Another controversial (potentially) topic... pluralizing single items

When the road forks you can take the left fork or the right fork. One fork in the road leads to two forks. One fork on your bike Fox Forx.

Definitely should be handlesbar and teethbrush (unless you’re against dental work long term.)

So coming from the dirt bike world.... I remember Forks being used often because on a dirt bike there is a left and a right and they don't come off the bike together.... typically anyway...... can't say I understand where handlebars came from but I have definitely heard it
I learned those terms from riding bmx in the early 80's which got their terms from the MX world.

It's always been for me:
- a pair of bars (or handlebars) but you have one crossbar (for bars that have them)
- fork or forks - either one. I would say "I got a new pair of forks" or "your fork sounds like it's creaking"
- brakes not brake - although I would say coaster brake
- a pair or set of cranks (even when it was a 1 piece setup)

I have also heard the term front forks and thought that had to do with the rear swing arm that could be named forks as well. If you look at the Manitou frame from the 90's where they used a set of forks as the rear suspension then the front and rear terms definitely can be used.

Aren't there 2 piece handlebars in the motorcycle world where each side is direct mount to the top clamp of the fork?

And after writing all that does it really matter?

They are talking about multiple bikes.

The hightower forks are adjustable from 120-160

Means the fleet of bikes is adjustable..

oh, not serious?

Last edited:
Nothing like life behind bars 🤣🤣 … Unless your locked up in the pen

Attachments

• A97ECC05-3D2A-4953-8463-8CC51C6D0AF0.jpeg
    A97ECC05-3D2A-4953-8463-8CC51C6D0AF0.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 70
When the road forks you can take the left fork or the right fork. One fork in the road leads to two forks. One fork on your bike Fox Forx.

Definitely should be handlesbar and teethbrush (unless you’re against dental work long term.)

When you get to the fork, take it.
-Yogi

Last edited:
When did people start to pluralize handlebars and forks on a bike when there's only one of each on it? I see a lot of bikes for sale and when listing the components they would pluralize the handlebar and fork. For example: "...Raceface Next bars, Fox 34 Performance forks...". Being the smartass that I am I would ask how many bars and forks come with the bike (insert devilish giggle). Who pluralize them also and why? Flame on.
My wife thinks you have too much time on your hands.

Your wife is absolutely right. I'm burning off excess vacation time before I lose it by sitting at home. So before starting another thread I went for a ride. Now I don't care about plural.

speaking of vacation time @serviceguy -

the co can't get any qualified people, so you have to work more?
it is the end of the year, and you worked so much, that you have to forfeit vacation time?

You have what i (and many others) would call leverage.
In your "situation" - from dmv thread - I would lean-in a bit. Not hard, just a bit.
(in a different situation, i'd stick the lever in, and flip them over)
but that isn't the case, and that doesn't really match "you"

I think a gentleman's agreement to take a couple hours here and there to "give back" to the community
as paid would be in your wheelhouse. it gives them a feel good - maybe even chat up HR and see if they could "use" it
to promote the company's get-green outdoor effort.

7 days is 56 hours - that is roughly an hour a week, 4.5/month.
Of course you would still get all your priority work done, and work towards training the new person.
That is a positive position!

we should discuss in-person. My cut is 10% of the trailwork ;)

speaking of vacation time @serviceguy -

the co can't get any qualified people, so you have to work more?
it is the end of the year, and you worked so much, that you have to forfeit vacation time?

You have what i (and many others) would call leverage.
In your "situation" - from dmv thread - I would lean-in a bit. Not hard, just a bit.
(in a different situation, i'd stick the lever in, and flip them over)
but that isn't the case, and that doesn't really match "you"

I think a gentleman's agreement to take a couple hours here and there to "give back" to the community
as paid would be in your wheelhouse. it gives them a feel good - maybe even chat up HR and see if they could "use" it
to promote the company's get-green outdoor effort.

7 days is 56 hours - that is roughly an hour a week, 4.5/month.
Of course you would still get all your priority work done, and work towards training the new person.
That is a positive position!

we should discuss in-person. My cut is 10% of the trailwork ;)
Not in the space/time dimension I work in. But it was a kind natured effort on your side. I appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom