Any trail runners here?

T

tlnj

Yeah, this is a mountain biking site, but I think this has some relevance.
My bike needs a little fixing, so I decided to run again. Man, I love it! What's cool is that you can hit some trails that are off limits to bikes. For instance, I had the pleasure of running in beautiful Harriman state Park this past weekend

Though you don't get the same thrills you might on a bike, it's pretty cool that it's just your body vs nature. Scrambling up rocks can be mad fun and, believe it or not, you can do some pretty sick drops!

Trail running is also a bit more forgiving when conditions are not great. That's not to say that hiking/running does not impact trails, but at times, it may be a better option.

So, anyone else here get out for the occasional run?

D

DANSPANK

If the weather is really poo then I take my pooch and run in the state parks. I love it too. I'll say right now that I'll likely not commit to a group run though!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
in ireland there is a huge crossover population between mtn bikers and 'hill runners'(trail runners). those guys/gals were super fit generally and really quick.

T

tlnj

in ireland there is a huge crossover population between mtn bikers and 'hill runners'(trail runners). those guys/gals were super fit generally and really quick.

Huh, how are the trails in Ireland? BTW, I like that term, "hill runners."

T

tlnj

It's Fell Running, in Blighty. They're fast too!

Well, i'm not going to jinx anything for myself by calling it "fell running." I definitely almost "fell" on my ass a coupla times this weekend.

What's the origin of that term?

Nimrod

Just ordered the Foot Pod thingy for the Polar HR. :D

Going to start running (okay jogging) again, in a couple of weeks

anrothar

entirely thrilled
it's not fell running over here mr limey pants. :D our trees are still standing.

trails in ireland are hard to come by, legally. but that's another topic.

D

DANSPANK

I think "fell" comes from the name given to smaller valleys - prbably similar to gulleys or culches over here. It's a proper, country word; "Where's the farm?", "It's about a mile away, just past those fells".

I think that's right.

clutch

I did it a bunch the year I lived about a mile from the Middlesex Fells up in Massachusetts. I had about a 7 mile out and back that I'd run all of the time. It was a nice way to keep in shape between December and April 15 when all the trails are off limits to mountain bikes up there. I really haven't done it since because If I'm gonna run I'd rather leave right from my house. If I'm gonna drive to a trail I'd rather take my bike with me.

J-Dro

In Scandinavia, a fell (fjell in Norwegian, fjäll in Swedish, tunturi in Finnish; "tunturi" is of the same Sami origin as the word tundra.) is a treeless mountain landscape that has been shaped by glacier ice earlier in history.

I smell a gerund.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
oh oh, he's back!!!!

Faster than the present tense, stronger than an interjection, able to leap run-on sentences in a single bound, it's a Verb! it's a Noun! it's
Gerund Man

Equipped with his participle accelerator and wristband tensometer, and aided by his trusty sidekick Verb Boy, Gerund Man fights crimes against grammar worldwide.

Dangling participles? Split infinitives? Have no fear, citizen! Gerund Man is here!

gerund2.png

T

tlnj

No, no, no!

It was a copy and paste from Wikipedia! Funny stuff though.:rofl:

oh oh, he's back!!!!

Faster than the present tense, stronger than an interjection, able to leap run-on sentences in a single bound, it's a Verb! it's a Noun! it's
Gerund Man

Equipped with his participle accelerator and wristband tensometer, and aided by his trusty sidekick Verb Boy, Gerund Man fights crimes against grammar worldwide.

Dangling participles? Split infinitives? Have no fear, citizen! Gerund Man is here!

gerund2.png

ytc100

oh oh, he's back!!!!

Gerund Man

gerund2.png

That's funny!

S

Shar0se

running.....now you're talking..... :)

ok so I was intrigued by the trail run thread but now I'm confused- what is with "-ing" man? I am definately missing something.....:) ......As for trail running- ah- now you are talking!! I am a beginner mtn bike rider who rides as cross training to my running- preferably trail running- I have a 10 mile trail race lined up for Nov. Here is great site to find all kinds of running races http://www.runningintheusa.com/RacesByState.asp?State=NJ&Month=9&RaceTypeID=6

Top Bottom