Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Just came from a ride on my bicycle, just when I made to my car saw that my tire was leaking around the bead super close to the rim... any advice guys ? I’ll try to fix it before Saturday lol!
Tubeless? I should be the last person to comment on tubeless but sounds like it burped? I would just add more sealant and let it work its magic.

JuniorT58

Tubeless? I should be the last person to comment on tubeless but sounds like it burped? I would just add more sealant and let it work its magic.
Yeah they’re tubeless, and here’s a picture so you can see the little bubbles coming up

Attachments

• FB965A0A-56CD-4CD2-9C8A-B066BA5A364C.jpeg
    FB965A0A-56CD-4CD2-9C8A-B066BA5A364C.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 202

qclabrat

I've been wanting to ride the Talon for a while now which is why I've been trying to get the front tubeless like a mad man this week.
I'm going tubed, not sure which direction in tires I'm looking to go for the Gnarvester

qclabrat

Yeah they’re tubeless, and here’s a picture so you can see the little bubbles coming up
That looks like the bead separated from the rim and trying to reseal itself when you added air. It should be fine if it's keeping air. But you should consider adding some more sealant soon. Nice that it came setup tubeless, if you bought it locally perhaps the bike shop offers a complimentary bike check after the first few weeks.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I've been wanting to ride the Talon for a while now which is why I've been trying to get the front tubeless like a mad man this week.
Just picked up some gorilla tape and if this fails.... eh... go back to tubes I guess.
I would have thought you would bring out the soft tail for LewMo.

JuniorT58

Well, after two hours of hard work with a simple tire, my “tubeless” set up had a tube in it. Checked the tube and saw a small puncture. Patched it and the tire seems fine now... :D changed my first tire so now I’m starting to feel pro and stuff lol

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Well, after two hours of hard work with a simple tire, my “tubeless” set up had a tube in it. Checked the tube and saw a small puncture. Patched it and the tire seems fine now... :D changed my first tire so now I’m starting to feel pro and stuff lol
So it wasn't a tubeless?
Then what was that stuff that was fizzing out?

JuniorT58

So it wasn't a tubeless?
Then what was that stuff that was fizzing out?
That’s some soapy water I used outside the tire.. and yes the rim and tire are tubeless but for some reason I have tubes in my tires lol... I guess Raleigh put it like that to built it faster ?

qclabrat

That’s some soapy water I used outside the tire.. and yes the rim and tire are tubeless but for some reason I have tubes in my tires lol... I guess Raleigh put it like that to built it faster ?
No, most bikes if even tubeless come with tubes and is setup by the bike shop. No one wants to deal with a nice new bike covered in sealant while unboxing

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
What Walter said. My Trance came with tubeless ready tires and rims but they still stuck a tube in there. At least they were good tubes where I can use the valve core lol

JuniorT58

What Walter said. My Trance came with tubeless ready tires and rims but they still stuck a tube in there. At least they were good tubes where I can use the valve core lol
So, keep the tubeless running with a tube or take out the tube and run it tubeless ?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
So, keep the tubeless running with a tube or take out the tube and run it tubeless ?
I would try to set it up tubeless but that's just me... and prolly many others.
But, if you are not experiencing pitch flats, and you are ok with it, you can keep it tubed. But once you start riding more technical and rocky terrains... which you already have, it would be beneficial to run tubeless. You can run lower pressure to get more traction. In my personally experience of when I ran tubes, I used to get a lot of pitch flats on my rear but rarely on the front. I am thinking this is prolly due to my slow speed. I am also thinking in my current speed (which is not that much faster) and the way I am smacking into rocks as I do with my Trance, I prolly would have gotten lot more flats up front.

Having said that, if your rims and tires are tubeless ready, it should be a "breeze." I say this in quotes because that has not been my experience but I suck at this. lol But you do need the proper parts and equipment if you were to DYI it. It took me many tries and many hrs, but I got it done even on non-tubeless ready rims.

Last edited:

qclabrat

do it when you have a completely free day and not too cold, first time can take longer than normal
it's a basic bike skill everyone rider should have such as adjusting brakes and drivetrain
we can talk about what you need to get started tomorrow

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
do it when you have a completely free day and not too cold, first time can take longer than normal
it's a basic bike skill everyone rider should have such as adjusting brakes and drivetrain
we can talk about what you need to get started tomorrow
Its going to be cold tomorrow morning.... I am breaking out the bar mitts and the toe warmers

qclabrat

Its going to be cold tomorrow morning.... I am breaking out the bar mitts and the toe warmers
yep, this is a good opportunity to test out your winter gear if you intend to ride deep into the season
suggest to over dress, we'll do a quick lap on yellow and orange and can get back to the cars to add or remove layers before doing the full yellow lap

bar mitts? not yet for me
which ones did you get?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I have the rockbros from Aliexpress. It works well and keeps the wind out.

For something like tomorrow's temps, I can wear my regular gloves and be ok. I cant wear really thick gloves because of my runny nose as its difficult to get tissue out. I rode thru last 2 winters and I think I am pretty good with my winter gear. When it dips into the teens, that's when I have issues.

Top Bottom