Allaire Conditions

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rode Brisbane this morning--trails are C-, C at best. My time logged was 2:15, only 0:45 of that was moving--I spent the rest of the time clearing deadfall/lopping smaller branches that overhung the trail. The good news: most of the outer parts of the trails are clear enough to ride...the bad news: the stuff I couldn't clear were all either 7 feet in the air, or 6+ inches in diameter, and hip high at best.

The large tree that was down between the disc-golf area/18, across the fire road, is now only knee high after some judicious cutting of branches. The two pines that were down near the courtyard climb are cleared away from the trail. I denuded the large split pine here

View attachment 137721

but someone who has a nice chainsaw (@Mitch :* :* ) will have to cut out the trees. I suppose a log over would be possible, but it would also be a ton of work, considering the one trunk is sitting 6 inches off the ground. ~3/4 of the way around the perimeter fire road (clockwise), there is a large oak top that is blocking 95% of the fireroad.

On an unrelated note: there is so much deadfall on the ground, it would be prudent not to bring your derailleur bike with you. I mangled my XTR derailleur, and replacements aren't available until the end of October (Q.Q). Y'all have been warned.
Thanks for the heads up. I normally avoid Brisbane till all the Chiggers freeze to death. Its so overgrown on the 195 climb that by the time to climb the hill your legs are itchy. There are a few other peeps who do some work there, I will reach out.. Thanks again,

w_b

Rode Brisbane this morning--trails are C-, C at best. My time logged was 2:15, only 0:45 of that was moving--I spent the rest of the time clearing deadfall/lopping smaller branches that overhung the trail. The good news: most of the outer parts of the trails are clear enough to ride...the bad news: the stuff I couldn't clear were all either 7 feet in the air, or 6+ inches in diameter, and hip high at best.

Some nice stuff back there!

EJphotos

Tree down, blue trail, close to orange trail on Allenwood rd side. About 7 inches diameter. If I had a hacksaw with me I could have cut it.
20200823_090043-3024x2268.jpg

jklett

How do I need to clean my cycling shoes to avoid getting chiggers on my next ride? Serious question after our parking lot discussion.
Spray them with permethrin and let it dry. Hell, you could probably use any insect repellent and it'd work to make sure there aren't any hanging out in the shoes. They aren't going to make them their new home.

02camaro

i guess im lucky, but ive only gotten chiggers once from allaire and i ride there once or twice a week. i dont put on bug spray at all, ever, anywhere. i hardly ever even get any ticks

stay on well ridden trails, stay out of brisbane, dont go over to the WMA, dont ride off the trails in grass/weeds you will be fine. dont over think it.

jklett

i guess im lucky, but ive only gotten chiggers once from allaire and i ride there once or twice a week. i dont put on bug spray at all, ever, anywhere. i hardly ever even get any ticks

stay on well ridden trails, stay out of brisbane, dont go over to the WMA, dont ride off the trails in grass/weeds you will be fine. dont over think it.
Happy birthday!

Good advice there, only time I've ever gotten chiggers was from walking through tall grass in the summer.

onetracker

I got clobbered a few years back which is why I typically stay north in the summer. I took Mitch’s advice and did not stay in my cycling kit for long. I also cleaned my feet and legs with Witch Hazel before I drove home. Those bas*ards can be vicious. Already had a run-in with bees this week. Did not want to add chiggers or sand fleas to the mix; thus the reason for slight paranoia.

GreenMachine

Conditions outstanding especially across the street as well & jump area.

Chigger solution; see poison ivy thread

Helmetless riders galore - amazing

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions