Ankle brace?

PlayAllDay

Ankle seems to be getting worse. Tried simple neoprene braces. Now I'm taping it up. Anyone know of any supportive braces that would work well with biking? :mad2:

NJ Jess

ouch

I know that ankle injury and pain really suck. Hurt mine at Diablo. I would highly reccommend take arnica tablets every 6 hours (5 tablets) during your 24 hour race. Don't know of any brace that would be supportive yet flexible. Look at the football gear at Moodels, they should have something.

Ankle seems to be getting worse. Tried simple neoprene braces. Now I'm taping it up. Anyone know of any supportive braces that would work well with biking? :mad2:

Years ago I sprained my ankle severely a week prior to a big karate tournament, and I was not going to miss the competition, so I purchased an air cast to wear while walking around, and I used a cane (dorky but helpful). It took the pressure off the ankle so it could heal while I went about my day. During the competition I used a brace that had two flexible plastic splints running up the sides, but had no hard materials on the foot, just an elastic "sock" of sorts that wrapped half the foot and cupped the ankle. I found both the air cast and the splinted brace at a medical supply store that specialized in orthopaedic supports.

Nothing you get will make you feel 100%, but stabilizing the joint is key.

You could also try arnica gel, applied topically to the area that is swollen and in pain. Don't use arnica gel and tablets together though, the gel is absorbed transdermally and if you take both you can get more than the recommended dose of arnica. It is a fantastic therapy, though, for musculoskeletal injuries.

If you want to keep following a natural remedy route, also try comfrey gel applied to the injury, and if you can find it, drink a cup of boneset tea each night before bed.

D

DANSPANK

I used ankle braces on my ankles when I was playing basketball back home (Yes,we had a team and we can play!). I bought a couple of lace-up braces from a local sports shop. They were thin enough to comfortably fit within you shoe, over a sock. It would need a little breaking-in so you should look to buy it today and start walking around in it soon.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i was going to say exactly what dan said. i've used one of the lace up deals since college after having four pretty bad right ankle sprains. used it for everything from lacrosse to snowboarding. it does require a break-in period though.

D

DANSPANK

If you need to use one on each ankle then be sure to label them "L" and "R" as they conform around your ankle bones.

PlayAllDay

Thanks Jess, Jersey_Girl_rides, Danspank, & Bonefishjake,
I really appreciate all your advice. I have been using Arnica over my ankle recently, which Jess so kindly left for me to use and I ice it often. Unfortunately this injury occurred in Feb. and hasn't improved a whole lot. Two months of pt helped and it started feeling better until Mt Snow…I just don't want it to get worse so I figured I should look into a decent brace until I see my doc again. I checked some sports stores but they didn't fit well. I'll have to see what I can find tomorrow and just buy something because i don't know if tape is enough for the 24. Thanks again for all your help!! :D

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I'll look at my ankle brace tonight to see if it still has the brand on it.
I used it after my soccer injury to go mt biking. I worked well, it has laces and its kinda soft but firm on the sides. I bought it at Eckerd.

here it is @ Mount Snow :p

P7160030.sized.jpg

but the best way to heal is to stay off it for as long as you can. I didn't do it and 2 years later my ankle still hurts a little, to the point that I can't play soccer anymore :mad2: :mad2: all thanks to not being able to stop mt. biking :getsome:

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
go to dicks or modell's and look. i'm pretty sure that's where i ultimately found mine. i think it's mcdavid.

Thanks Jess, Jersey_Girl_rides, Danspank, & Bonefishjake,
I really appreciate all your advice. I have been using Arnica over my ankle recently, which Jess so kindly left for me to use and I ice it often. Unfortunately this injury occurred in Feb. and hasn't improved a whole lot. Two months of pt helped and it started feeling better until Mt Snow…I just don't want it to get worse so I figured I should look into a decent brace until I see my doc again. I checked some sports stores but they didn't fit well. I'll have to see what I can find tomorrow and just buy something because i don't know if tape is enough for the 24. Thanks again for all your help!! :D

Whoa, injured in February? I thought this was a simple sprain, sounds like you may have a slightly evulsed bone (where the ligament pulls so hard it breaks a small piece of bone away) or a few ankle bones out of place.

What kind of analysis has been done to determine the extent of the injury? I would ask for an MRI, if you've not already had one. It could be something as simple as a bone fragment that needs to be removed, or a ligament or tendon that needs to be reattached via surgery.

PlayAllDay

Thanks again everyone, I'm going to check out the McDavids at Sports Authority on the way home tonight and leave here early. I had xrays of my foot which showed nothing and was told it was a tendon or two by my orthopedic and that it should heal in 8 weeks max. no mri's yet. Went to pt and it got a lot better but not perfect and insurance stopped covering pt. I plan to see my dr again soon but I don't really want more surgery unless i absolutely need it. I already could use rotator cuff surgery which I'm avoiding and already had 2 acl reconstructions in the past, so I'm trying to just deal with it and just rock a brace for now. :rofl:

D

DANSPANK

When I first bought my ankle braces they were quite rigid so didn't feel like they fitted either but the break-in period and systematic lace set-up helps the brace conform to your ankle shape. Unless you get a brace specially made then I don't think any brace offering good support will feel like it fits straight out of the box.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
funny that this came up too b/c i tweaked my ankle a couple weeks back at KVSP and it's been sore since. i'm in need of new cleats soon so i was considering looking into a set of 3/4s. i know specialized used to make them but no idea if they still do. if not, well, i'll be ankle brace boy.

PlayAllDay

So...I tried out my new lace up brace before work at Wawayanda today and it seems to give me a lot of needed support. Still hurts obviously and feels like I might need even more support. But, it's better than what I've been using. Now if this rain would just go away for the weekend...

Top Bottom