• I have ridden one in a trail for over an hr and I am considering one

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never give up my analog bike but I’ll still get an ebike

Votes: 34 14.3%
  • Did he just say analog bike?

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • My knees are failing and an ebike in inevitable

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • My next bike will certainly be an ebike.

Votes: 19 8.0%
  • I’ll never own an ebike, even when I’m 90

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Ebikes cause more trail damage than analog bikes

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Ebikes have no more trail impact than a traditional bike.

Votes: 63 26.5%
  • I hate anyone on an ebike

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Anyone on a bike is a friend of mine, ebike or not

Votes: 89 37.4%
  • I’ve been seeing ebikes in the woods regularly

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I’ve never seen an ebike on the trail

Votes: 15 6.3%
  • It's called an Acoustic bike

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • “I may consider one after my body is all used up and broken"

Votes: 64 26.9%
  • I already own an off-road Ebike

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I have no interest in an e-bike

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • Arguing against ebikes is kerfuffle

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I like Matty no matter what he rides

Votes: 17 7.1%

• Total voters
Neither, I was happy. One said they wouldn't be able to keep up with the group on a "analog" bike.

I told him that was awesome that he was able to join us.

I'll get one when I get old.
While I understand this mindset, it’s a little off track. There is absolutely no reason to wait till you get old.

Some of the hardest rides I’ve ever done have been on e-bikes.

I’d really recommend doing a full trail day on an e-bike so you can fully grasp what they are about.

A month ago I took out one of my friends who has been a long time e-bike hater and we did two solid hours. He conceded that he completely misjudged how hard they are to ride at times, the intense work out that they provide, and what they actually added to the experience.

I’m actually on my 7th e-bike now, And it’s not the only bike I ride by any means… It’s just there’s another way to have a lot of fun.

The bus went by and I got on, that’s when it all began..

I’ll accept anybody’s judgment on E bikes, but only if it comes with firsthand experience of riding a modern, high-performance E bike. Other than that, a judgment is not based on reality.

I’m curious if e-road bikes are a thing. Back in the beginning it was just road as I remember a handful being at the fondo. Now I don’t really hear much about them. Are they still a thing and are people buying them?
We sell a lot of them. It’s likely that you’ve actually done a ride with someone on one before… These days they are so discreet that you might not even know that someone is on one.

I don’t quite understand the 20 mile an hour version of these as on a group ride you’re actually doing a lot more work than regular bike on anything over 20 miles an hour

The 28 mile an hour version.. I totally understand

While I understand this mindset, it’s a little off track. There is absolutely no reason to wait till you get old.

I’d really recommend doing a full trail day on an e-bike so you can fully grasp what they are about.

A month ago I took out one of my friends who has been a long time e-bike hater and we did two solid hours. He conceded that he completely misjudged how hard they are to ride at times, the intense work out that they provide, and what they actually added to the experience.

I’m actually on my 7th e-bike now, And it’s not the only bike I ride by any means… It’s just there’s another way to have a lot of fun.

The bus went by and I got on, that’s when it all began..

I’ll accept anybody’s judgment on E bikes, but only if it comes with firsthand experience of riding a modern, high-performance E bike. Other than that, a judgment is not based on reality.
you really can not punch any holes in this aurgument, its 100% spot on yet you'll get a few yahoo's who still say nice moped :rolleyes:

my bike mechanic had one for commuting for a while, he let me take it out for a spin, and while it was certainly wild (accelerated to 28-30 in under a block) its not something im looking for at this point (considering i only own a roadbike for the workout benefit, it would just increase the distance i need to cover to get the same workout), as a commuter bike tho i could totally see it.

100%, especially assuming it is only for "old" people. I bet many "old" ebike riders on their analog bikes can outride the younger riders that don't think they're old enough yet for an ebike.

I never pass on the opportunity to quote Jimmy Buffett.. "Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it".

