ANOTHER tire question Maxxis/UST

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
First off I should be forcibly smashing my head on the desk for leaving the weirwolves on so long. I rode yesterday on the secondhand Maxxis ignitor/high roller combo I got from ninja4life and they were better in almost every possible way. I need to revise my review on the wtb's from "meh" to "suck". Anyway.

I have UST Mavics running tubeless on the 26 FS. There are lots of deals on 26x2.35 ignitors (mine are 2.1) but none are UST. Should I care? I've mounted non-tubeless specific geax and schwalbe products on the 29ers Stan's rims without issue, but not as sure about the ust design.

Thanks gang.

The Mavic rims are going to be different than Stan's rims. But you shouldn't have any problems with a Maxxis/Mavic combo. At least I never did.

Having said that...I know once in a while it simply "doesn't work" with the Mavic rims. Since going to the Stan's rims I feel like Mavics are "nice" but I'd never go back. I know you didn't ask that question. But any answer based on anything Stan's is not going to apply to Mavic rims. Just saying that once in a while, you'll get a tire that simply won't work with the Mavic.

Again, should be ok. But keep the caveat in mind.

This is on a 29er, but i have been running non UST ignitors and Ikons on the giant rims for about a month with no problems

The Mavic rims are going to be different than Stan's rims. But you shouldn't have any problems with a Maxxis/Mavic combo. At least I never did.

Having said that...I know once in a while it simply "doesn't work" with the Mavic rims. Since going to the Stan's rims I feel like Mavics are "nice" but I'd never go back. I know you didn't ask that question. But any answer based on anything Stan's is not going to apply to Mavic rims. Just saying that once in a while, you'll get a tire that simply won't work with the Mavic.

My bad ... misread ED's question ... thought we were talking about Stan's not Mavics.

Fair answer. I know the difference is in the bead seat area. I have examples of both UST and non-ust tires home. If I can see a visible difference in the bead area I'll just spend a little more and get the UST version rather than the cheaper version which may not work at all.
Thanks.

Blackburn1973, I may have confused the issue by mentioning the Stans rims I also have. My bad.

Ignitors work great in non-ust. Never had a problem, been running them for years. If you run them < 20 PSI you'll wear out the sidewall before the tread, but you'll still get great mileage out of them. They last a long time.

I thought that the main difference between UST and Non-UST tires was that UST tires typically have a beefier sidewall.

I have had both UST LUST and non-UST Ignitors and never had issues with them.

I thought that the main difference between UST and Non-UST tires was that UST tires typically have a beefier sidewall.

I believe that is true, but the rim design is also unique. Trying to see from the patent and Mavic's website if it's the deeper channel that the very bottom of the tire bead sits in, or the two raised flanges on the flat of the rim (where your tape would typically go) that is different from a standard rim.

Patent link (if you want to get dorky)
http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?CC=US&NR=6257676&KC=&FT=E&locale=en_EP

From the Mavic site: "UST rim profile with specific humps to fix securely the tyre beads" so I guess it's a little of each.

I have had both UST LUST and non-UST Ignitors and never had issues with them.

You're correct, UST's do have a thicker sidewall. Dave if you like riding rocks I'd go with the UST version. I've never had any issue with both versions but it's reassuring to know I have that extra layer of rubber. You'll wear the treads out before you have any issues with the bead or sidewall failing.

From the patent report, seems like the channel in the middle helps to set the tire sidewall in the bead locks. Thanks for the link, interesting read.

From the patent report, seems like the channel in the middle helps to set the tire sidewall in the bead locks. Thanks for the link, interesting read.

I'm trying to figure exactly what the patent is on. The slight raised channels on the base of the wheels are/have been common on car and motorcycle rims for years, helps keep the tire seated against the bead. Maybe since its bicycle specific and combined with the shape of the bead lock it qualifies.

Glad you joined me in my geeky exercise. ;)

Manny, for a few reasons including yours I'll probably stick with the ust's. If I had them laying around I'd try them, however to order what might not work seems foolish.
Thanks all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom