Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Don’t worry about it ! I liked the ride a lot, if there’s any events most likely count me in :)
Below is the tentative schedule @qclabrat put together.
Btw, I said this before but wow... I am very impressed with your riding today. No way I could have ridden like you did today when I was at 2 weeks. At your rate, you will blow me away in another couple of weeks!
:thumbsup:

Folks I'm going to put some dates down so I ride more than once every two weeks. LMK if anyone's interested. If Saturday falls through, @C8N is usually down for HM on Sunday and me at CR.

Oct 14- Tourne
Oct 21- Chimney Rock (MTBNJ led?)
Oct 28- Deer Park
Nov 4- Round Valley
Nov 11- Wildcat
Nov 18- Sourlands
Nov 25- Mahlon Dickerson
Dec 2- Six Mile
Dec 9- Allamuchy
Dec 16- Nassau
Dec 23- Lewis Morris
Dec 30- Ringwood (graduation day)

JuniorT58

Below is the tentative schedule @qclabrat put together.
Btw, I said this before but wow... I am very impressed with your riding today. No way I could have ridden like you did today when I was at 2 weeks. At your rate, you will blow me away in another couple of weeks!
:thumbsup:
HAHAAHHAH thanks for the props, but I’ve been riding almost everyday that’s why my ass hurts lol also, I was the only one who fell like 3 times!

qclabrat

Don’t worry about it ! I liked the ride a lot, if there’s any events most likely count me in :)
Getting lost seemed to be a trend today, but now that we got the maiden ride at DP, I think its pretty easy to navigate. Tried to let someone else lead, but you kept on relying on the guy with dyslexia.

My schedule has parks alternating between North and South of I80. Next Saturday is Round Valley. The north side is a bit technical but the rest is more about conditioning. Bring you extra set of lungs to the ride. But we'll be sure to regroup at the top of each climb. We'll be meeting at the lot by the scuba diving area. Will send an exact location later next week.

It was fun today and DP is a really good beginner park with nice flowy uphills and downs. And just enough logs and rocks to remind that you are in the NE. Not much elevation so great to work on spinning.

JuniorT58

Getting lost seemed to be a trend today, but now that we got the maiden ride at DP, I think its pretty easy to navigate. Tried to let someone else lead, but you kept on relying on the guy with dyslexia.

My schedule has parks alternating between North and South of I80. Next Saturday is Round Valley. The north side is a bit technical but the rest is more about conditioning. Bring you extra set of lungs to the ride. But we'll be sure to regroup at the top of each climb. We'll be meeting at the lot by the scuba diving area. Will send an exact location later next week.

It was fun today and DP is a really good beginner park with nice flowy uphills and downs. And just enough logs and rocks to remind that you are in the NE. Not much elevation so great to work on spinning.
Wow, a set of extra lungs ? That doesn’t sound easy lol

GreenMachine

Hit two places this afternoon- Thompson park , Jamesburg - mix of trail riding & mtb a great place to rip for an hour or so... really for a beginner but I’m sure better riders can get more out of it. Really the other end of a mtb park compared to last week Chimney rock.

Though I hate riding alone

And 6 mile - really is there a better entry into a trail than 6 mile ?

Hope I can meet you @ Round Valley Nov 4

Also anyone have the week Nov 6th off? ( any Teachers here ? Ha ) I plan on riding 4 of the 7 ..

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Your radar is usually pretty good and your sense of direction is far superior than mine which is why I hesitate to lead whenever we ride. It was a new park and as for me, I had fun. Hope the rest did as well and thats all that matters.

Next Saturday is Round Valley. The north side is a bit technical but the rest is more about conditioning. Bring you extra set of lungs to the ride. But we'll be sure to regroup at the top of each climb. We'll be meeting at the lot by the scuba diving area. Will send an exact location later next week.
From trail directory:
On the back side the park butts up against Cushetunk Preserve, which adds a few miles and absurd climbs. In general Round Valley is not for the light of heart (or legs or lungs for that matter). It packs a wallop of a punch in the amount of climbing to be had.

Kinda glad I can't make it... have fun puking! :p

13miles and 1k feet of climbing today... I thought it was a pretty good mix.

Last edited:

Rollin Dice

Thanks for letting me join in, great ride. Nice meeting you and hope to get back on some future rides. I'll try not to slow you down too much

JuniorT58

Thanks for letting me join in, great ride. Nice meeting you and hope to get back on some future rides. I'll try not to slow you down too much
Slow down who ? I was at my limit lol. If I pushed it further I would of fell again and you guys would of had to call the ambulance, helicopters, firefighters, police officers and more ! :D

GreenMachine

Question for the new guys like myself - do you prefer the flats of say Allaire & 6 mile , Mercer etc of the climbs like Chimney Rock mixed with faster descent?
Now that I’ve been out a number of times - I can’t say I really enjoy “ rock beds “ or a day of-lung busting climbs . I’ll take single track mixed with some jumps and switchbacks any day.

qclabrat

you've got the skills covered, just need to work on the engine bit, keep it up and you'll be back to where you were
after you passed me on that climb, I was afraid to I'd have to chase you uphill the rest of the ride...

JuniorT58

you've got the skills covered, just need to work on the engine bit, keep it up and you'll be back to where you were
after you passed me on that climb, I was afraid to I'd have to chase you uphill the rest of the ride...
Yeah both of you guys disappeared beginning the trail, I told to myself this is it, either I’m to slow or I’m not even beginner lol :D

JuniorT58

Question for the new guys like myself - do you prefer the flats of say Allaire & 6 mile , Mercer etc of the climbs like Chimney Rock mixed with faster descent?
Now that I’ve been out a number of times - I can’t say I really enjoy “ rock beds “ or a day of-lung busting climbs . I’ll take single track mixed with some jumps and switchbacks any day.
I don’t mind to be honest, I’m new into MTB so I’m looking to expand my knowledge st most of the trails that we have around. But downhill and switchbacks are cool too!

qclabrat

weather doesn't look good for the next few days and wet rocks for a beginner ride isn't the best venue, that being said RV is probably the most bombproof trail in NJ when it's wet
If the weather cooperates, I'm going to instead do an encore of CR with what should be and easyish ride through all 5 trails with waterfall and hawk watch views...
@GreenMachine's been looking for another battle with the park :mad:

I'll post up here at the end of week after getting a trail conditions report

jackx

FYI.

Sunday Nov. 5, is a 2-park marathon ride of 26 miles. It definitely is a lot of mtb miles, but it is designed as 2 parts so riders can do 1/2 or 2/2 parks - specifically, Deer Park and Stephens SP. Bring your lungs though because the Deer Park Orange trail from Kinney Rd. at the start of part 1 of the ride is a challenging uphill and includes a few ridable water crossings.

I did this marathon ride the last few years and I can say that it can be a long day, because it is essentially a "no drop ride", and so the pace is not too fast because of frequent stops to regroup . You need to have a good chunk of the day to do both parks. Probably from 9am to 2:30 pm to do all 26 miles, including maybe a 30 minute stop between the 2 parks for a quick lunch.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
When I started 3 years ago, it was all about stats. I wanted to see improvements... more miles, more climbing, faster, longer while staying on the saddle.
Fast forward 3 years, I am riding the same miles, same elevation, same speed and same duration. I do stay on the saddle bit more tho... lol

qclabrat

FYI.

Sunday Nov. 5, is a 2-park marathon ride of 26 miles. It definitely is a lot of mtb miles, but it is designed as 2 parts so riders can do 1/2 or 2/2 parks - specifically, Deer Park and Stephens SP. Bring your lungs though because the Deer Park Orange trail from Kinney Rd. at the start of part 1 of the ride is a challenging uphill and includes a few ridable water crossings.

I did this marathon ride the last few years and I can say that it can be a long day, because it is essentially a "no drop ride", and so the pace is not too fast because of frequent stops to regroup . You need to have a good chunk of the day to do both parks. Probably from 9am to 2:30 pm to do all 26 miles, including maybe a 30 minute stop between the 2 parks for a quick lunch.
Sounds great, but weather doesn't look great this weekend. How do the 3 Allamuchy parks drain?

Top Bottom