1st ride here yesterday.....

E

Evil

Just rode Shark River park. Let me just preface this by saying that
I love riding a bike in the woods, period, so I am definitly biased, take my reviews with a grain of salt.
Easy to get to park with what seemed to be little use.
The markings could be confusing and the truck access roads will really disorient you.
Many wide, sandy trails, very sandy (and this is coming from a die-hard Allaire guy).
There were 2 trails that I really enjoyed.
From the enterance across the street, make a left and hit Rivers Edge Trail (black), it's real technical, can be muddy and if you can do the climb out I bow down to you.
The other trail that I dug was Hidden Creek Trail. It's best to take the trail towards Schoolhouse Raod rather than away from it.
There are a few roots some moderatly flowing downhill and neat wide boardwalks over marsh.
I spoke to a ranger there (who was at Clayton Woods for 3 years) and he told me about some XC trails they were building there (I did see evidence of the beginning stages of it), he kept referring to the park as not getting a lot of "business" which I thought was an interesting word to use.
He said he rode as well and coming from Clayton he seems to know the value of a good trail network to attract people.
I plan on keeping my eye on this park.
All in all I probibally won't be going back here again if the park remains as is, but if I lived riding distance away it would be my training loops.

carabs

I used to work right around the corner from Shark River and would jog there 2-3 times a week. And one random day (in May of 06) I decided to just try out biking it. Lets just say I didn't have much fun. Going a few miles down the road to Allaire was the better choice. But after reading your post I might have to go back and just see whats-a-doin. Maybe its gotten better? All I know is I need to go soooon cause the river trails get very grown up. And the horse flies get big in them parts during the summer too.

Thanks for the review BTW.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
After spending about 3 hours at Allaire today, I stopped by Shark River Park for a quick ride. It's pretty much right down the road from my house (new to the area). and I have never been there.

It's not a bad little set of trails if you are local...I wouldn't travel halfway across the state to ride here or anything though.

Just as Evil said, "Hidden Creek Trail. It's best to take the trail towards Schoolhouse Road rather than away from it."....You can pick up some speed going in that direction for sure.

I'll probably go back and explore some more. Perhaps BEFORE riding 3 hours at Allaire...If it wasn't 10 minutes away I would reconsider.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
As others have said SR park trails are ok, not too technical, rather limited(you can tour the whole place in less than 45 min.) and some spots are muddy 10 months out of the year. Basically you wouldnt want to make a specific trip to the place but if your at Allaire and want to check it out, or if your a local with some time to kill and dont want to ride Allaire than SR is an option. If you go make your way over to Corlies ave. towards Shark River golf course. There is a Rita's right on the corner of 33/Corlies ave.:D

walter

Fourth Party
As others have said SR park trails are ok, not too technical, rather limited(you can tour the whole place in less than 45 min.) and some spots are muddy 10 months out of the year. Basically you wouldnt want to make a specific trip to the place but if your at Allaire and want to check it out, or if your a local with some time to kill and dont want to ride Allaire than SR is an option. If you go make your way over to Corlies ave. towards Shark River golf course. There is a Rita's right on the corner of 33/Corlies ave.:D

...or Kelly's, or Pete and Eldas

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
mmmmm... Pete and Eldas....
seriously there is a TM session for SR has anyone ever did one there?

Dude...We always head to Pete and Eldas after a good surf session. Too bad you always have to WAIT!

What is up with the trail maintenace at this park?

A couple of sections seemed like excessively washed out root gullies, especially next to some wooden steps on the Hidden Creek trail. This was recommended to me as a good short trail that was not too hard but those roots detracted from the experience.

There was a little mudhole at both ends of the long boardwalk that I walked around. Other than those issues it has some fun singletrack mixed with carriage roads.

MSH

SR - 2012 Update

Just went to Shark River this past Saturday since other trails in Central NJ are still "closed" due to Sandy.

It seems like not much has changed at SR, a lot of fireroad with short stretches of single track. Hidden Creek is still the most interesting trail. It still has a pretty nasty root gully at the end of the boardwalk and 3-4 sections that are tough but overall its not technical at all. River Edge seems like it has potential but its short and a bit flooded. Like others have said, don't make a day trip out of this park, but if you want to change it up a bit or introduce someone to the sport, this place is great.

To add some clarity on how much of this park is fireroad vs single track I edited the parks trail map (attached). If Allaire is still closed by the time I ride again. I'll edit this map for the rest of the trails (SR Run, Pine Hills).

Attachments

• Shark River Park - Single vs Fire.jpg
    Shark River Park - Single vs Fire.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 511

at100plus

Anyone want to ride here with me weekdays after 9AM?

Shark River is close to my house. I was able to do 10 miles there last time I was there, I did laps but beats the street. I just changed my hours so I am free many weekdays. I can do Allaire or Clayton some days too.

Mike

Last edited:

WinTaper

I ride Shark River fairly often - as I live less than a mile away and can just bike there. Its not the greatest trails park - but it can be fun.

I think the Pine Hills Loop is probably the best singletrack trail. Hidden Creek also has some singletrack. The rest is mostly fire roads. I haven't ridden River's Edge yet - parts of it seem rideable - but there are some stairs to contend with and its usually muddy.

Hurricane Sandy deposited a lot of sand on some of the lower-lying areas, so there are some tough spots to get through.

Overall, nice place for a short ride - but probably not worth a long trip to visit.

-Dan

I just road SR for the first time. It was not the greatest. Maybe because I didn't know where I was going. I first tried to access Shark River run from Remsen Mill Rd. I think I found where the trail is supposed to be, but it was so overgrown and wet I turned back after a little while and road around to Gully Road park entrance. As stated, a lot of sandy fire roads. I did see what looked like single track a few times, only to go down them and find out either overgrown or big trees down and had to turn around. Looks like I did some combination of Hidden Creek/Cedar Trail towards schoolhouse and then Hidden Creek to River's edge back. But seems I took Hidden Creek too far and got to River's Edge halfway down. As people stated before, not the hardest of trails until the end where it gets really hard on the climb out. Wouldn't be my prime choice to go back, but as I did not do the entire park, maybe I will give it another change.

Top Bottom