2021 Pro Gravity Schedule

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
For us to post everything on the world cups, world champs, ESC and US Open. That last one just revealed to resume in 2021 in late september in Cali.

Let's start by adding all the race dates we know. Send updates and I'll update this post to include it all.

World cups

POSTPONED -- (DH) Maribor, Slovenia

CANCELED -- (DH) Fort William, UK

June 12-13: (DH/XCO) Leogang, Austria

July 3-4: (DH/XCO) Les Gets, France

Sept 4-5: (DH/XCO) Lenzerheide, Switzerland

Sept 18-19: (DH/XCO) Snowshoe, USA

World champs
August 24–29: UCI MTB World Championships – Val di Sole, Italy

US Open
Canceled -- Sept 25-26 Big Bear CA

Last edited:
So weird not seeing MSA on the DH schedule. :confused:
Sad to not be going back but we're going to snowshoe for the first time so at least there's something in the new world.

I just wish there was more than 6 world cups. We haven't had a season without vallnord in several yrs as well.

The World Cup was at Snowshoe in 2019 at roughly the same time. It was a good time, although I understand condo rates are a lot higher this year than in 2019. I paid about $1000 for my 1BR condo Wed to Sun. I'm not sure I'll go again... there were some aspects of the event that bugged me compared to the Windham races I attended in 2014 and 15. It'll probably depend on if any of my teammates from DC go. Of course, getting them to plan that far ahead is like pulling teeth.

Aww... eff it… reserved a condo from Wed to Sun again... about the same cost with insurance. FWIW, if you are interested in a condo, do it soon. It doesn't look like many are left.

FWIW, there will be a limited number of trails open to the public during the World Cup event, but there are some trails to ride. Bring a light and a lock since you may want to ride into the village for food and may head back to your place after dark.

Hopefully the world will be closer to normal by then and we can actually watch the races... trying to stay socially distanced at an event like this would be difficult.

Aww... eff it… reserved a condo from Wed to Sun again... about the same cost with insurance. FWIW, if you are interested in a condo, do it soon. It doesn't look like many are left.
Cool man. We got a condo for fri-sun right when they announced it. What do you do for 4 nights there? Just ride and chill?

Cool man. We got a condo for fri-sun right when they announced it. What do you do for 4 nights there? Just ride and chill?
yeah... pretty much. I like watching the practice and touring the pits with less people around. You can actually talk to some of the riders if you want to. I was able to meet and talk to Ben Cathro for a bit while he was taking a break from filming in one of the parking lots. That was cool. Sat and Sun were just nuts with people everywhere. World Cup racing is so rare for us to see and I want to take in as much as I can when it's within reach.

I do plan to try to ride more. I think the Ballhooter Lift on the eastern side will be open along with the trails to the south of that lift (looking at the Trailforks map). There is also a fun loop on the south edge of the mtn that eventually loops around and you drop down into the lake bowl on the Bail Out trail. I did that last year and it was a fun loop. You might be able to get on some of the Western Express side trails, but you'll have to pedal back to the top as the lift will be closed to non-WC riders.

Hopefully the post-race parties on Sat night won't get killed. That was a freakin' epic night. Following Minnaar and the many of the DH pros from bar to bar until the last one finally kicked us all out. They were literally carrying Laurie Greenland back to his condo... and I'm sure Tracy Hannah didn't make it home without help.

Oh.. one last thing - there is zero Verizon service on the mountain. Like none. Some sort of deal they have with ATT or something. Fortunately, the condo has wifi, but away from the condo you basically go dark if you have Verizon.

Last edited:
Thanks man. Very excited to meet some pros again. Chatting with Troy brosnan, gee and others was awesome. Even the xc guys -- sam gaze walked off the podium at MSA and chatted with my boy for a minute. Super cool.

I'll definitely be confirming in advance if the lift is open since my son is not a pedaly guy and will want to bring his DH rig.

Anything else in the area? Outside chance my wife and daughter will want to come and they don't bike much. Maybe get them SUP for the lake. I think there's ziplining too.

I'm not really sure, TBH. Once you're away from the resort, you're basically deeeeeep in West Virginia - a lot of pretty scenery; not a lot to do. But I've also only ever been to the area for biking - back in the NORBA days I raced there in 2001, 02, & 03 and then for the World Cup. I was originally a bit bummed they didn't have a Citizen's Race like they ran at Windham, but at the same time, having to constantly keep track of my own practice schedule did detract a bit from the "vacation" aspect of attending the event.

Hopefully the event organizers do a better job of communicating than last time. I was annoyed last time because the finish line area was closed to regular spectators unless you had some sort of pass - which I would have bought had I known I'd need one. Granted, the lift-line back to the top after the race ended was hundreds of people long, so I'm not sure being at the bottom again is a great thing. I was lucky and a friend parked at the bottom and about a dozen of us crammed into the bed of his truck for a ride back to the top. I may take the gravel bike and ride back.

Oh... and it looks like we can already start planning for 2022: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/UCI-releases-2022-world-cup-calendar.html

Wyn Masters in the comments: "Yeah lets start in Lourdes in March that's a great idea.." 🤣 🤣 ...apparently Lourdes is known to be a little hard to race/ride in the wet, which is likely in March.

Still - 8 races plus Word Champs. Oh yeah! And 9 XCO races - wow!

And Snowshoe will be back again - this time at the end of July.

Last edited:
Oh... and it looks like we can already start planning for 2022: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/UCI-releases-2022-world-cup-calendar.html

Wyn Masters in the comments: "Yeah lets start in Lourdes in March that's a great idea.." 🤣 🤣 ...apparently Lourdes is known to be a little hard to race/ride in the wet, which is likely in March.

Still - 8 races plus Word Champs. Oh yeah! And 9 XCO races - wow!

And Snowshoe will be back again - this time at the end of July.
Yes! 8 world cups and back to MSA!

Not surprised... Here in the US we're complaining about how quickly everyone is getting the vaccine, but in reality we are doing a lot better than most countries.

Not surprised... Here in the US we're complaining about how quickly everyone is getting the vaccine, but in reality we are doing a lot better than most countries.
Thats fair. Still a bitter pill. Really really really hoping the season happens and especially snowshoe.

I hope so too. But I also paid extra for cancellation insurance on my condo reservation. There's an off-chance Snowshoe could become like Fort William and have no spectators, although I highly doubt it.

I hope so too. But I also paid extra for cancellation insurance on my condo reservation. There's an off-chance Snowshoe could become like Fort William and have no spectators, although I highly doubt it.
Meanwhile I just got my refund from the MSA host hotel last week. But remember this is WV -- they don't give nearly the shit that Canada or England does!

Meanwhile I just got my refund from the MSA host hotel last week. But remember this is WV -- they don't give nearly the shit that Canada or England does!
True... but there's a chance the UCI may overrule the resort on the matter of spectators. While I don't expect the world to have entirely returned to normal by Sept, I am hopeful it'll be close enough for the World Cup race.

Ouch! I guess he came into the line a little faster than he thought he was going to?
Edit: turns out it was a snapped chain at a really bad time:
Screenshot_20210314-224133.png

Crazy that Gwin hit a tree and still got 4th.

Last edited:
Ouch! I guess he came into the line a little faster than he thought he was going to?
Edit: turns out it was a snapped chain at a really bad time:
View attachment 153848

Crazy that Gwin hit a tree and still got 4th.
That's his home track. You know he was all about the win. Shame about the chain. Also surprised Charlie nipped dak -- my guess is he's back and ready to podium again.

Back
Top Bottom