Any suckers watching soccer?

JPark

I think making the field shorter would make it more interesting. Too much time wasted kicking back and forth around mid field.
I don't like not knowing when the game will actually end. It's exciting in other sports when that clock is ticking down and going for the buzzer beater shot.

one piece crank

I think making the field shorter would make it more interesting. Too much time wasted kicking back and forth around mid field.
I don't like not knowing when the game will actually end. It's exciting in other sports when that clock is ticking down and going for the buzzer beater shot.
Soccer has a clock. 🤷‍♂️

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

MLS tried that for the first season or two, didn't really work that well.

There are indoor soccer leagues with less players and a smaller field, but it's much less popular.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
MLS tried that for the first season or two, didn't really work that well.

Curious to hear why not.

I do find the vague "end of game" finish line peculiar, likely because I grew up with very defined end points. After having the kids go through years of soccer we're used to it, mostly. It's funny as 99% of the time, the outcome at that point isn't in doubt so it's almost like the ref says, "Ok this is close enough," I say this because the refs never ever end the game in the middle of 1 team's progress of play. Meaning, the game always ends when the possession changes which means the end of the game is subjective. Just like (to me) offsides is sometimes subjective.

I know we like to say that in the US we don't like subjective things but anything with an official in it adds a huge subjective element. To me, this is part of the whole experience as a viewer. Yelling at the ref on the TV is part of the viewing experience.

Fun fact - recently I learned that volleyball also has the concept or yellow & red cards.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Curious to hear why not.

Partly because it was poorly implemented. The clock didn't stop and restart when the ball went out, only when the ref signaled that the clock should be stopped, usually due to injury or something. With the technology we have now, it could be done better, but I don't think many soccer fans think this is a problem that needs to be solved. I think they solved the problem years ago when they started announcing how much stoppage time there would be. Back in the day, you literally had no idea. Now they tell you it's 4 minutes, and it's usually accurate. MLS basically tried to Americanize soccer to make it more appealing to non-fans, but non-fans didn't really ever get into it.

Ultimately though, an American style countdown clock in soccer doesn't really make much sense, because there's generally not a scenario for a buzzer beater. In the NFL, you could be anywhere on the field with 1 second on the clock and be able to score. Similarly with basketball, the court is small, and the clock doesn't start until someone catches the ball in bounds, so you can have a buzzer beater. That's just not possible in soccer. A countdown clock actually had the opposite effect, because when the clock ran out the game was over. In a normal soccer match, the ref generally gives an attacking team an opportunity to finish their attack, and only calls half/full time after the chance takes place. So if there's 4 minutes of stoppage time, and a team crosses midfield with the ball and is heading toward the goal at 4 minutes, they are given a chance to score.

Soccer fans generally didn't like it, and nowhere else in the world does it like that, so they switched after a few seasons. They also had hockey style penalty shootouts for a tie, which was kind of cool, but that also didn't last very long.

Pampa

Pheeew!!! Argentina is always the same - generally, good fútbol and good effort, but while ahead we display arrogance and make stupid (and coslty) mistakes. Doesn't make for an enjoyable viewing experience :) My wife was getting reminders from Garmin to relax and make breathing exercises :)

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
today is where I have a major problem with this game....90 mins, then two OT periods and the games are 1-1 and 2-2, then they have to be decided by these stupid penalty kicks.....

I think the game would be better if they eliminated the goalie.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I think the game would be better if they eliminated the goalie.

not horrible - goalie can't use hands after the OT period(s)
still gets "protection" tho. once possessed, can bring it to the edge of the box uncontested.

and sudden death!

mwlikesbikes

That was a great finish for Argentina, I don’t care what Utah says! Hopefully they can win it all!
They just can’t get complacent like Brazil seemed to do today, Croatia is a tough team.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
today is where I have a major problem with this game....90 mins, then two OT periods and the games are 1-1 and 2-2, then they have to be decided by these stupid penalty kicks.....

Yeah, I'm not a fan of these games being decided by a penalty kick shootout. I think they should make them keep playing. The shootout definitely creates high fucking drama though.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Doesn't make for an enjoyable viewing experience

From a neutral perspective, it was a very exciting game :p

I'm rooting for Argentina (well, Messi) now that we are out, so I'm glad they got it done eventually. Imagine if the Dutch came back from 0-2 in the shootout to tie it up though? That would have really been crazy.

Pampa

From a neutral perspective, it was a very exciting game :p

I'm rooting for Argentina (well, Messi) now that we are out, so I'm glad they got it done eventually. Imagine if the Dutch came back from 0-2 in the shootout to tie it up though? That would have really been crazy.

Crazy but not that much really. It’s what Croatia did with Brazil. Croacia Argentina is going to be a really tough game.

xc62701

I haven’t watched many games, but that Netherlands - Argentina game was amazing! I agree the shootout is not that best way to decide who advances, but I was on the edge of my seat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom