Any suckers watching soccer?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I don’t actively search out watching soccer, that being said I put on the last 20 min of the game BECAUSE USA

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Most people would rather eat paint chips than ride a bicycle in Alaska when it's -50 degrees.

The correct number of paint chips is enough to ride at -50 degrees but not enough to watch Soccer. It probably varies depending on tolerance.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
im not a soccer fan....quite frankly when I watch the game on TV (I have never been to a live match and I have never really played it) I feel like it just lacks offense and its too easy for the better team to lose. That said, there have been quite alot of studies about how pro soccer players are among the top athletes on the planet and it is one of the most physically demanding sports....So I respect it/them. Kinda like how I think road racing is not my thing...but its really hard to do well at it and I respect it.

And no matter what I think...the top soccer players make 2-3 times as much per year as any top athlete in football/basketball/baseball......and that 100% because of how many people are watching the sport...So we are WAY in the minority in terms of thinking its boring....well I dont think its boring as much as I dont like the rules of the game. Shit the USA/UK game got over 15M viewers in the US on Friday....and while thats not an NFL game kind of number, its better than most anything else on TV lately.

xc62701

I can't say I'm a big soccer fan but I do enjoy watching a bit during world cups. At least the game roughly ends in 90 minutes vs the NFL that somehow stretches their hour of play into 3+ hours. I still don't understand why being offside is a thing. If you let the opposing player behind you and you're out of position, shouldn't that be your fault and not a penalty? I don't like that rule.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I can't say I'm a big soccer fan but I do enjoy watching a bit during world cups. At least the game roughly ends in 90 minutes vs the NFL that somehow stretches their hour of play into 3+ hours. I still don't understand why being offside is a thing. If you let the opposing player behind you and you're out of position, shouldn't that be your fault and not a penalty? I don't like that rule.
It prevents a player from just hanging out down by the goal and having one-on-one situations with the goalie (kinda similar to hockey offsides?)
However that semi automated things they have is questionable:
66F9B45E-D35D-4BDD-8FCF-1F9331EA78EE.jpeg
Like how can it be that exact?

To Utahs point, that field is freaking huge and you realize these guys are doing a huge number of 20-30 yard sprints at a time. The shape these guys are in is amazing.

Anymore I try and view these sports to appreciate the people are the best of the best in their sport.

xc62701

It prevents a player from just hanging out down by the goal and having one-on-one situations with the goalie (kinda similar to hockey offsides?)
However that semi automated things they have is questionable:
View attachment 201301
Like how can it be that exact?

To Utahs point, that field is freaking huge and you realize these guys are doing a huge number of 20-30 yard sprints at a time. The shape these guys are in is amazing.

Anymore I try and view these sports to appreciate the people are the best of the best in their sport.

Yea I understand the hanging by the goal part but at least hockey has the midline as their offsides point. That actually makes sense. Being offsides by your body being arbitrarily behind the last defender on this imaginary line is annoying. Yes those automated off sides things are crazy. I saw a graphic saying that one of the players mid way through the second half had already run a 10k during the game. Most of that is sprinting too. They are some of the most fit people on the planet and most fragile and dramatic at the same time....

Last edited:

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So ill admit I dont even understand the offsides thing.....I just cant believe that a game in which so much effort is put into...like how hard these players work could be decided by a penalty kick.....Granted, a couple rules in NFL football can have this kind of affect too, but there is more offense in football and its easier for a team to overcome a bad pass interference penalty, etc.

Top Bottom