6 Mile Run Conditions

ekuhn

The only knock is some leaf/acorn/walnut/trimmings from TM make a few corners alittle sketchy at speed.

I'll take that as a thank you, therefore you're welcome. Last time out we didn't rattle the acorns outta the trees, so that's on Mama Nature.

@WJF has had some folks ask about raking the trails clean post trimming, but no one has volunteered. Maybe that'll be the next big Jorba push...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I'll take that as a thank you, therefore you're welcome. Last time out we didn't rattle the acorns outta the trees, so that's on Mama Nature.

@WJF has had some folks ask about raking the trails clean post trimming, but no one has volunteered. Maybe that'll be the next big Jorba push...
Thanks if you are one of the people doing the work. Minor adjustments in technique of trimming and you won’t have to rake after it is done. It takes a tad bit longer but the trail is clear afterwards. Basically, cut away from the trail, taking the trimmings with you and make sure blade is clear before pulling back across.
I started trimming this year with battery hedge trimmers and have played with the technique and got it down. Can be applied with a weed whacker also

Reactions: TAS

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Did some digging this am. The water is likely over the cement bridge based on how high I saw the water level.

The soil is strangely still super dry. No saturation yet.
I’m thinking things should be good by fri.

J

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Did some digging this am. The water is likely over the cement bridge based on how high I saw the water level.

The soil is strangely still super dry. No saturation yet.
I’m thinking things should be good by fri.

J
I was there yesterday morning, well before the rain, and the water was over the "27 side" of the bridge. Thought it was odd. probably a body stuck under there or something.

jerzey111

wife and I were there on Saturday and water was almost over the concrete bridge. we cleared out 2 openings and got both sides to almost equalize. something is needed there. maybe netting formed into a point to push debris to the side??? no idea how these things are solved
photo_2019-10-17_20-01-21.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
wife and I were there on Saturday and water was almost over the concrete bridge. we cleared out 2 openings and got both sides to almost equalize. something is needed there. maybe netting formed into a point to push debris to the side??? no idea how these things are solved
View attachment 108366
quick search and found this.

easier to clean them out because the tubes aren't that long. if it was something where it disappeared, there would def be a catch
to keep it from clogging.

WE just need to keep on top of it. which might mean just taking a minute to grab a branch or two. no need to spend an hour there, just a few minutes
from each would get it done.

grampaaah2

Does anyone have a spare rake, pry bar, shovel or something we can leave down by the concrete bridge?

I usually try and clear the tubes at least a couple of times month but it is usually by hand while taking a breather. If we can leave something down there like behind a tree I can get a lot more done.

Also if anyone is down for taking like an hour or so one morning with me I think we could make a huge difference there. I parked right by that house this summer and with just a couple of tools cleared up a lot of it. 2-3 people and an hour I think we could have it 100% clear

jklett

Does anyone have a spare rake, pry bar, shovel or something we can leave down by the concrete bridge?

I usually try and clear the tubes at least a couple of times month but it is usually by hand while taking a breather. If we can leave something down there like behind a tree I can get a lot more done.

Also if anyone is down for taking like an hour or so one morning with me I think we could make a huge difference there. I parked right by that house this summer and with just a couple of tools cleared up a lot of it. 2-3 people and an hour I think we could have it 100% clear
I've got a rake I could donate, just have to get a chance to get it there.

JonFern

Formerly: send jon ferns

When are you thinking? I should have a spare rake or a shovel. I’m at six mile run 2-3 times a week

ekuhn

Beautiful fall morning and conditions.

I cleared some branches out of the bridge today, and got some of the water flowing. 27 side of bridge wasn’t under water as posted a few days ago, was easily rideable.

Saw two hunters out today and spooked them pretty good coming around a corner. Weren’t expecting me and I wasn’t expecting them to be walking the trail.

Grampaaah

Was able to clear out 4 of tubes and remove some large stuck branches. Water level dropped substantially, Took about an hour with a gravel style rack. Left as the rain started getting going

I think maybe an hour with 1 or 2 people we could have the bridge completely clear.

Way to many people out today in the rain without helmets

Attachments

• 20191020_105655.jpg
    20191020_105655.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 20191020_113450.jpg
    20191020_113450.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 183
  • 20191020_113520.jpg
    20191020_113520.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 182

ekuhn

Was able to clear out 4 of tubes and remove some large stuck branches. Water level dropped substantially, Took about an hour with a gravel style rack. Left as the rain started getting going

I think maybe an hour with 1 or 2 people we could have the bridge completely clear.

Perfect time for @jdog to drive that ditch witch in and doze that debris up and out.

Great work @Grampaaah!

Patrick

Staff member

Thank You!!!

did you go in with waders? or just work from the bridge?

grampaaah2

worked just from on top of the bridge. It probably would have been helpful to be able to get in the water. I think maybe next time I am going to try and bring a really long crow bar to help motivate a few of the branches that are lodged in the tubes.

Can anyone confirm if this access is allowed (see pic below)? I parked here at the end of April Lane and for the 1st time I saw someone at the house (I thought it was owned by the park or something) I tried to ask the person as they drove away from the house if it was ok to access the trail but the didn't slow down. Figuring it is best not to upset anyone I parked at the spot of the S Middlebush crossing
1571752233001.png

Patrick

Staff member
worked just from on top of the bridge. It probably would have been helpful to be able to get in the water. I think maybe next time I am going to try and bring a really long crow bar to help motivate a few of the branches that are lodged in the tubes.

Can anyone confirm if this access is allowed (see pic below)? I parked here at the end of April Lane and for the 1st time I saw someone at the house (I thought it was owned by the park or something) I tried to ask the person as they drove away from the house if it was ok to access the trail but the didn't slow down. Figuring it is best not to upset anyone I parked at the spot of the S Middlebush crossing
View attachment 108754

i've been going in that way forever - and it is probably a park employee living there at a discount, so they don't want to talk to anyone!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions