Chain Wax Discussion thread

No more cleaning before wax? You need to use a newer version of Silca's wax, a crock pot that gets warm enough, and one of these new strip chip things….

I didnt see this as a game changer as you only have to do that cleaning once. I did lile the graph they had saying that the initial cleaning process takes two days because of the overnight soak

I didnt see this as a game changer as you only have to do that cleaning once. I did lile the graph they had saying that the initial cleaning process takes two days because of the overnight soak
The review I read said its far from perfect

Even though it converts the factory grease into a solid lube with that oleogelation process, I would still feel like I’m contaminating the wax.

30 mile ride the other day in wet and soggy Wharton forest, the chain wax already had about 70 miles on it. Right about the end of the ride I started hearing the chain asking for lube. With a wet lube I would have been hearing the same thing by the end plus a whole lot of grinding sounds when sand sticks to the wet chain. When wet sand does get on the chain it doesn‘t stay long if at all.

Stuff is sticking to everything but the chain, wife suggested to dip the whole bike in wax.
IMG_5216.jpeg
IMG_5202.jpeg
IMG_5207.jpeg

That's an excellent example of how clean a waxed chain stays right there!! And you're right about the sand not sticking either, I hate the sound of sand grinding on my chainring, makes me cringe, that doesn't happen with Wax even after a Hartshorn or Allaire ride.

Gritty wet roads yesterday left my cassette a bit of a mess, almost looked like greasy residue, however after boiling water on it…
IMG_5953.jpeg

Amazing

Also, i have a glass jar i use to boil water in, makes heating and getting it outside easy

I don't get the boiling water thing, a simple spray of MucOff bike wash and a bottle brush is all it takes to wipe any excess dirt off of a waxed setup. Boiling water melts the wax, not a good idea IMO.

I don't get the boiling water thing, a simple spray of MucOff bike wash and a bottle brush is all it takes to wipe any excess dirt off of a waxed setup. Boiling water melts the wax, not a good idea IMO.
I have the Mucoff bike wash, doesn't get it all and needs multiple applications. Regardless, the point is you don't need any chemicals to clean this stuff up.

I'm about 55 miles / 8hrs into the waxed chain on my MTB and it's time for a refresh. At least 1/2 of that was in the last 2 weeks at CR where there have been quite a few spots to get the chain wet. This was also a used chain so probably not the best adhesion. I've got a new chain on the way to get a rotation going, hopefully I'll get a bit more mileage out of the next round.

I'm about 55 miles / 8hrs into the waxed chain on my MTB and it's time for a refresh. At least 1/2 of that was in the last 2 weeks at CR where there have been quite a few spots to get the chain wet. This was also a used chain so probably not the best adhesion. I've got a new chain on the way to get a rotation going, hopefully I'll get a bit more mileage out of the next round.
Did you buy the drip on top of wax?

Back
Top Bottom