to be electronic shifting. Ironic that a long-time SSer would say that, no? But I've been riding my gravel and my road bike a lot lately, the former having e-tap. And it is a world of difference in terms of reliable shifting and smoothness. It may just be something you don't miss until you experience it, but having stumbled into it, I can't believe how big a difference it makes.

The Kalmyk

A paper is worthy of innovation failures as well... Look up American Beryllium which tried to sell for $30k a frame.

Duel wheel drive bikes.

JonF

As other have alluded to, the MTB industry is fairly nascent still and only recently has begun to ween off the teat of road bikes where it diverged from. So much borrowed parts and technology along with the general talent pool being small has led to slow progress. But the latter years things seem to be ramping up with much faster growth and innovation. One of the areas that is less physically tangible, but very rich in unique, mountain bike-specific is suspension kinematics. There are so many problems to solve in a machine that is human powered in order to optimize all the forces present between man, machine and terrain, quite a number of interesting designs for rear (and some front) suspension geometries have been developed. Its also interesting to see the different designs that are developed depending on the the way the bike will be ridden. More pedaley bikes get designs to optimize pedaling efficiency and acceleration whereas gravity oriented bikes get designs that favor coasting, braking a large bump compliance.

DargSide

I think suspension design is really unique to mountain bikes, pedaling efficiency is a pretty bike specific constraint

Ian F

This might be a bit specific, but possibly post-mounted brake calipers. The IS 74 standard that was first developed by Hayes and is now used by pretty much every mtn bike brake manufacturer. My understanding is some motorcycles have gone to this type of mounting since then as well, starting a few years after they were introduced on mtn bikes. Some high performance automotive calipers also mount in a similar way for easier brake servicing during an endurance race, although tab mounting is still most common for production cars.
Either way, could be a topic worth digging deeper into.

JonF

I recall there was a similar movement in the motorcycle world to adopt "radial mount" brake calipers some time back. Previously, most calipers were standard tab mount on sliders or just direct with no float. Most MTB brakes seem to be the radial/post mount nowadays with some other types of bikes doing a non-post mount. Why is that?

Top Bottom