2010 Hilltop Grasshopper kid's race pictures

gtluke

The Moped
http://gtluke.smugmug.com/Biking/2010-Hilltop-Grasshopper

These are all free, I totally forgot to leave cards at registration so everyone would know, if you know anyone that went please try and spread the word about the free pics.

Nice seeing a bunch of you out there without your tights ;)

This is what it's all about. :)
977281003_Jowcs-X2.jpg

He looks like he's having so much fun! Some of those kids look too old to be grasshoppers :D

It was all the way till 8th grade.
You should have heard Ilya's clone there giggling and yelling he was having so much fun. It was awesome.

This was a kick-ass event. They need to do more of this.

Nick (7) and Daniel (5) were stoked about this for weeks. Daniel was up like at 6am in anticipation.

Both had said they wanted to do the next race as well as their race, i.e. each do a category up after finishing their race. I asked if they could at registration, they said that was a first but sure.

race-10.jpg

The course was the most technical and challenging kids race I've seen.

This was a 2/3 of a mile loop with an opening fireroad, going into a woodchip laden uphill that is brutal for adults, and then descending into a tight twisty single track that was riddled with geniune rock gardens the kind we don't see in Central Jersey!

Competition was fierce. There were kids there who were clearly doping.

This was also a race where I actually took both the field shots, and the staging/ start/finish shots. Luke and I hung out for a bit, we actually wore the same t-shirt, it was so cute.

Daniel went off first in K-1st category. They did one lap. He battled with the top 5 kids, and came in 3rd.

See Luke's favorite pic above.

And this one

race-5.jpg

As soon as he could he lined up again for the 2nd-3rd graders category, which also included Nick.

He came off the starting line briefly to receive his medal. But that was only on the promise that the race wouldn't go off without him.

race-14.jpg

So 2d-3d graders were off. This was more serious. They were doing 2 laps

race-15.jpg

Nick's nemesis and battle for 3rd

race-3.jpg

race-4.jpg

race-22.jpg

Nick just got "nicked" out to take 4th in a hotly contested battle.

race-7.jpg

Daniel, who showed no signs of getting tired, was having a fabulous time

race-16.jpg

He did pretty well actually, somewhere midpack

Then, they both lined up AGAIN, for the 4th-5th graders race, who do 3 laps. Mind you this would be Daniel's 4,5,and 6th lap, and Nick's 3,4, and 5th.

Daniel continued to have fun, while Nick was down to business.

In the end, Daniel wisely quit after the 1st lap. Nick finished 3 laps, and he was beat.

Everyone had a blast. Great event. When we got home the I installed the bike computers they were given at the race, and they did some measurements around the hood.

Thanks luke for the awesome pics, my son will have a smile from ear to ear when he see`s them.He always said he wanted you to take his pic and now he will have a bunch. I`ll make a donation as a thank You.
_________
Willy

Hey kush your boys were ripping out there, sporting their MTBNJ jerseys and there smiles were priceless. Also I see the apple does not fall far from the tree.Great day for sure !
_____
Willy

AMAZING pics bro. Agree the expressions are priceless. My fav pic is the one with him racing with his medal with the yellow airbag that seems to have gotten deployed. You have very photogenic kids for sure. Congrats mini Kushs!

These are all free, I totally forgot to leave cards at registration so everyone would know, if you know anyone that went please try and spread the word about the free pics.

Luke, you can ping Mergs if you haven't already

Guess who?!

luke.jpg

Luke as usual, stellar job on the photog.

Guys this was such a rewarding event. It was fairly easy to organize (easy for me to say, Geordie Smith did all the work) and the smiles on the kids are priceless.

We're planning on doing it again next year. In fact, if we can manage it we'll try to do 1 or 2 more elsewhere were feasible.

Ilya, nice to meet you. Glad you brought the boys out for some rocky fun.

Grasshopper Encore

For everyone who came out with all those kids, (a total of 53 racers) thanks for making this a safe and fun event.

For those who missed the announcement about this year's first Hilltop Grasshopper, here's an early advisement of next year's Second Annual Hilltop Grasshopper........Saturday, August 20

The course is open for training, hope to see you out there.

the grasshopper

My son keeps looking at his pics over and over and over. He finished mid pack, not bad considering his chain came off twice :hmmm: on the front to. Hopefully he is not getting daddy`s curse with chain issue`s although i`ve been good lately. Thanks again to all involved.
_________
Willy

GREAT! just great moment for me since my kids usually don't have time to support my sport.
THANK YOU LUKE! the photos will go right in front of my nose at my desk & I'll enjoy everyday!

Back
Top Bottom