I still have an idea for a low-power touring e-bike. Something with just enough power to help a bit on long climbs with a fully loaded bike, and then get recharged with a dynamo hub during the descent.

I also saw a bunch of e-bikes at Allaire yesterday, but that isn't anything new. I see a bunch there every time I've been there. A friend I was riding with has an e-bike but didn't bring it to the ride (has a Blur-3). He said he doesn't really like his e-bike for trail riding due to the weight - his is about 53 lbs. And despite having a background in motocross, he still finds it a beast to manhandle.

He said he doesn't really like his e-bike for trail riding due to the weight - his is about 53 lbs. And despite having a background in motocross, he still finds it a beast to manhandle.
I'm gonna guess he's not running a newer, when I say newer 2023-24? Is the 53lbs harder then an 20lbs less unassisted sure but I can toss my '23 Wild around just as well as my old ripmo. The bonus is the Wild is 10x more stable then that ripmo could ever be. Point is depends on the bike IMO.

I'm gonna guess he's not running a newer, when I say newer 2023-24? Is the 53lbs harder then an 20lbs less unassisted sure but I can toss my '23 Wild around just as well as my old ripmo. The bonus is the Wild is 10x more stable then that ripmo could ever be. Point is depends on the bike IMO.
It's a Nukeproof. Not sure of the model, although he was able to get it for a steep discount from one of the big online vendors (under $4K with an MSRP more than 2x that, or something). I think he said it's a '23 model. He did mention it is really stable through chunk, but once set to a line, it basically wants to stick to that line. Granted, a lot of modern DH bikes want to be ridden that way as well, even with ~20 lbs. less weight.

Yeah nukeproof wasn't winning any accolades amongst testers. In fact in one shootout it was tied dead last with niner IIRC. They basically took their Enduro analog and threw a battery and motor on. Serious R&D in this category is how to hide the extra weight, low and center. Also more bikes now are coming with integrated batteries vs the pull for better stiffness.

20240226_183623.jpg

Just interested in how much a drive unit costs to replace?

We sell a lot of them. It’s likely that you’ve actually done a ride with someone on one before… These days they are so discreet that you might not even know that someone is on one.

I don’t quite understand the 20 mile an hour version of these as on a group ride you’re actually doing a lot more work than regular bike on anything over 20 miles an hour

Tell me about it. I have a MY21/22 Canyon Grail-on gravel ebike. Supposed to assist to 28 mph but I was pretty sure assistance was cutting out at 20 mph. Canyon said I could take it to an authorized Bosch dealer to have max speed increased. My local Bosch dealer bike shop ran the motor diagnostic and said they could not increase the max speed because the motor is a Performance Line CX (max 20 mph) instead of a Performance Line Speed (max 28 mph). So, not the right motor even though it had a Performance Line Speed badge on it.

From the ride statistics in the diagnostics report, the motor has 1,959 miles on it. I'd keep it in Eco most of the time (lowest assist level) but report says I did 908 of those miles unassisted (so above 20 mph). I was working harder pushing an ebike every time I got over 20 mph, lol.

Anyway, Canyon did the right thing and sent me a new Performance Line Speed motor and reimbursed me for LBS labor to install.

Now I have a perfectly good Bosch Performance Line CX motor, if someone wants to give me 5 clams for it.

img_2194-jpg.233460
IMG_2195.jpg
IMG_2196.jpg
IMG_2198.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2194.jpg
    IMG_2194.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 885
N+1 has turned to a class 3 gravel bike. Time to unload some human powered bikes.
Anyone here who care to share their opinions.
Not a lot of choices that I can see. Canyon is all that keeps coming up.

Reactions: SAM
N+1 has turned to a class 3 gravel bike. Time to unload some human powered bikes.
Anyone here who care to share their opinions.
Not a lot of choices that I can see. Canyon is all that keeps coming up.
Canyon is the one I have. Class 3 now that I've got the right motor installed. Moots Express, if $10K and a non-Bosch Shimano EP801 don't turn you off.

Back
Top Bottom