Ask an automobile mechanic.

There should be 5 7 other spark plugs in the engine that still work, so one might wait until the next 100,000 mile tune-up. Or only replace the 1 now.
FTFY

unless you are assuming the two back ones plus this one are bad, which is always likely since noone seems to like reaching for the ones under the firewall.

15 Highlander.... grinding noise coming from driver side front wheel when making right turns. Not a high pitched noise... bearing shot?
Ended up being the brakes.
Do pads no longer come with those pad wear indicators that makes a high pitched noise when it comes in contact with the rotor? I had none of that... and when I asked about it to the service dude, he looked at me as if I had 2 heads.

depends on the pads that are installed, i have had pads both ways in the recent past. they also only tend to put the feeler on ONE pad per wheel, not both, so if you wear down the other pad faster you still f-d

depends on the pads that are installed, i have had pads both ways in the recent past. they also only tend to put the feeler on ONE pad per wheel, not both, so if you wear down the other pad faster you still f-d
I definitely got f ed today

I definitely got f ed today

normally id suggest DIY to save yourself, but knowing the target audience here i think taking it in was the right choice, i can only think of one person who (on this board) who that choice may be MORE right for

normally id suggest DIY to save yourself, but knowing the target audience here i think taking it in was the right choice, i can only think of one person who (on this board) who that choice may be MORE right for
Would have done DIY but the car is too big for my garage.... or my garage is too small for the car.

I have a 2009 Corolla with 230 miles, oil changed 5-7k with synthetic. At 50-70k miles it started making a grinding noise ( sounds like a double start... or when you a pulll start string on a mower when it’s on) on the first start of the day when it is cooler than 40 degrees. The sound didn’t occur after first start and an oil pan warmer helped prevent the noise. At 90k I brought to the dealer, they replaced a camshaft bearing?? On warranty. It didn’t fix the sound. The engine has been fine, now that it is garage kept it has made the noise less frequently. Just recently the noise had been longer and happening at warmer temps, any suggestions on what this is? At around the time the noise occurred I did change the oil with valvoline that was a 5-30, when i normally used a 0-20 or 5-20?

Sounds like it has to be the starter or the flywheel, or the clearance between the two. That noise could be the starter overrun clutch (which is a similar mechanism to the lawn mower pull starter overrun clutch). Makes sense at lower temperatures since the clearances would be less. Maybe the starter soliniod clutch spring is weak and not disengaging it?

See internet mechanicing is fun, all speculation, no busted knuckles. :D

Are those fuel injector cleaners useful or just a waste?
If the injector is clogged or restricted, cleaners would be the first thing to do. Techron , BG44, sea foam are good brands to use, aand they work well. At the dealer we sell wallet flushes, and dump a can of BG44 in the tank. I think it's over 100 biden bucks for us to do that. No way is that economical, just a waste.

If the injector is clogged or restricted, cleaners would be the first thing to do. Techron , BG44, sea foam are good brands to use, aand they work well. At the dealer we sell wallet flushes, and dump a can of BG44 in the tank. I think it's over 100 biden bucks for us to do that. No way is that economical, just a waste.
I was just asking about the additives they sell for like $5 at the auto parts stores.

Sounds like it has to be the starter or the flywheel, or the clearance between the two. That noise could be the starter overrun clutch (which is a similar mechanism to the lawn mower pull starter overrun clutch). Makes sense at lower temperatures since the clearances would be less. Maybe the starter soliniod clutch spring is weak and not disengaging it?

See internet mechanicing is fun, all speculation, no busted knuckles. :D
Thanks, The clearance between the two makes sense, I often thought the flywheel, but couldnt explain the temperature connection, clearance ties it in.

I have a 2009 Corolla with 230 miles, oil changed 5-7k with synthetic. At 50-70k miles it started making a grinding noise ( sounds like a double start... or when you a pulll start string on a mower when it’s on) on the first start of the day when it is cooler than 40 degrees. The sound didn’t occur after first start and an oil pan warmer helped prevent the noise. At 90k I brought to the dealer, they replaced a camshaft bearing?? On warranty. It didn’t fix the sound. The engine has been fine, now that it is garage kept it has made the noise less frequently. Just recently the noise had been longer and happening at warmer temps, any suggestions on what this is? At around the time the noise occurred I did change the oil with valvoline that was a 5-30, when i normally used a 0-20 or 5-20?
Sounds like a worn flex plate, since a warmer temperature makes it expand slightly, you should have a plastic cover at the bottom from which you can inspect the flex plate, if you see any metal dust or worn out teeth than that is the issue. So that would be step number one, since it's just advice over the internet and I don't have the car in front of me for inspection or diagnosis.

I don't know if 2009 Corollas have timing chains or a belt. But my WRX has a hydraulic timing chain tensioner, when I first start my car sometimes I can hear the timing chain rub on the guides slightly until the oil pressure builds and tensions the chain then the noise goes away. Maybe that's what your are hearing?

Loose bolt on the starter. Or starter on it’s way out. Very slowly.

Finally getting over shingles so getting the interior redone. Got a list a page deep, jumped on planning for a stereo, but there's much more to do before. Decided to keep the seats and upholstery for now as I kinda like the pimp look. Teared out the carpet for a replacement but will cover with deadener first. Took out the rear arm rests to plan for the 3 pt seat belts and found one of the vert top pumps are leaking. Also with the inside stripped down will try to figure out why I'm getting a bottoming out thud with uneven road.
PXL_20210404_212422336.jpg
PXL_20210408_133430271.jpgPXL_20210408_133453074.jpg
Building a mid-bass cabinet for the system, will double as a back seat arm rest. Trying not to cut up the interior so most components will be modular. I liked working with Alpine stuff growing up so sticking with them.
PXL_20210408_160639818.jpg

Back
Top Bottom