Apollo 11 Launch at 500 fps

Gotta watch this when I get off of my piece of crap apple device which doesn't allow me to watch videos wihout steve job's consent.
Guess where I'm going to be on the 15th?
Atlantis last flight!!!!!!!! I have put off watching a launch live for too long, it better not get delayed.
I hate our president :(

Atlantis last flight!!!!!!!! I have put off watching a launch live for too long, it better not get delayed.

Have fun with that!

I wish I could do that. I was invited down to the cape by NASA for the launch of SLS-71 (Atlantis, June '95)...couldn't make it (moving, recent knee surgery, busted ribs, I was a mess). My team at the time designed/built the metabolic analyzers that flew on that (and subsequent) life science missions...a unit even ended up on MIR.

Yeah, I regret not getting down there...

Last edited:
What's your opinion on the current upgrade/downgrade/outsourcing of the man-space missions?

I built a whole array of control panels for furnaces and a scada type computer to control them that are all aerospace rated. Not sure if anything has passed through them that has gone into space though. I know that the bushings/bearings on every small motor (like the flaps motors) for basically every commercial jetliner has gone through my furnaces :)

They had spacecraft when you were a kid??:D

Cool clip!

In Tim's defense....when he was a kid they had all of the cool spacecraft. They had cars with piano wire tires rallying on the moon! Now we get the international space station :( I believe the saturn is still the most powerful machine ever built by humans.

What's your opinion on the current upgrade/downgrade/outsourcing of the man-space missions?

To be honest I haven't been paying a lot of attention, nor have spent much time thinking about it (<<-- disclaimer!). It makes sense to me to bag moon missions provided that doesn't hamper research/preparation for deep space missions, which are infinitely more interesting to me, anyway. Does it? I dunno'...

As far as outsourcing, I have no issue with that. You're merely cutting the middleman (NASA) out of a mission that is routine (ferrying stuff into low earth orbit)...NASA should focus on advancing the science, not driving the truck. Besides, 99% of the work done for NASA is done by contractors already.

When we had our design reviews for our analyzers at JSC, there were about 50 folks in the room. I think 3 or 4 actually worked for NASA and the rest worked for GE, Martin Marietta, Rockwell, etc.

I witnessed a live shuttle launch when I was in grade school. Cool stuff indeed.

I went to Spacecamp in Huntsville, AL in '86. Just months after Challenger blew.

I went to Spacecamp in Huntsville, AL in '86. Just months after Challenger blew.

I was told about Challenger when I walked into 201 Fenton Hall for an Elementary Analysis class at the U of O...I thought I was getting my chain yanked...

BTW, on the lighter site, 201 Fenton Hall is where the "court" scene was filmed in Animal House.

I was told about Challenger when I walked into 201 Fenton Hall for an Elementary Analysis class at the U of O...I thought I was getting my chain yanked...

They announced Challenger over the PA system at my school. I was in 8th grade art class.

I witnessed a live shuttle launch when I was in grade school. Cool stuff indeed.

No kidding? I loved that movie when I a kid....kelly preston was like 18 and smoking! Although I was 10, so I probably liked watching the stupid robot just as much.

Back
Top Bottom