Anyone Ride a Niner these Days

goodvibe

So I was looking to possibly change the frame out on my gravel bike. I like the bike, but I kind of like the Niner RLT 9 RDO and they are pretty much available. I thought they were on the brink of bankruptcy not too long ago. I was just wondering what your thoughts are.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I have an Air 9 RDO
Had it for about 2 years now but only about 300 miles. Granted I have only ridden in tame places like 6MR and Allaire... nowhere rough but no problems so far.
In the beginning, I had some questions on the internal cable routing and contacted Niner via email and they seemed to be pretty responsive at that time.

EDIT: Mine came with some foam type chain stay guards. Pretty flimsy. Other than this... no complaints so far.

goldsbar

My experience with a warranty claim several years ago was pretty much as bad as possible. Strung me along for months without a yes/no. Finally said would sell me a crash replacement frame. Never actually did. Only thing worse would have been them taking my money and not giving me the frame. That was well before their bankruptcy.

THATmanMANNY

I picked up two used ones within the last year. I love the BSB RDO but don’t ride it enough. I have if to sale and on PB but last two buyers flaked but I’m happy the did because it like it that much. Hopefully when more warm weather comes I’ll exercise it more. @stb222 Twice was so close to selling for $2k+ But I ain’t @Pearl

recently, a RIP9 carbon mint but the links definitely have some play. I haven’t even ridden it yet since the snow and wetness. I haven’t played with correcting it yet but if all else fails I’ll hit up Halters and get their thoughts/service because they were Niner dealers during Niner’s heyday.

Mark S

I’ve been riding a 2017 NINER JET 9 RDO 2 STAR SLX RS 27.5+ BIKE, which I’ve bought new. Nice bike and have never had any problems with it. I have a 2013 Trek AL 100 Superfly Elite which has also been fine. I’m a very conservative (slow) rider and honestly all well maintained bikes seem good. I’ve been riding forever or longer and as long as everything works as it should, I’m happy.

trener1

I have a RIP9 RDO, I bought it from a local shop, I don't really have any experience dealing with Niner the brand, I did however have a quick question last year and gave them a call, got someone in the phone right away and he was very helpful, my thoughts are that things have improved since the bankruptcy with the new ownership.

Last edited:

goodvibe

I picked up two used ones within the last year. I love the BSB RDO but don’t ride it enough. I have if to sale and on PB but last two buyers flaked but I’m happy the did because it like it that much. Hopefully when more warm weather comes I’ll exercise it more. @stb222 Twice was so close to selling for $2k+ But I ain’t @Pearl

recently, a RIP9 carbon mint but the links definitely have some play. I haven’t even ridden it yet since the snow and wetness. I haven’t played with correcting it yet but if all else fails I’ll hit up Halters and get their thoughts/service because they were Niner dealers during Niner’s heyday.
Thanks. This would be a gravel bike so no links.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I completely forgot about niner, seems like everyone was riding them a few years back.

I had an rlt9, didn’t do anything for me. It was replacing my jake the snake, which ended up with a bent chainstay. The bikes were fairly similar on paper, so I can’t explain why I loved my jake the snake so much more. Maybe the cx geo made enough of a difference.

Ian F

I had a couple of Niner frames, although it was from the early era when everyone was still sorting out 29er geometry. I had an early Jet 9 and developed a hatred for that bike... For a few years my team had a grassroots deal with Niner so I bunch of us had them for awhile. I had an Air-9 that rode a lot at 6MR. I also had a first-year WFO, but never got it built up (my dreams of a 29er DH bike were a bit too ahead of the times back in 2010).

I think many of us got into Niner frames 10-odd years ago because Halter's sold them along with a few other shops. Then apparently Niner saturated their dealer network, combined with their reluctance to move with the times (they clung to their wonky geometry numbers for too long) caused the brand to fall out of favor.

That said, two YouTubers I follow (Dylan Johnson and Syd & Macky) are Niner sponsored riders and were I looking for a bike I'd consider one. I am still bemused by the full-suspension gravel bike. I'd like to build up one of those some day.

goodvibe

Thanks for the info. I will check it out. I got this one.

1614821798242.png

Top Bottom