44mm vs. 51mm offset on fork?

w_b

so, apparently my bike's fork is spec'd at 130mm travel with 51mm offset; feels good, but I don't know.
I see now (what I think) is the same frame, next model year, with a 140mm fork, sporting 44mm offset.

I'm thinking I need this. Does 10mm additional travel require 7mm less offset, other things remaining equal? Seems preposterous. Again, I don't know.

29er, 120mm rear, if it matters. Lookin' at you, @jdog you got this whip. and others who in the "no" too please "way" in...

Trail429?
140mm fork is 44mm offset, and the 130mm is 51mm offset according to the specs on the site.

Reactions: w_b
Trail429?
140mm fork is 44mm offset, and the 130mm is 51mm offset according to the specs on the site.
yes. and yes.

sounds like 44mm is the "new" WTG, and prolly won't hurt anything. plus, I can send my 130mm/51 in for service without having to ride my oooold FSR.

Thanks.

yes. and yes.

sounds like 44mm is the "new" WTG, and prolly won't hurt anything. plus, I can send my 130mm/51 in for service without having to ride my oooold FSR.

Thanks.
I have the 140mm 36. Pretty sure @jShort is swapping his 130 for a 140.

Smaller offset makes for a more stable ride, bigger offset makes for a more 'nervous' ride. I don't think is necessary related to the fork travel.
Exactly. My new XC bike (100mm) has a 44mm offset. I greatly prefer it coming from a 51.

You may benefit from the shorter offset - improving the slack-is-whack geometry through hopefully better body position and weight distribution. A lot depends on where you ride, and how you ride.

Smaller offset makes for a more stable ride, bigger offset makes for a more 'nervous' ride. I don't think is necessary related to the fork travel.
This, bu thinking a 130mm/51 offset fork to a 140mm/44 offset fork on the same frame is going to be a huge difference in feel. Betting it won’t be willing to turn like the 130/51 but will be much quicker and more confidence inspiieing on gnarly descents.

I went from 51 to a 44 couldn’t tell any difference but I went to a much better fork from a Reba to a Lyrik.

The Trail 429 that comes with the 140mm Fox 36 is part of the "Enduro Spec". They also move to a DPX shock for this build. The 44mm offset is in keeping with adding stability for more aggressive downhill and tech riding, and will for sure sacrifice some of the low-speed agility of the 51mm offset/130mm travel Fox 34 found on the standard build. Not to mention that the additional axle-to-crown length of the 140mm fork will slow the steering as well. So it's worth considering how you tend to use the bike.

I think a big part of the attraction of the 36 (or a Pike) on this bike will be the increased stiffness of the fork, which obviously helps keep things in order when you're pushing the bike harder, but pays dividends in any sort of riding with improved steering response. I'm far from an aggressive rider, but this is what has me considering moving to a "bigger" fork on my 429.

The Trail 429 that comes with the 140mm Fox 36 is part of the "Enduro Spec". They also move to a DPX shock for this build. The 44mm offset is in keeping with adding stability for more aggressive downhill and tech riding, and will for sure sacrifice some of the low-speed agility of the 51mm offset/130mm travel Fox 34 found on the standard build. Not to mention that the additional axle-to-crown length of the 140mm fork will slow the steering as well. So it's worth considering how you tend to use the bike.

I think a big part of the attraction of the 36 (or a Pike) on this bike will be the increased stiffness of the fork, which obviously helps keep things in order when you're pushing the bike harder, but pays dividends in any sort of riding with improved steering response. I'm far from an aggressive rider, but this is what has me considering moving to a "bigger" fork on my 429.

great response. I had the 34/130 with 51 and just put the 36/140 with 44 and this is all true. It’s definitely more stiff and confidence inspiring in the front but when you get on those long, steep, and possibly twisty climbs, you feel the front wheel moving around a lot more. It’s a give and take.

The 44mm offset is in keeping with adding stability for more aggressive downhill and tech riding, and will for sure sacrifice some of the low-speed agility of the 51mm offset/130mm travel Fox 34 found on the standard build.

pays dividends in any sort of riding with improved steering response

It’s definitely more stiff and confidence inspiring in the front

Spot on, the kinds of responses I was hoping for. Thanks Guys.

I prolly have a LOT more to run with the current setup / my moreorless conservative-ish riding style; as I haven't really hung it out yet to the point where it felt skitty... It really does just gobble up everything I've thrown at it so far with no issue.

Will continue to look around. Maybe next step is to snag a spin on a 140/36/44 offset bike and try it TF out for myself.

Decreasing offset from 51-44 will increase trail. Increased trail provides a more stable platform. Less trail makes a quicker handling front end.

I have a question. My Pike has a 42mm offset. The steering on my Occam is really stable. It’s noticeable not as nimble as my old Norco Sight. I’ve grown to accept it. Now I want to bump my fork travel up from 140-150 but am concerned what it will do to my bike’s handling. Any thoughts?

Hi,
I have a 2021/22 Orbea Occam that came with a 140mm Fork in 44mm offset. The bike manual says that 44mm offset is recommended for 140-150mm travel forks on the frame. However, I’m looking to purchase a 160mm fork that is 51mm offset.
I wanted to know if the increase in offset will have a negative affect on my riding?
I also have a pair of offset bushings I can install and wonder if installing them away from each other rather than the traditional closer May normalize handling.
Your opinion and others is appreciated.

I’ve swapped between 44 and 51 on 100mm xc bikes and could not tell a difference. I’m not sure if a shorter travel fork would increase or decrease the feeling.

Back
Top Bottom