A gypsy and her list obsession

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That's a pretty sick list. Please post reviews as you go... I've only hit a fraction of these.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Above I posted my favorite list! Riding park, specifically jumping my bike makes me the happiest! Having summers off definitely makes completing this list easier. But I only got to two ‘new’ parks this summer. So, I’m heading out to Mt Hood tomorrow to ride both SkiBowl and Timberline. I won’t have time to make it down to Mt Bachelor. I have ridden many trails in Bend, but Mt Bachelor will have to wait for a different trip.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
As I think of them, I’m going to start writing down my thoughts (memories) of each place I’ve ridden, so 10 years from now when my memory is even foggier I’ll know where to return.

I guess I need a rating system. 1-10. 1 (Whistler) will be the most awesome place on earth for now. Creek is a 2, because Creek truly is special due to its tech (and I just may be biased). Yes, yes, there is a HUGE difference between Whistler and Creek!! But my ratings will be based on ‘return worthiness’. A 10 means I don’t need to go back, ever. It's hard to rate size, technical ability, fun factor, accessibility, surrounding area and scenic impressiveness all in one. Plus, a slow lift really gets under my skin. So, my ratings may be off because one of the factors could be so awesome or horrible it offsets the rest.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My original intent was to write here a few times a week. But I went back to work September 1 which threw me a curve ball. It was the first time I physically left the house and went to work since March 2020. Unlike many, I was very happy about going back! I enjoy most people and hate being confined to my house. My return to work also coincided with Ida and the flooding of NJ. Now, two weeks later and I’m finally settling into a routine.

I’m taking the advice of @w_b and Whistler is a 10!

At the end of August, I did a three-day trip to Oregon. Since time was so limited, I had to choose only one area to visit. Back in 2016 I raced the High Cascades 100 in Bend, Oregon. That riding was for a race, so my memory is skewed from adrenaline and exhaustion, but if memory serves me correct, Bend is probably the ‘better’ riding in the state.

This recent trip I wanted to ride something new and to cross some places off my lists, so I headed to Mt Hood. It was absolutely beautiful! So lovely to be back in the Pacific NorthWest (my soul home). Portland is a shithole filled with homeless and heroin, so getting out of the city ASAP was a priority. I landed and immediately drove to Government Camp (Mt Hood). I met two PA friends who were out there doing a 14-day tour of Oregon.

I found a very cheap VBRO in Government Camp directly across the street from SkiBowl Bike Park. The town also has a bike shuttle to Timberline Bike Park and the Sandy and Rhododendron Trail heads, so it was quite perfect for my needs.

IMG_3937.jpg

Park reviews to follow.

dingo369

The Timberline to Town is a must do shuttle,best $2 bucks spent. The Timberline lodge is very impressive [The Shinning ] for those that don't know.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That is about the 10th person who mentioned the Timberline Lodge and The Shining. Unfortunately we never saw it. The Timberline to Town was an awesome run!

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well, I fell off the face the earth sereval times this winter, but managed to climb back on. Double hand surgery forced me off the bike for 4 months. And since I couldn't ride, I abondonded all social media or anything that would remind me of riding.

But I'm back on the bike! Back to my lists. And back to traveling!

I'm heading to St George, Utah on Saturday. If anyone has any specifc 'do-not-miss' trails or breweries or restaurants in the St George area, please share.

JDurk

Well, I fell off the face the earth sereval times this winter, but managed to climb back on. Double hand surgery forced me off the bike for 4 months. And since I couldn't ride, I abondonded all social media or anything that would remind me of riding.

But I'm back on the bike! Back to my lists. And back to traveling!

I'm heading to St George, Utah on Saturday. If anyone has any specifc 'do-not-miss' trails or breweries or restaurants in the St George area, please share.
Good to hear. I've been off the bike for 4mos as well, but surgery on 1 hand only. I'm getting on the bike this weekend.

Last edited:

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have been finished with work for three weeks and already bored out of my mind. I've done such little mountain biking this year, that I'm inspired to use an old list I made years ago. These are places to ride within 3 hours of my house that are worth riding (according to Trailforks). Over the last 15 years I've ridden most. So I'm going to see how many I can ride by the end of 2022. I have a long way to go, only 7 places so far this year.

NEW JERSEY
Allaire, NJ
Allamuchy, NJ
Alpine, NJ
Baldpate, NJ
Berchire Valley WMA, NJ
Black Run Preserve, NJ
Bog Trails/Seaview, NJ
Breden T Byrne, NJ
Camden CC, NJ
Chimney Rock, NJ
Deer Park, NJ
Dickerson Mine, NJ
Duke Island, NJ
Eagle Rock Reservation, NJ
Frenchtown Preserve, NJ
Hartshorn, NJ
High Mountian, NJ
Holland Highlnads, NJ
Horseshoe Bend Park, NJ
Jungle Habitat, NJ
Kresson Trails, NJ
KSVP, NJ
Lewis Morris, NJ
Mahlon Dickerson, NJ
Mercer, NJ
Mountain Creek, NJ
Nassau, NJ
Ramapo, NJ
Readington Rec, NJ
Ringwood, NJ
Round Valley, NJ
Rutgers Ecological, NJ
Six Mile, NJ
Sourland, NJ
South Mountain, NJ
Stephens, NJ
Tourne, NJ
Water Co, NJ
Wayway, NJ
West Essex Trails, NJ
Wharton, NJ
Wildcat, NJ
PENNSYLVANIA
Bear Creek, PA
Birdsboro Preserve, PA
Blue Marsh, PA
Blue Mountain, PA
Core Creek, NJ
Evansburg, PA
French Creek, PA
Geisingner, PA
Glen Park, PA
Governor Dicks, PA
Green Lane, PA
Harmony Hill, PA
Hershey Medical, PA
High Rocks/Stover, PA
Jacobsburg, PA
Jim Thorp, PA
Jordan Pwy, PA
Lackawannna, PA
Lehigh, PA
Marsh Creek, PA
Merli-Sannoski, PA
Michaeux, PA
Moon Lake State Forest, PA
Moosic, PA
Mt Penn, PA
Neshaminy, NJ
Nockamixon, PA
Pennypack, PA
Port Jervis, PA
Promised Land, PA
Prompton State Park, PA
Roaring Creek, PA
Rocky Ridge, PA
Salisbury, PA
South Mountain, PA
Spring Mountain, PA
Swatara State Park, PA
Trexler, PA
Weiser State Park, PA
WERP, PA
Winter State Park, PA
Wiss/Belmont, PA
NY, DE and MD and beyond
Bacon Ridge, MD
Big Gunpowder, MD
Blue Mountain, NY
Brandy Wine, DE
Endless Brrok Trail, Vt
Fair Hill, MD
Fredereick Water Shed
Graham Hills, NY
Highland, NJ
Hudson Highlands, NY
Iron Hill Park, DE
Judge Morris, DE
Little Gunpowder, MD
Lippman Park, NY
Loch Raven, MD
Middle Run/White Clay, DE
Mount Peg Trails, Vt
Patapsco, MD
Platekill, NY
Rocky Point, NY
Powder Ridge, Ct
Sprain, NY
Sterling, NY
Stewart, NY
Susquehana, MD
Taconic, NY
Thunder, MA
Tunnel Ridge Trail, Vt
Windham, NY
Vietnam Trails, MA
Whistler Canada

I made this list several years ago so it may be outdated. If you know of a place that I should add (or remove) please chime in.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have been finished with work for three weeks and already bored out of my mind. I've done such little mountain biking this year, that I'm inspired to use an old list I made years ago. These are places to ride within 3 hours of my house that are worth riding (according to Trailforks). Over the last 15 years I've ridden most. So I'm going to see how many I can ride by the end of 2022. I have a long way to go, only 7 places so far this year.

NEW JERSEY
Frenchtown Preserve, NJ
Allaire, NJ
Allamuchy, NJ
Alpine, NJ
Baldpate, NJ
Berchire Valley WMA, NJ
Black Run Preserve, NJ
Bog Trails/Seaview, NJ
Breden T Byrne, NJ
Camden CC, NJ
Chimney Rock, NJ
Core Creek, NJ
Deer Park, NJ
Dickerson Mine, NJ
Duke Island, NJ
Eagle Rock Reservation, NJ
Hartshorn, NJ
High Mountian, NJ
Jungle Habitat, NJ
Kresson Trails, NJ
KSVP, NJ
Lewis Morris, NJ
Mahlon Dickerson, NJ
Mercer, NJ
Mountain Creek, NJ
Nassau, NJ
Neshaminy, NJ
Ramapo, NJ
Readington Rec, NJ
Ringwood, NJ
Round Valley, NJ
Rutgers Ecological, NJ
Six Mile, NJ
Sourland, NJ
Stevens, NJ
Tourne, NJ
Water Co, NJ
Wayway, NJ
West Essex Trails, NJ
Wharton, NJ
PENNSYLVANIA
Bear Creek, PA
Birdsboro Preserve, PA
Blue Marsh, PA
Blue Mountain, PA
Evansburg, PA
French Creek, PA
Geisingner, PA
Glen Park, PA
Governor Dicks, PA
Green Lane, PA
Harmony Hill, PA
Hershey Medical, PA
High Rocks/Stover, PA
Jacobsburg, PA
Jim Thorp, PA
Jordan Pwy, PA
Lackawannna, PA
Lehigh, PA
Marsh Creek, PA
Merli-Sannoski, PA
Michaeux, PA
Moon Lake State Forest, PA
Moosic, PA
Mt Penn, PA
Nockamixon, PA
Pennypack, PA
Port Jervis, PA
Promised Land, PA
Prompton State Park, PA
Roaring Creek, PA
Rocky Ridge, PA
Salisbury, PA
South Mountain, PA
Spring Mountain, PA
Swatara State Park, PA
Trexler, PA
Weiser State Park, PA
WERP, PA
Winter State Park, PA
Wiss/Belmont, PA
NY, DE and MD and beyond
Bacon Ridge, MD
Big Gunpowder, MD
Blue Mountain, NY
Brandy Wine, DE
Fair Hill, MD
Fredereick Water Shed
Graham Hills, NY
Hudson Highlands, NY
Judge Morris, DE
Little Gunpowder, MD
Lippman Park, NY
Loch Raven, MD
Middle Run, DE
Patapsco, MD
Platekill, NY
Rocky Point, NY
Sprain, NY
Sterling, NY
Stewart, NY
Susquehana, MD
Taconic, NY
White Clay, DE
Windham, NY
Vietnam Trails, MA

I made this list several years ago so it may be outdated. If you know of a place that I should add (or remove) please chime in.
Neshaminy NJ 😂

JDurk

Middle Run/White Clay in DE are basically the same trail system. Add Iron Hill Park, also in DE to your list. Unless you're driving to another SJ location in Camden or Gloucester Co., in my opinion, Kresson isn't worth a stop.

Robin

Holland Highlands and Wildcat in NJ...

You can hit Hopewell Trails the same trip as Geisinger.

Reading PA...

I don't see Thunder or Highland on there!!!!!

Top Bottom