5 dead, 4 injured - be careful out there!

JoeLee

This is my worst nightmare as far as all the commuting I do. You just can't protect yourself from everything.

http://s.mlive.com/QwUuXaE

-ca83de0754a2fa74.JPG

Unfortunately there's nothing you could do to avoid an accident like this. Sucks. And is sad. What's sadder is that the guy will walk away scott free.

I read some of the responses below a local article on this and that is even more sickening.

The outcry over the recent shooting of a caged gorilla is certain to overshadow this event.

Sad state of our society.

These were mothers, sisters, fathers and brothers. Good people by all accounts, yet because they were on the road and in spandex, many feel they deserved to die.

This is a sad story, but if there's no justice in the end then our system is truly broken. Like Jim I have little hope, look at the Stanford case or that kid in Texas that had "affluenza". As bad as it sounds, I hope this guy was obliterated on something because that's probably the only way he'll be locked up.

My heart goes out to the family, friends, and community.

Terrible story. And Jay makes a great point - a stupid gorilla gets shot and it's a national story for over a week, 5 cyclists get slaughtered by a drunk driver and it barely makes it past local news.

As others said this is a roadie's worst nightmare - I like to think that wearing bright colored jersies and lighting up my bike like a Christmas tree makes me safe but the reality is if a drunk driver or some kid staring at his phone comes your way, it doesn't make a difference. If wifey reads this story she's gonna want to toss my road bike into a dumpster.

These stories are always tough to read, and even tougher to read the comments that follow. Like @jdog said, the gorilla got more attention that nine HUMAN BEINGS. The people that post the comments must not have had any toys when they were kids. Or friends. Or parents. Sounds like this guy will be prosecuted fully, hopefully they throw the book at him.

Of all the defensive things we, as cyclists can do to protect ourselves, there's no protection from this.

Be safe out there.....

If wifey reads this story she's gonna want to toss my road bike into a dumpster.

About a month I started do group rides on the road to alleviate the anxiety my wife was feeling when I was on the road, assuring her group rides were significantly safer. She prefers I stay in the woods.

I tell my wife I am going out for a ride. I don't specify road or trail unless she asks.

About a month I started do group rides on the road to alleviate the anxiety my wife was feeling when I was on the road, assuring her group rides were significantly safer. She prefers I stay in the woods.

I tell my wife I am going out for a ride. I don't specify road or trail unless she asks.

I promised wifey when I got a new mountain bike that I'd spend more time in the woods, less on the road and I'm holding to it. Will never give up road riding completely but I look forward to retiring in a few months and at least I won't be on the roads during rush hour any more.

Very sad, i saw this on CNN Twitter feed the night it happened, so I am not sure I isn't making national news, it is simply a fact that people don't give a crap about bikes, or pretty much anyone outside their little world. We already know this.

There is only so Much you can do, we ride right beside/in/faster than traffic and we assume and Inherant risk when doing so. You can't control this, so pray (or whatever it is you do) for the people that haven't been as lucky as you have and hope it doesn't happen to you. Whatever you do, dont fear what you can't control enough to keep you from things you love.

This is a big reason I only recently started riding road. This scares the shit out of me. So many things moving that could kill me on the road, at least in he woods the trees stay still. If I hit one it's 100% my fault.

Is it also weird that I feel safer riding in NYC than I do a lot of other places if I do have to ride road? I feel like drivers are so use to seeing cyclist and I feel like traffic is always so slow it's easier to predict driver actions.

this is why road riding has lost its luster to me, being older is a big part, but I never feel like I did as a teen, when I was all over central/northern Jersey on a road bike, thank goodness mtb found me a few years ago

Just to balance the scales a little I want you all to know I knew nothing about the gorilla, but I heard about this bicycle catastrophe from multiple sources. Its probably just a matter of what circles you travel in.

Despite what many people unfamiliar with mountain biking may think, I think it is safer than being on the road. In my life, I have sustained much worse injuries on the road, than in the woods. Big steel moving at speed doesn't forgive and the pavement loves to remove skin. My last notable bike related injuries were from a crash on the road. And I probably ride 50X more often in the woods vs. road.

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Please tell my wife this is true should you ever meet her and she asks.

Is it also weird that I feel safer riding in NYC than I do a lot of other places if I do have to ride road? I feel like drivers are so use to seeing cyclist and I feel like traffic is always so slow it's easier to predict driver actions.

I feel a bit of this as well, but I'm sure statistically there's a ton more bike accidents in NYC than in the burbs (total # wise, not percentage). Riding in the city a lot and following those news channels, I hear about a lot more of them. Granted most of them are probably slow enough that they don't cause death. The few deaths I've heard of in the city are truck drivers crushing things w/o realizing it. I've had more close calls in the city than in NJ but usually because of me doing something silly.

I feel like the chances of death or serious injury in the 'burbs are greater since everything is generally happening at a higher speeds. After riding/driving in a straight line for 1hr listening to music, it's easier to become lax and oblivious to your surroundings.

actually I like the new NYC speed limit of 25 mph. I'm actually trying to comply and understand the rationale. Statistically you will much more likely survive getting hit by a 25 mph car vs. one going 35. Though best to avoid either

Back
Top Bottom