Colonoscopy, how long after...

I put this off at 50 and then did it at 55. It really is not a big deal. The prep is what sucks. The procedure was cake. Some people told me they were farting their brains out afterwards. I did not experience this. I had one polyp that was super small. It was removed and tested benign. I was riding the next day. I was told to schedule another in 4 years. Usually they say every 5, so this may be a tactic to get us procrastinators to start thinking about it and actually hit the 5 year mark. The link someone posted previously gives a light hearted but very accurate description of the experience.

I put this off at 50 and then did it at 55. It really is not a big deal. The prep is what sucks. The procedure was cake. Some people told me they were farting their brains out afterwards. I did not experience this. I had one polyp that was super small. It was removed and tested benign. I was riding the next day. I was told to schedule another in 4 years. Usually they say every 5, so this may be a tactic to get us procrastinators to start thinking about it and actually hit the 5 year mark. The link someone posted previously gives a light hearted but very accurate description of the experience.
That was my next question if they find a polyp whether they then use another more invasive tool. Good to hear all clear with you. My original appointment was just when COVID hit so delayed till now.

That was my next question if they find a polyp whether they then use another more invasive tool. Good to hear all clear with you. My original appointment was just when COVID hit so delayed till now.
The prep is the worst, you will crap like mad so that it clears you out. The actual procedure is cake, they put you out. Yes, some folk say they fart like crazy afterward because they pump air into you to make the process easier. Most people will be told they found something and they took care of it and that’s great, it’s way better than hearing that there is a problem. BETTER TO FIND IT EARLY SO DON’T DELAY ANY LONGER!
There seems to be a big rise in colon cancer and that’s an easy way to spot it early when it’s easily treated. I know I sound like a broken record about this, but I can’t stress the importance of this enough. My life would be so much better if I hadn’t been stupid and assumed I was indestructible. Please don’t do the same.

They use the same scope, the instrument they use to grab the polyp goes right through the scope. Easy peasy.

The prep is the worst, you will crap like mad so that it clears you out. The actual procedure is cake, they put you out. Yes, some folk say they fart like crazy afterward because they pump air into you to make the process easier. Most people will be told they found something and they took care of it and that’s great, it’s way better than hearing that there is a problem. BETTER TO FIND IT EARLY SO DON’T DELAY ANY LONGER!
There seems to be a big rise in colon cancer and that’s an easy way to spot it early when it’s easily treated. I know I sound like a broken record about this, but I can’t stress the importance of this enough. My life would be so much better if I hadn’t been stupid and assumed I was indestructible. Please don’t do the same.
Hmm good point, so best to stay home tomorrow or wear depends, procedure is Friday.

I got my first one last year. I had no polyps removed or anything, but for me I believe I could have gone for a ride same day if I had it done early in the day. No soreness, or weird gas or anything like that afterwards.

Somehow I never get as knocked out as I am supposed to with anesthesia, so I was awake for much of it and I will forever have a visual of the inside of my colon in my memory. My wife, at the same doc and presumably same drugs, slept through the whole procedure, which I was told is the norm.

The prep wasn't pleasant, but....I felt great afterwards to be honest. Perhaps TMI, but I think just getting fully "cleaned out" helped my digestive system in general afterwards.

Overall, the whole thing was no big deal, and I was pretty nervous about it going in.

I got my first one last year. I had no polyps removed or anything, but for me I believe I could have gone for a ride same day if I had it done early in the day. No soreness, or weird gas or anything like that afterwards.

Somehow I never get as knocked out as I am supposed to with anesthesia, so I was awake for much of it and I will forever have a visual of the inside of my colon in my memory. My wife, at the same doc and presumably same drugs, slept through the whole procedure, which I was told is the norm.

The prep wasn't pleasant, but....I felt great afterwards to be honest. Perhaps TMI, but I think just getting fully "cleaned out" helped my digestive system in general afterwards.

Overall, the whole thing was no big deal, and I was pretty nervous about it going in.
I asked the doc at the consultation about skipping general anesthesia and he just stared at me and shook his head. I'm using my spouses doc and apparently the anesthesiologist is out of network. Currently out of work so just trying to save coins, but guess it's not negotiable...

Hmm good point, so best to stay home tomorrow or wear depends, procedure is Friday.
I imagine you are joking about the depends, but if not, just realize that there is no stopping what that prep liquid causes. When it hits you, you will not want to be more than 20’ from a toilet. And even if you think you can’t possibly need that 2nd batch, drink it anyway. It’s kind of a mental game. Waiting, waiting, waiting, then OH FUCK MAKE IT STOP.

I felt that the prep was out of my system as soon as it cleaned me out before the procedure. I went for a ride the next day with no issues. Same day would be fine depending on how fast you shake the anesthesia's effects. I was pretty out of it for most of the day, so I did not even consider it but not because I felt anything physically as a result of the procedure.

Back
Top Bottom