Upgraditis has set in-Specialized Diverge

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I picked up a used Diverge to try out this crazy new "gravel" fad that all the cool kids are doing and I really enjoyed riding it. Plan A was to ditch the (base Claris) Diverge and try to find a higher spec version until a buddy offered me some tasty drivetrain upgrades. Let the games begin!

I'll need a rear 11 speed Shimano shifter-how dorky is it to run different spec levers on each side? The Velominati are watching. Looking at 105.
The internet says a Shimano cable brake shifter will work either rim or disc? I plan to use the existing calipers.
Wheels? Funny I held onto a set of Arches for way too long as a "just in case" wheelset. Dunno if they made a 12mm axle kit tho. I'd love something lighter and more tubelessy than the stock Axis but don't want to break the bank.

Advice, part offers, or hedge fund investors all considered. "Personal" offers please DM. ;)
Thanks!

picard-meme-facepalm.jpg

Can’t wait to see in a year from now all the gravel bikes up for sale in “like new” condition. Sorta like what’s happening with Fatbikes now.

Don’t get me wrong… the more bikes, the betterer. 😁
I’m not sure. I think gravel is 100x what fatbikes ever were at their peak popularity

So I picked up a used Diverge to try out this crazy new "gravel" fad that all the cool kids are doing and I really enjoyed riding it. Plan A was to ditch the (base Claris) Diverge and try to find a higher spec version until a buddy offered me some tasty drivetrain upgrades. Let the games begin!

I'll need a rear 11 speed Shimano shifter-how dorky is it to run different spec levers on each side? The Velominati are watching. Looking at 105.
The internet says a Shimano cable brake shifter will work either rim or disc? I plan to use the existing calipers.
Wheels? Funny I held onto a set of Arches for way too long as a "just in case" wheelset. Dunno if they made a 12mm axle kit tho. I'd love something lighter and more tubelessy than the stock Axis but don't want to break the bank.

Advice, part offers, or hedge fund investors all considered. "Personal" offers please DM. ;)
Thanks!
Are you going to be able to ride in peace without thinking about mismatched levers? Brake cable pull should be fine. Assuming you're talking about 3.30 hubs, you're not gonna find any 12-thru endcaps.
I’m not sure. I think gravel is 100x what fatbikes ever were at their peak popularity
So it'll be 100x the like new bikes? 😆

Can’t wait to see in a year from now all the gravel bikes up for sale in “like new” condition. Sorta like what’s happening with Fatbikes now.

Don’t get me wrong… the more bikes, the betterer. 😁
Fwiw I do also own a fatbike. 😜

Real talk tho, this thing rides so incredibly much better than my old 23/25c road bikes I can’t imagine riding something else on the road, plus it will hop curbs without dying. Just trying to solve the “pig heavy” thing a little.

Are you going to be able to ride in peace without thinking about mismatched levers? Brake cable pull should be fine. Assuming you're talking about 3.30 hubs, you're not gonna find any 12-thru endcaps.

So it'll be 100x the like new bikes? 😆
Yeah I can live with it. I loved the look of old free ride bikes with mismatched wheels. It’s a feature not a bug. 😁

Thanks!
I just built up an all road bike and can confirm 105 shifters work with both disc and rim brake calipers. That being said, i cannot support different model levers on either side.
Definitely not fair to compare gravel and fat bikes as gravel is just the “new” endurance category.

The problem per se, is gravel went to far, like who actually needs 48’s, or mtb tires on a gravel bike. In this theoretical, i will
Ride this anywhere, but how many people actually do.

I moved to a big biking area and this past weekend was the first time in 18 months of living here I saw fat bikes on the trails. Every other car here has a bike rack, see dozens of bikes every day yet these were the first fat bikes on the trails. Tons of gravel bikes, tons of mountain bikes, tons of commuter bikes every day.

They were 60+ years old and from Northern Michigan struggling on an easy trail asking us for directions. They barely took hold in some areas, and probably anywhere that doesn't get much snow or sand none were sold.

In NJ I wouldn't be surprised if the # is easily 100X. In reality it's only a handful of people on fat bikes and they're probably all on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom