A gypsy and her list obsession

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Have you already ridden Vietnam? I assume that was a park of opportunity?

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I love the idea of this list!

On the PA list - a few notes/updates:

Evansburg Trails are complete trash. Not worth the drive even for me and I'm only about 10 miles away - barely six miles of "rideable" trails that haven't been mantained in years (so there are a few areas that have just collapsed into a creek.) Evansburg Park is a nice road ride area but it's like a steaming pile of cold meatloaf poo for MTB.

Spring Mountain is only ridden by a few locals now - the old DH features are more or less destroyed and the XC trails only work if they are ridden frequently (which they're not really) - a few sections are covered in poison ivy. Total mileage is low, but if it does get cleared up, it's a nice trail to add to a trip to Green Lane since it's only five miles south on the Perkiomen Trail.

Jacobsburg is tiny. I haven't been there in years but from folks I know they haven't done a lot to improve it since way back.

Wiss/Belmont is great but it's a big day if you hit it all at once (about 40-50 miles at this point.) Wiss along has 30+ miles now, and Belmont another 15-20 depending on whether you want to double back to hit all the middle stuff. Doing each one individually is enough, but if you are looking to knock them off your list, hitting them both ont he same day is ideal since they're so close to one another. Also, a good idea to have a guide for Belmont - can be tough to know where to start and how to navigate - it's like riding in an Escher house out there in spots. Most folks ride in from Manayunk to avoid a break-in at the parking area for the plateau (there's probably like a greater than 75% chance you're going to suffer a break-in parking in a lot anywhere at Fairmount.) Oh - and if and when you do Belmont, make sure your "log over" game is on-point. There are a *few* of them there.

Other potential park combos:

French Creek and Birdsboro Preserve. There is literally a singletrack trail that connects them.
Blue Marsh and Mount Penn. Would be a big day, with lots of climbing, but they are close to one another - you can use the Union Canal Trail from Blue Marsh to get to Reading (it also connects to the SRT, which goes all the way to Philly.)
High Rocks/Stover and Nocamixon. Just be careful crossing 611. They're maybe 5 or 6 miles apart.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Have you already ridden Vietnam? I assume that was a park of opportunity?
Yes, I went there in April. I really enjoyed it! I liked it enough that I would go back. I was by myself and following a route I found on Trailforks....so a lot of uncertainty and stopping. I imagine it would be great following someone who is familiar with the place.
I was told that it used to be a crappy network of hiking trails. A few years back, NEMBA took it over and re-built all the trails with mountain biking in mind. Lots of rock and tech, with a few tables, step ups, etc built into the trails. Imagine if Wayway was built by mountain bikers instead of hikers. The only thing I didn't like was several water/mud crossings, but I'm guessing those could have been avoided if I had a better route. I got up there at 3:30pm on a Saturday and the parking lot was still full. I would recommend it if you are ever in the area.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yes, I went there in April. I really enjoyed it! I liked it enough that I would go back. I was by myself and following a route I found on Trailforks....so a lot of uncertainty and stopping. I imagine it would be great following someone who is familiar with the place.
I was told that it used to be a crappy network of hiking trails. A few years back, NEMBA took it over and re-built all the trails with mountain biking in mind. Lots of rock and tech, with a few tables, step ups, etc built into the trails. Imagine if Wayway was built by mountain bikers instead of hikers. The only thing I didn't like was several water/mud crossings, but I'm guessing those could have been avoided if I had a better route. I got up there at 3:30pm on a Saturday and the parking lot was still full. I would recommend it if you are ever in the area.

My work HQ is a few miles away so I stay in a hotel I can ride from and be on the trails in about 3 minutes. I’ve ridden there 4-5 times and I still haven’t figured it out. It’s a spiderweb of assorted trails. I watched a BKXC video about it 2 weeks ago and the route he took seemed awesome. I need to find it.

What loop did you follow?

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Imagine if Wayway was built by mountain bikers instead of hikers.

My understanding is that all of the good trails at Waway were built by mountain bikers...or a mountain biker in some cases.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My understanding is that all of the good trails at Waway were built by mountain bikers...or a mountain biker in some cases.

NEMBA actually bought the Vietnam property in Milford so it’s a different ballgame really. It’s not fair to compare the 2.

johnbryanpeters

The trails in 'Nam started out as motorcycle trails. NEMBA bought the property decades ago.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Maybe so. but there are several trails at Wayway I have difficulty hiking (or riding) my bike on.......never had to get off my bike at the 'Nam trails.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My work HQ is a few miles away so I stay in a hotel I can ride from and be on the trails in about 3 minutes. I’ve ridden there 4-5 times and I still haven’t figured it out. It’s a spiderweb of assorted trails. I watched a BKXC video about it 2 weeks ago and the route he took seemed awesome. I need to find it.

What loop did you follow?
https://www.trailforks.com/route/vietnam-hall-of-fame/

The route is only 8miles and doesn't cover all the trails.

Robin

Screenshot_20220608-044614.png

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
oh i know what you are talking about! I'll ask jonny g if they are still clearing those. last time I went they were unridable.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I turned 50 yrs three weeks ago, and just like that I'm old AF! Didn't help that I was off the bike all winter with dual hand surgeries. I used to be able to ride for hours and hours, thriving on 6hr races, and now I'm tired after 1.5 hrs. :(

Back in Oct, I inquired to my LBS about an enduro e-bike. This was pre-surgery, when I still had hopes of one day racing enduro again. I wanted to use the e-bike as a "shuttle" for places like Glen Park, Spring Mt, Mt Penn, etc, so I could get in solid DH runs without exhausting myself on the climbs. (Climbing has never been my strong trait.) The shop sorta chuckled and told me it would be a year. To my surprise, they called me last week and said "we have a bike for you!"

When I lived in Seattle, and coached the student league, all the 'older' guys bought e-bikes so they could keep up with the fast kids. I thought, shoot-me when I get to that point. Well, I guess shoot-me, because I became one of those old guys today. (I will remove the plastic cog protector.)
IMG_5657.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I turned 50 yrs three weeks ago, and just like that I'm old AF! Didn't help that I was off the bike all winter with dual hand surgeries. I used to be able to ride for hours and hours, thriving on 6hr races, and now I'm tired after 1.5 hrs. :(

Back in Oct, I inquired to my LBS about an enduro e-bike. This was pre-surgery, when I still had hopes of one day racing enduro again. I wanted to use the e-bike as a "shuttle" for places like Glen Park, Spring Mt, Mt Penn, etc, so I could get in solid DH runs without exhausting myself on the climbs. (Climbing has never been my strong trait.) The shop sorta chuckled and told me it would be a year. To my surprise, they called me last week and said "we have a bike for you!"

When I lived in Seattle, and coached the student league, all the 'older' guys bought e-bikes so they could keep up with the fast kids. I thought, shoot-me when I get to that point. Well, I guess shoot-me, because I became one of those old guys today. (I will remove the plastic cog protector.)
View attachment 186350
Patty has an ebike wink wink
Welcome to the old AF club!

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I did a little mini Vermont trip last week. Is there a 'Riding in Vermont' section on this forum?
I have debilitating tendinitis so I'm doing more XC riding than I would prefer to. Lifting my front wheel at a DH park makes me almost want to throw up in pain.

Day 1 - Tunnel Ridge

Very cool DH trail built by LD Trailworks. We climbed up and rode down the same trail. Hopefuly in time that will be changed. Honestly it was fun in either direction. I appreciate folks that build real climbing trails, but I think this was meant as a DH. Looking forward to following these buidlers to see what they do.

There were two scenic look-outs but we blew right by both. Second pic is the best view shot I got
IMG_5721 (1).jpg

IMG_5723 (1).jpg

After the Tunnel Ridge trail we went and did the Sap Boilier loop. It was not machine built like Tunnel Ridge, but was a nicely built older loop.

Day 2 - Killington - tendinitis was so bad that all I could do was stand and hold on.
IMG_4953..JPG

Day 3 - Woodstock Vt. Mount Peg trials. I liked the terrain a lot. There were several double tract connectors, but that would be my biggest complaint. I felt there was some variety. The climbs weren;t stupid steep and the DH were fun. Plus, there were some very cool stone art projects at the parks. We were since informed that the Ascutney Trial system was what we should have ridden.

From town we went to Eshqua Bog to see the bloooming Lady Slippers. After that we went to WhistlePig Distillery to buy some Whiskey.
IMG_4980.jpg

IMG_5737.jpg

The last day, on the way home, we rode some 'Slate Valley trails'. I guess that is what they are called by the locals. According to Trialforks it was called the Endless Brook Trials.

Day 4 - Endless Brook Trails. I had a good ride but I feel like I did one too many down/ups. The trail that I would cut out is called Hardy's Hill uphill. It was IMO boring and open to the sun, I loved Rocky Ridge as a DH trail.

Attachments

• IMG_5723 (1).jpg
    IMG_5723 (1).jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5723 (1).jpg
    IMG_5723 (1).jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_5721 (1).jpg
    IMG_5721 (1).jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 79
Top Bottom