2006 Harpoon Brewery Churn & Burn

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well how about that! I never noticed the 8 hour option before. I wonder if I can push this one by the wife in a mere 2 weeks? I tend to doubt it. That's a long way from the house. Would end up driving as much as biking. Possibly a good event to have on my plate for next year. Thanks for the heads up!
 

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i'll be there. need to vindicate myself after calling it a race at midnight at allamuchy. anyone ridden there before?
 

rocknrollgirl

Well-Known Member
check the fine print

I think the 8 hour race is only for college students currently registered at UCONN. I clicked on the registration for the rcae and they had that tidbit of info posted there.....
 

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
rocknrollgirl said:
I think the 8 hour race is only for college students currently registered at UCONN. I clicked on the registration for the rcae and they had that tidbit of info posted there.....
Weak. Churn & Burn this, Genesis. You were better with Peter Gabriel anyway!

Thanks for the heads up!
 

anrothar

entirely thrilled
the event was incredible! i just got back. took third solo. the previous days rain left the course a mixture of loamy trails, mud bogs(at least 12, which got worse as the race progressed) and slippery rock. reeeaaally difficult course under the conditions. i am obliterated.

the venue was awesome too. park at your campsite, with picnic table, electrical hookups and a water spigget at each site. free breakfast on sunday, free beer on saturday afternoon/evening:)D ), really friendly people. it was an overall, really fun and enjoyable torture session.
 

heythorp

New Member
anrothar said:
the event was incredible! i just got back. took third solo. the previous days rain left the course a mixture of loamy trails, mud bogs(at least 12, which got worse as the race progressed) and slippery rock. reeeaaally difficult course under the conditions. i am obliterated.
You didnt ride to this one did you?;)
 

anrothar

entirely thrilled
thanks, and nope, didn't ride to this one... i would have been in trouble if i did. i was barely able to walk after the event. it's kinda wierd with the clipless pedals. they make me go alot faster, but they use different muscles groups than running shoes/platform and the whole going faster thing, sorta wears you out a little quicker... i was cramping by the sixth lap(@5 mile laps) and icy-hot was used quite generously several times throughout the race. i need more training. not for speed, but for endurance.
 

heythorp

New Member
endurance training sucks. The only thing you can do is put more hours in the saddle.

Good luck with that and congratualtions on 3rd
 

anrothar

entirely thrilled
yeah, the 8 hour was college kids. trails cleared out quite a bit after their race.

more hours in the saddle sounds like the ticket.
 

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
heythorp said:
endurance training sucks. The only thing you can do is put more hours in the saddle.
That's about it. Most endurance coaches have you being able to ride comfortably for 6 hours in any one day. Some say you should be able to do that back-to-back days. In general, an 8 hour dry run before the event is what many say you need to have under your belt for various reasons.

Not that I speak from experience. My longest training ride for the 24 was about 3 hours.
 
Top