Upgraditis has set in-Specialized Diverge

If forced to choose between keeping my road or gravel bike…. Honestly, at this point I’d keep the gravel bike (with a second set of wheels for longer or group road rides).
I’m sure the lines will be blurred even more as gravel bikes get more aero and road bike frames accommodate bigger tires. Seems like gravel is not adopting the headset cable routing as quickly as road bikes. That’s enough reason in itself to stick to a gravel bike.

Last edited:
If forced to choose between keeping my road or gravel bike…. Honestly, at this point I’d keep the gravel bike (with a second set of wheels for longer or group road rides).
this^^

I just finished getting my road wheel setup in place for my new to me Gravel bike. Although if I really had to have one bike (god forbid) I'd probably go back to a 2x up front for the longer rides.

They're-The-Same-Picture.jpg

this^^

I just finished getting my road wheel setup in place for my new to me Gravel bike. Although if I really had to have one bike (god forbid) I'd probably go back to a 2x up front for the longer rides.
Just had a wheel re dished to Cannondale AI for this reason.
My Defy will be on the trainer for the rest of it's time on earth.
My Supersix EVO SE is basically a road bike for 45mm tires.

I follow a couple guys on Strava that have jumped into this whole “gravel” thing. Their rides are 30-70 miles with maybe 4 miles of actual gravel roads. They do these crazy routes trying to string together .75 mile sections of gravel road. The problem is in NJ its ether paved or a bolder fields.
Yeah, the idea of sort of road riding without cars is awesome. Columbia Trail, WM Greenway, a few roads by the Trump course, Hacklebarney, etc. Definitely some gravel, but you need to link it with a lot of road miles. Plus you can ride much of what I listed with a road bike just fine. The hilly stuff gets touchy on the downhills, though. If I did buy another road bike, it would be gravel for the versatility.

I’m not sure. I think gravel is 100x what fatbikes ever were at their peak popularity
Agreed. Fat bikes were already in the discount bins with the dented cans of beans this far into the "Fad". Don't get me wrong, these damn companies coming out with new bikes to ride the same places we've already ridden is eye-rolling, but gravel riding has some staying power. And no one criticizes golfers for having a bag of clubs, why shouldnt riders have bikes for different conditions?

Oh, and golfers bite. Just tee off with a putter, dammit.

Agreed. Fat bikes were already in the discount bins with the dented cans of beans this far into the "Fad". Don't get me wrong, these damn companies coming out with new bikes to ride the same places we've already ridden is eye-rolling, but gravel riding has some staying power. And no one criticizes golfers for having a bag of clubs, why shouldnt riders have bikes for different conditions?

Oh, and golfers bite. Just tee off with a putter, dammit.

Kind of like how many different car options there are to drive on the same roads as everyone else.

So sensitive. Is that why you need moose mits to ride under 40 degrees? 😂

I’m not shaming. Just stating my observation that Gravel has far and away exceeded the fat fad.

I don't own BARM ITTS but I build bitchin' trails.
1000005969-01.jpeg

I follow a couple guys on Strava that have jumped into this whole “gravel” thing. Their rides are 30-70 miles with maybe 4 miles of actual gravel roads. They do these crazy routes trying to string together .75 mile sections of gravel road. The problem is in NJ its ether paved or a bolder fields.
I have 60+ miles of uninterrupted (except for crossing paved roads) gravel that is, um, conveniently located to me. Namely, the Paulinskill, Sussex Branch and Great Valley trails. Surface ranges from groomed gravel to almost single-trackey, with multiple options to jump off into the woods. 2 wheelsets - one with 650x45 knobby-ish and 700x32 slick-ish.

I have 60+ miles of uninterrupted (except for crossing paved roads) gravel that is, um, conveniently located to me. Namely, the Paulinskill, Sussex Branch and Great Valley trails. Surface ranges from groomed gravel to almost single-trackey, with multiple options to jump off into the woods. 2 wheelsets - one with 650x45 knobby-ish and 700x32 slick-ish.
You carry two wheelsets with you on your rides?
Or....just go find a $1000.00 used Epic from 2012-2020 and put skinny tires on it. That is an abomination.
at least niner is consistent with being bad.

Back
Top Bottom