2002 Specialized Big Hit $2000

TTPjake

I'm selling my customized Big Hit. It's basically now a weight weenie xc bike. Shed a lot of weight by pretty much swapping out all the parts for lighter ones. I powder coated the frame myself in flat black. Here's the before picture:
bighitwheniboughtit.jpg

Here is the frame straight out of the powder coating oven:
powdercoat.jpg
Here's what it looks like now:
413862_10150631040336878_1509977888_o.jpg
Here's the list of parts:
Spinergy Xyclone Enduro 26' wheels
Maxxis High Roller UST in the rear (only tire that fits the frame)
Bontrager H2DLX smooth street tire on the front (installed)
Specialized S-Works Fast Trak 26" MTB tire on the front (included)
Rockshox Revalation RLT dual air 150mm front fork
FOX Vanilla rear shock (came with bike at time of purchase, but I upgraded the spring)
Hayes rear hydraulic brake (came with bike at time of purchase, front brakes included but not installed due to lack of correct caliper bracket)
Hope Gothic rear rotor
SRAM XO rear derailleur super short cage
SRAM PG990 9 speed cassette
SRAM PC991 hollow pin P-link chain
FSA K speed carbon crank
FSA SLK XC riser carbon handlebar
FSA SLK carbon seatpost
Bontrager SSR seat in white
RAVX Pace carbon stem
Ritchey WCS Carbon Fiber top cap
MRP Standard roller kit in white
XLC Alloy MTB Dual sided clipless pedals
Lizard Skins Carbon leather chainstay protector
Race Face Good'N'Evil grips
Profile Design carbon fiber handlebar plugs
2 Portland Design Works Spaceship LED headlights
Cateye LED taillight
Bontrager seat pack with:
UltraflatePLUS CO2 tire inflator
spare tube
Park Tool multi tool

Asking $2,000 or best offer

Bike is in fair condition. Rear tire rubs once in a while if the wheel skewer isn't tight enough. This is caused by the rear section of the frame being slightly bent and the fact that it has 26" tires on a frame made for 24". Crank needs constant tightening, I don't know why it keeps on loosening. Make me an offer!

Last edited:

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
Im gonna spend a good hour thinking about this sales pitch. The "Are you fucking kidding me" approach, I like it already.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Fair condition, bent rear triangle, no front brakes, wrong wheel size, 13 yrs old. I'd say we'll worth the asking price. I might buy it.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd race this weight weenie XC bike if it still had the double crown fork.

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
mmm yeah. bent rear end and homemade paint job so any cracks are well hid. I am confused, made for 24" wheels? The only thing this member posts is bikes for sale.
But we sure are giving him lots of free bumps arent we?

But what do I know?

TTPjake

I see that everyone thinks I'm nuts. I'm just trying to some of my money back. $2000 is a lot but $200 is insane. The wheels alone cost me $700. Front brake comes with the bike. It just needs a different caliper bracket. Frame is powder coated now sprayed.

What would be considered a fair price?

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Similar year/model bikes go for around $500.00 bucks on CL. Sadly, you can't get the value of the add-ons out of it. If you put $5000.00 worth of wheels and stereo into a 79 Chevy Caprice, well, you still have a 79 Caprice.
Either take all those nice parts and build yourself something modern, or if you need the cash sell separately. But that frame alone is worth a couple hundred at the very best, nice powercoat or not.

TTPjake

Well that's disappointing because I'd have a hard time letting it go at half my asking price. I may just settle on parting it out or just holding on to it. Either way, money down the drain

ChrisRU

For bikes that are only a couple of years old, 40% of retail is a ballpark starting point for the MTBNJ market place. You can go higher if a bike is only 1-2 yrs old and in great shape.

For a bike this old, any money you put into is a sunk cost and adds zero value. Part out the upgrades, and if you have the old/stock parts and can put it back together you might be able to get a couple hundred bucks for the bike.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well that's disappointing because I'd have a hard time letting it go at half my asking price. I may just settle on parting it out or just holding on to it. Either way, money down the drain

Unfortunately, such is life. Look at what a 13 year old car would cost you now to what it was. Just like a bike, they had to dump money in to keep it running... between tires, brakes, oil changes, etc. Also, it's not being sold in tip top shape. As an example, a 2002 Honda Civic LX back then was $17,260. KBB lists it at $2,795 now in fair condition. This would make it worth 16% of the original cost.

These are the times that sentimental value outweighs what you would get from a sale. I would sell off the parts that people are willing to pay for and make it into a singlespeed, then take it out for a spin when you want to clear your head and think back to 2002.

Top Bottom