Best Local Sources

The beeradvoctae is all about reviewing. I am a huge fan of microbrews, but the people on there are just too much for me to handle. Everyone is in competition to be the snobbiest reviewer. I couldn't be that much of a critic about beer and i understand that people are really into it, but damn. I like the site for their review ratings that come out of it, but i avoid reading the individual reviews.

BeerFly is te subsection of BA about location reviews. You can get a list of NJ reviews sorted by # of reviews here:
http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/lis...eviews&search=&zip=&city=&name=&bfcg=&store=Y

Just to add to Mike's recommendation here: This place has no name on the sign, just a generic "SPIRITS" or something like that. They go really deep with some breweries. For example, they have more varieties by DFH than I have ever seen, many of them vintage-dated. Lots of bottle-conditioned Belgian stuff, which is a particular preference for me. And a pretty deep whisk(e)y selection as well, which I tend to spend a good amount of time drooling over when I'm there. I've yet to encounter a better place in Monmouth or south/central Middlesex.

The best part is that I live like a mile away from there!!!:drooling::D

There's a little place in Newark that will also cash your check while you shop.
There was a place in West Milford a few years ago that had beer from around the world that you could buy by the bottle to try. I think it is Greenwood wines and liquors or something. At the intersection of Greenwood Lake TPK and Lakeside Rd.

That page is just sorted by reviews. I find the more reviews a place has, the more "legit" it is. I use the same for any online review.

That Oak Tree store was rated #1 in NJ by ratebeer.com, according to their website.

If someone *really* wants to compile a list, we could make a map like the trails and shops pages. That sounds like a hell of a lot of work for minimal benefit though.

That page is just sorted by reviews. I find the more reviews a place has, the more "legit" it is. I use the same for any online review.

That Oak Tree store was rated #1 in NJ by ratebeer.com, according to their website.

If someone *really* wants to compile a list, we could make a map like the trails and shops pages. That sounds like a hell of a lot of work for minimal benefit though.

Did you check out http://beermapping.com/

They have one of those Google maps going and NJ is in serious need of suggestions and reviews.

In Monmouth County I recommend the former Foodtown on Sunset Avenue in Wanamassa (Ocean Township). I believe it is now called Wanamassa Liquors. Anyway, they have a vast selection of international beers and a pretty good cross section of small batch domestic offerings. Better yet, they still operate a very passable grocery section.

Back
Top Bottom