Another controversial (potentially) topic... pluralizing single items

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
When did people start to pluralize handlebars and forks on a bike when there's only one of each on it? I see a lot of bikes for sale and when listing the components they would pluralize the handlebar and fork. For example: "...Raceface Next bars, Fox 34 Performance forks...". Being the smartass that I am I would ask how many bars and forks come with the bike (insert devilish giggle). Who pluralize them also and why? Flame on.

one bar, two handles? handlesbar?

i've got nothing on the fork(s).
I see what you're saying and I tried to use that rational but my OCD points to the fact that there are two grips but only one bar. You put two grips on a handle bar. You don't put two grips on a handlebars.

I see what you're saying and I tried to use that rational but my OCD points to the fact that there are two grips but only one bar. You put two grips on a handle bar. You don't put two grips on a handlebars.
But would you put two grips on a handlesbar?

You have 2 balls and 1 sack, so I think handlebars is ok in this context.

I have never seen "front forks" before. I've just seen it called a fork.

However, I blame the nerds who switch from Math to Maths at some point. Nobody said "maths" when I was in school. Now it's a thing.

What next? Your Moms jokes?

However, I blame the nerds who switch from Math to Maths at some point. Nobody said "maths" when I was in school. Now it's a thing.

I believe that's an everywhere but the US/Canada thing. We're the special snowflakes who don't use the Metric system or Celsius.

2 balls in 1 sack (not sacks) so 2 grips on 1 handlebar. Grips and handlebars are 2 independent components that go together so you can have multiples of one that go on a single one of another like multiple spokes go on 1 wheel.

I believe that's an everywhere but the US/Canada thing. We're the special snowflakes who don't use the Metric system or Celsius.
Truth... about us being snowflakes. We tried to convert to the more logical metric system when I was in college and I had to solve all my problems in both metric and English system. Then at the end they said oh never mind. We're sticking with 212° as the boiling point and 32° as the freezing point for water.

So coming from the dirt bike world.... I remember Forks being used often because on a dirt bike there is a left and a right and they don't come off the bike together.... typically anyway...... can't say I understand where handlebars came from but I have definitely heard it

I dont know. When ever the grips where on my handle bars I change two of them not just one. Forks seals to. I change the right and left side so that makes it a forks in my book.

🙃

Last edited:
Just go to Wawas for a corn beef sandwich and dont sweat stuff like that........
Only if it was that easy. The OCD is strong with this dude. Anyway, I should get ready to go ride. Maybe that'll take my mind off it.

I have never seen "front forks" before. I've just seen it called a fork.

What next? Your Moms jokes?

Europeans, especially the British are to blame for Maths.

Back
Top Bottom