27.5+ HT vs 29 FS?

nj6964

I'm planning on upgrading from my current GT 29er HT. I ride in northern NJ on more rocky trails, Ringwood, High Mtn etc. The 29 has been great for rolling rock gardens. More and more I'm feeling the need for some rear squish. I'm thinking either go hardtail 27.5+ or 29 full suspension. I'm going to be in a fairly tight budget ~$1500 which is quite limiting. For slightly less than that I can get an airborne griffin at $1350 which looks sweet http://www.airbornebicycles.com/products/griffin?variant=12615997123

Or I can go 29 FS from another direct seller Fezzari and their Abajo Peak for $1700.https://www.fezzari.com/cross-country/abajo-peak

I'm looking for opinions on if the plus wheels will give me enough cushion or will they still feel harsh compared to FS?

Supermoto

At that price point, I would look for a used 29 full suspension. Something that is a couple years old, but still in good shape.

nj6964

I would love to purchase from my local shop but I've been looking and nothing really comes into that price range with still decent quality components. Used is another option that I'm looking at. Just always worried that I don't get a warranty if the frame cracks. Since it's such a big investment (for me) I'm probably going to ride this one for a long long time.

One other angle, how much truth is there that FS bikes require costly maintenance. I've seen it discussed on other forums and some people say yes and other no.

ktmrider

I would love to purchase from my local shop but I've been looking and nothing really comes into that price range with still decent quality components. Used is another option that I'm looking at. Just always worried that I don't get a warranty if the frame cracks. Since it's such a big investment (for me) I'm probably going to ride this one for a long long time.

One other angle, how much truth is there that FS bikes require costly maintenance. I've seen it discussed on other forums and some people say yes and other no.
I get it , soon you will be able to get any bike online ... It's only a matter of time . Good luck !

Supermoto

FS is going to be more maintenance intensive and tracking down creaks can be a pain in the ass. But the cost to change the oil and orings in a fork and shock isn't that bad.

If you have a habit of breaking frames, then new might be the way to go.

qclabrat

How often do you ride? Unfortunately look at my bike more than ride them so after 4 yrs my FS is finally due for an overhaul, estimating it to be about $300. I think the Airbornes are one of the best choices for budget minded looking for new. But as others have chimed in, look for used and you'll get a bike with much better parts. The griffin has a bunch of parts with aren't very good, beginning with the wheels where most budget bikes tend to chince. The two formats are very different, but based on your comments I'd think you'd have more fun on a FS. Good luck and let us know what you ended up with. Also is you post up you size, there may be someone here looking to sell which may meet your needs

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Get a 27.5+ full suspension that can take 29er wheels.
This.

At your budget it is unlikely you will find this.

The base cannondale Beast of the east Is a great bike for your budget. 27+ (somewhat) diminishes the need for a rear shock. IMO bike tech in moving so fast that used dualsus bike might be avoided. Also at your budget you are looking a pretty good hardtail or lousy dual sus.

http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...parentid=d70ddf2e-db0f-4c90-9e8e-7c52692c4a3b

Find a good local shop. Make a friend there for life.

Last edited:

nj6964

27.5+ FS would be ideal but there's nothing that comes close to my price range. That Cannondale beast looks pretty sweet.

I parking lot rode a Trel Fuel EX5 today and the rear squish is quite nice. I haven't yet rode a 27.5 plus HT.

greeek32

i would think a fs 29 would be what you want. go to a shop and tell them your price range and ask if they can get you a leftover for cheaper (sometimes their dealers/reps have a bike from the previous year that they want to get rid of). certain parts are worth paying for when on a budget, others are not. nice shifters are worth it, really nice derailleurs are not. the whole shimano Deore component kit is really nice when you consider how much it costs. the brakes are really stellar considering.

whatever you do, go find a shop and don't buy your bike off the internet. i don't know how good you are at building and maintaining bikes but when you buy from a shop they build the bike properly for you (a bike from the internet still needs to be built), they fit the bike so it...fits, and i don't know a single shop that doesn't give at least 1 free bike tune with a new bike. Brand new bikes need to kind of settle, where everything from the spokes to the headset tends to loosen up a bit (especially in north jersey) and a shop will help you with this.

When it comes to maintaining your suspension, it really depends where and how often you ride. if you ride in slop and sand or dry and dusty all the time you will need to maintain it more but the cost of rebuilding rear shocks for regular maintenance isn't bad.

that fuel ex5 is a great bike.

nj6964

Thanks for the advice. I like the ex 5 except that it has a coil fork. Right now I have RS recon 100mm air fork. I feel like I'm downgrading to go to a coil fork. I'm 6'0 and weigh 175 sort of average weight, how much will I feel a difference in the coil Recon?

skyrokz

Screenshot_20160426-085643.png

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Bide your time and buy a 160mm bike with 27.5 wheels. It's not too much, gives you flexibility, and isn't any more difficult to pedal than + sized wheels that weigh 3lbs. each. Plus (no pun intended) more fun when going downhill really fast.

nj6964

Thanks for the tips, and that Facebook group.

As for riding thru tough rock gardens has anyone opted for 29 simply for that reason or is 27.5 just as capable? That's the only reason I'm looking for a 29er is for getting over things.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for the tips, and that Facebook group.

As for riding thru tough rock gardens has anyone opted for 29 simply for that reason or is 27.5 just as capable? That's the only reason I'm looking for a 29er is for getting over things.

Theoretically they are the same diameter so rollover should be the same with 27.5+ getting a slight advantage due to lower pressure, but maybe not if your plus wheels are heavier to turn over and lift than your 29er wheels and 29er wheel is slightly taller. I've never ridden one though.

bucknejo

not to hijack this thread, but i have a similar set of options in front of me:

2012 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon (new shock/fork/drivetrain) or brand new Norco Torrent 27.5+ HT.

I'm loving the Carbon Tallboy price right now on Pinkbike and I wouldn't spend another nickel upgrading whereas the Norco would probably bleed me another 1 to 1.5 k on wheels, et al.

The real question is: do I really need boost hubs and extra frame/fork spacing? I feel like I'm fine with 2.4 tires on my 26, but not sure if I want to lock myself into this max tire size after shelling out multiple thousands of dollars.

Would anyone know if the 2012 SC tallboy can handle 2.8 27.5+ tires?

Scratch that last request above... I got my answer here:

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/how-to-convert-your-29er-to-a-27-5-all-trail-bike/

Last edited:

nj6964

Sorry my last question was a bit misleading. I'm asking regular 27.5 vs 29, how do they fare in rock gardens. Are most north jersey people riding 29ers for that reason?

Top Bottom