7/8 - Darkhorse Gallop

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Hot time in Newburgh. You know it's gonna be interesting when you're sweating profusely just standing in the parking lot getting ready.

Rode 2/3 of the loop to "warm up", got everything together, went to the line. Only 3 guys not on 29ers in SS Expert, me being one of them.:hmmm:

Typically crappy start from me, followed by a broken bottle cage and the resultant ejection of my bottle of Accelerade, leaving me with only the water in my Camelbak for 2 hours of racing. Splendid.

Settled into my pace, mixed it up with some geared guys, ran out of water at the beginning of lap #4 and rolled in, 8th out of 14.

First race with UST tires (Stans conversion of Mavic 517s) and Ergon grips, top marks to both. Thanks to JDog for taking the time on Friday to set me up.

This is certainly one of the most fun race courses I've ever done.

Watching Harlan Price ride up the entire shale face was damned impressive, I might add.

Maurice

Fred get well. I know the dip you're talking about, I was trying to down a gel in one of the laps and hit it one-handed.
Good thing you kept your cool, no matter who does what none of the 'contestants' end up being right, and it gives such a negative image... I've been stomped, elbowed, forced out of the trail etc. but in the end it's never a big deal. And I'm sure I've made many a cavalier move but the fact is when you attempt something, sometimes you think there's plenty of room then things change and you end up looking like a jackass... Point is it's great that you took it easy.

As for my own performance, I've tried to find excuses but really can't, my riding is sucking bad these days. It was like I had the brakes on. The climbing, as little as there was, was awful, which is where I usually excel... Oh well, more races to come.

Great job Ellen, Chris and all the lurkers ;)

Maurice

Glancing Aft

I saw what seemed to be a lot more photographers out there than at most races, anyone know if they are sending us proofs in the mail or if they are up online somewhere?

Sorry to hear about everyone's misfortunes yesterday, and I hope you feel better soon Fred. I myself am starting to have doubts with this racing thing since I keep seeming to just miss the top 10 in my bracket (11th, Sport 19-29). Oh well, at least I'm consistent at sucking.

ArmyOfNone

Id be damn pleased with a finish like that brotha. Keep up the good work and you will be where you want shortly.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
JURGEN BENEKE!!! in pro xc?!? wow. pretty cool.

and good job everyone else! seems like all the names where out for this race.

ArmyOfNone

i wish i would have stayed. i really would have loved to see these guys ride. But it was just to much to bear, watching everyone else in the heat of things. ARG!!

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Wow, you must have been smoking to be able to have Harlan in sight.
...or he might have been lapping me as I slogged up that thing for the 4th time...

I'll gladly stick with your version of the story, Pixy.:D

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
JURGEN BENEKE!!! in pro xc?!? wow. pretty cool.

We meet & rode with Jurgen & his wife in 04 in Grand Junction Colorado. Very nice couple, they actually asked if they could ride with us. We didn't know who is was until after the ride. Boy could he ride, up & down, & his wife was pretty awesome too.

Last edited:

xc62701

I'll give my recap. I hammered the first two laps really well and had the most fun I've had on my bike this year. Then the cramps set in and the remaining two laps were aweful! At one point I was in 3rd, had a couple slip by while trying to work through cramps and then the legs locked pretty solidly and I lost a few more spots. Finished 9th of 12 that finished in expert 19-29. Still was a great day but I needed more fluids than I could get down. It was definitely not a day for bottles. I've learned my lesson...

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Jurgen and Stacey Benege are locals in the Steweart area. I think Jurgen took a few years off to have some surgery. He seems to be making a come back and is racking up some UCI points in the world cup gravity events. Great to see them out racing. Yes cool to do both Xc and gravity.

Last edited:

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Still was a great day but I needed more fluids than I could get down. It was definitely not a day for bottles. I've learned my lesson...

I'm with you on that one. There are just some courses or days when bottles will not hydrate you. Williams Lake is another. There is just too much going on to get your hands off the bar enough. I find reaching for the tube easier. The key with packs is finding one that is comfortable. :confused: Good job toughing it out to the finish.

Top Bottom